• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone have any favorite recipes?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My current favorite is a marinara sauce that I got from the New York Times.

It is rather easy to make. Two 14 oz or 1 28 oz can of good tomatoes. That means something from the top shelf at the super market. Mutti crushed tomatoes are very good. If you can get Cento San Marzano tomatoes at a reasonable price that is better. Be careful. Cento has quite a few non-San Marzano tomtoes. And for U.S. Brands DiNapoli is quite tasty. Seven cloves of garlic slivered. A quarter cup of EVOO and a good brand will not hurt here either. Fresh basil. If I am going to be using some in a day or two I will get a five ounce container for $5.00. If am only going to be cooking this I get the next size down. It is a quarter of the size but only half as much. In other words, on a per pound basis it is twice as much. Red pepper flakes to taste. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Start with the oil in the pan. Add the red pepper flakes or skip them if you hate hot, and the garlic. Turn the pan on to medium The New York times article says heat until it sizzles, but I do like to cook it for a minute or so. Add your tomatoes, crushed or whole. If whole you either have to hand crush them or use an implement as the sauce cooks. Not to worry you have enough time. I always rinse the cans out a bit with water to get all of the tomato out and I am going to be reducing a bit as it cooks anyway.

Once it boils add in the whole basis leaves. Let them wilt down and stir occasionally. About ten minutes in add some pepper. I usually wait until twenty minutes before I begin to add salt. Season to taste.

At about the half hour mark something fantastic happens. It is a sauce that tastes okay at about 25 minutes, but soon after that it goes to Oh! My! Gawd!. I have not had a person that has not flipped over this sauce and it is pretty easy.

Don't cheap out on the tomatoes. Good tomatoes are worth the money that you spend on them.

At the end you can take out the basil or leave it in. If you like some fresh Italian parsley looks nice but it does not need anything else at this time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I make something similar to this but I use pork and I pan fry the noodles until they're crispy and serve it on top of them. The sauce is the same and I add whatever vegies I have on hand.

Chicken Chow Mein with Best Chow Mein Sauce! - NatashasKitchen.com
Interesting. Is that British or Australian? The reason that I ask is because of some of the terms. There are countless different chili peppers in the world. Here we tend to go by name. A bell pepper, regardless of color, would have no heat at all. A poblamo or Anaheim pepper are pretty mild also, but have a different flavor. Jalapeno's, usually green, are slightly hot. A Fresno pepper looks like a jalapeno, but it is red and slightly hotter with a slightly different flavor. Serrano peppers are smaller than jalapeno's but definitely have more kick. And then there are the habanero peppers. I like my hot sauce to be habanero or ghost pepper based. I can always get habaneros but I have as yet to see a ghost pepper or hotter in the store.

Oh, and due to our Latino population we call coriander cilantro here.

At any rate what do they mean by "red peppers"?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Interesting. Is that British or Australian? The reason that I ask is because of some of the terms. There are countless different chili peppers in the world. Here we tend to go by name. A bell pepper, regardless of color, would have no heat at all. A poblamo or Anaheim pepper are pretty mild also, but have a different flavor. Jalapeno's, usually green, are slightly hot. A Fresno pepper looks like a jalapeno, but it is red and slightly hotter with a slightly different flavor. Serrano peppers are smaller than jalapeno's but definitely have more kick. And then there are the habanero peppers. I like my hot sauce to be habanero or ghost pepper based. I can always get habaneros but I have as yet to see a ghost pepper or hotter in the store.

Oh, and due to our Latino population we call coriander cilantro here.

I'm guessing American, they use lbs and ounces. Maybe English, who knows. I don't see peppers mentioned in that recipe. What you call bell peppers we call capsicum and I think the English call them red peppers but I could be wrong. If it's the chow mein recipe recipe you're talking about.

I just follow the sauce recipe and throw in whatever but it's usually something like 1/2 kg (about a lb) of diced pork, broccoli, bean sprouts, red capsicum (bell pepper), a can of bamboo shoots and sometimes water chestnuts and pretty much anything else I have on hand carrots, celery or whatever.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It is rather easy to make. Two 14 oz or 1 28 oz can of good tomatoes. That means something from the top shelf at the super market. Mutti crushed tomatoes are very good. If you can get Cento San Marzano tomatoes at a reasonable price that is better. Be careful. Cento has quite a few non-San Marzano tomtoes. And for U.S. Brands DiNapoli is quite tasty. Seven cloves of garlic slivered. A quarter cup of EVOO and a good brand will not hurt here either. Fresh basil. If I am going to be using some in a day or two I will get a five ounce container for $5.00. If am only going to be cooking this I get the next size down. It is a quarter of the size but only half as much. In other words, on a per pound basis it is twice as much. Red pepper flakes to taste. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Start with the oil in the pan. Add the red pepper flakes or skip them if you hate hot, and the garlic. Turn the pan on to medium The New York times article says heat until it sizzles, but I do like to cook it for a minute or so. Add your tomatoes, crushed or whole. If whole you either have to hand crush them or use an implement as the sauce cooks. Not to worry you have enough time. I always rinse the cans out a bit with water to get all of the tomato out and I am going to be reducing a bit as it cooks anyway.

Once it boils add in the whole basis leaves. Let them wilt down and stir occasionally. About ten minutes in add some pepper. I usually wait until twenty minutes before I begin to add salt. Season to taste.

At about the half hour mark something fantastic happens. It is a sauce that tastes okay at about 25 minutes, but soon after that it goes to Oh! My! Gawd!. I have not had a person that has not flipped over this sauce and it is pretty easy.

Don't cheap out on the tomatoes. Good tomatoes are worth the money that you spend on them.

At the end you can take out the basil or leave it in. If you like some fresh Italian parsley looks nice but it does not need anything else at this time.
I make this too, but find the magic ingredient is to fry a few anchovy fillets with the garlic and crushed dried chilli in the olive oil, before the tinned Italian tomatoes go in (Ideally the chopped tomatoes, if you can get these in tins, rather than whole ones). The anchovies disintegrate, with a bit of gentle assistance from your spatula. They add to the flavour without being in any way overtly fishy. I also add fresh, torn basil leaves on top at the end, so you get that wonderful smell that complements tomatoes so well. The sauce needs to simmer for at least 30 mins, preferably 45. It thickens as it reduces and as the oil emulsifies with the acid juice from the tomatoes. I've never tried adding basil earlier and letting it cook in the sauce, thinking the flavour would be lost. Maybe I should try.

I often have this sauce with pasta tossed with fried slices of courgette. I had this once years ago, in a hotel in Syracuse, and thought how brilliant and simple it was.

I also use it - without the added chilli - for polpette (pork mince meatballs wth fennel), as I put chilli in the meatballs. For enough polpette for 4:-

500 pork mince
60g breadcrumbs
10g fennel seeds, briefly toasted and crushed in a mortar
pinch or two dried chilli flakes
1 clove garlic, crushed with salt in the mortar
handful chopped parsley
one beaten egg, to bind the ingredients
twist of pepper (as for salt, the amount in the crushed garlic paste should be enough)

Mix and divide into 16 balls. Meanwhile preheat a roasting tin in the oven to hot (220C), when hot add olive oil to coat the base, put in the polpette, turn after 10 mins and again after a further 10 so 30 mins cooking in all, then take from the oven and add to the tomato sauce and let that bubble gently for 10 mins while you cook the pasta (I use linguine for this). So when making the sauce for this you need a big enough pan to accommodate the meatballs at the end.

It goes without saying that grated parmesan on the table is crucial to all such dishes.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

What we brits call red peppers others may call capsicums or bell peppers. Not the small hot things.

That site is written by a Ukrainian but references...

"Dollars."
"US Customary" amounts.
"Cup of cabbage" : American or possibly someone in a mental institution.
Plus the site ends in com. (Not definitive but suggestive).

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Goats cheese with fig either in a salad or as a sandwich, my go to snack on a hot summers day.

Well prepared fugu. There is no other way to prepare it or it kills you. Imagine chicken of the sea.

Spinach wilted in peanut butter sauce sounds wierd, but sitting on top of a spicy stir fry, or roast red peppers (bell peppers) and couscous is nice. I add fried chicken pieces (or fried tofu for our vegi contingent)

I do love korai curry. It's one of the dishes I've missed in France where indian food is rare. I had 2 take aways, one lamb, one chicken during my few days in England.

Talking of England, the good old bacon sandwich for breakfast was also a regular.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I think my actual favourite recipe is this one, from Rick Stein, for rabbit stew with mustard and tarragon: Rick Stein's French rabbit stew recipe

My tips for executing this recipe in practice are:-
- I find a single rabbit from the butcher weighs ~1.2kg so one will do fine, cut into 8 pieces,
- don't skimp on the marinading time. Plan ahead a bit and give it the full 4hrs.
- you can use a couple of rashers of smoked streaky bacon cut into strips, in place of lardons,
- season the rabbit pieces after browning,
- 1/4bbl white wine (187.5ml) is fine,
- The amount of tarragon looks large but you do need it,
- You can use a dollop of double cream in place of crème fraîche,
- Dijon mustard tends to stay in lumps so stir in well when adding the extra at the end.

This goes very well with some boiled new or Charlotte potatoes and green beans, or even broad beans.

As Stein says, if you can't get, or are squeamish about, rabbit you can use skinned chicken pieces instead. But rabbit is the real deal.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I think my actual favourite recipe is this one, from Rick Stein, for rabbit stew with mustard and tarragon: Rick Stein's French rabbit stew recipe

- I find a single rabbit from the butcher weighs ~1.2kg so one will do fine, cut into 8 pieces,
- don't skimp on the marinading time. Plan ahead a bit and give it the full 4hrs.
- you can use a couple of rashers of smoked streaky bacon cut into strips, in place of lardons,
- Dijon mustard tends to stay in lumps so stir in well when adding the extra at the end.

This goes very well with some boiled new or Charlotte potatoes and green beans, or even broad beans.

As Stein says, if you can't get, or are squeamish about, rabbit you can use skinned chicken pieces instead. But rabbit is the real deal.

Should this be under a spoiler so @Dan From Smithville doesn't get spooked.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Should this be under a spoiler so @Dan From Smithville doesn't get spooked.

I think that I have seen this before. The hard part is getting the rabbit here. I don't think that I have ever seen rabbit for sale.

@Dan From Smithville has powerful friends in the US.:eek::eek:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think that I have seen this before. The hard part is getting the rabbit here. I don't think that I have ever seen rabbit for sale.

@Dan From Smithville has powerful friends in the US.:eek::eek:
I imagine it must be around in the rural communities, but I can imagine it may be hard to get in the cities.

I'm very lucky in having an excellent butcher across Clapham Common from where I live: M.Moen & Sons. He has decided to cater to the considerable French community that we have as a result of the presence of a feeder school for the Lycée Charles de Gaulle in S. Kensington. You don't see rabbit in London supermarkets. But this guy has all sorts of goodies: onglet(=hanger steak, I think), boudins blancs, calves' liver, pheasants, ginormous ducks, and ginormous duck breasts sold separately, etc.

And yes I may well have posted this recipe before, as it is a personal favourite.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Masala Dosa: Masala Dosa
Dal Bati: Daal Baati Recipe: How to make Daal Baati Recipe at Home | Home made Daal Baati Recipe - Times Food
(Baati is basically baked flour ball, broken and seeped in clarified butter, eaten with lentils/jaggery)
Masala Dosa, Dal Bati
Instant-Dosa.jpg
1571482036-daal%20baati.jpg

Monj Haak - Kohlrabi cooked in Kashmiri Style
muddi.jpg

(With lots of soup and rice)

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I have one not too far from my place. About six miles away. One thing great about WinCo are the bulk herbs and spices. So cheap!

If they have lacone they might have rabbit.
The one I was in a couple of days ago had rabbit for $7.98/lb
I have a difficult time finding lamb.