• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary: Sufi Soul

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Hello folks,

Google:

Sufi.Soul Documentary

Youtube playlist in 5 parts:

Part 1:

[youtube]ha0T5Vro6_w[/youtube]
Sufi.Soul.Channel4.Documentary part 1 - YouTube

I posted this here as well, but am not getting much response on it.

I put it there, in 'comparative' because I wished to share something good with folks about Islam and perhaps show a different side of what far too many people negatively believe.

What I'd like to know is if you folks have any comments or thoughts to share on this documentary and Sufism as it's presented here and as it exists, which might not be different at all...

I'm looking for a more personal experience of it from Muslims as well as those who label themselves as Sufi.

(And if you feel they are some-how/some-what separate and/or district, that is, that one isn't the other, please comment on that as well)

In my time/study/practice, Sufi writings and understanding have touched me deeply.
Early in my life it often left me wishing something like this had existed in my Protestant upbringing... cause surely I'd not have left to explore alternative explanations and languages of reverence.

I've found out more about Christian Mysticism, which has been a nice link the chain between my Christian up bringing and Dharma practice I engaged in 10 years ago.

Yet, Sufism still beckons me to explore and take the plunge.

The line of this movie that touch me the most deeply is when a teacher explains that Sufis Love God more than Fear God.... that is how I experience and engage Life-Practice.

So please, this can be a general Sufi conversation if nothing else.
But I'd like to hear more from my Muslim Friends specifically, which is why I also started a post here to talk.

:namaste
SageTree

Last edited:

fenrisx

Hello folks,

Google:

Sufi.Soul Documentary

Youtube playlist in 5 parts:

Part 1:

[youtube]ha0T5Vro6_w[/youtube]
Sufi.Soul.Channel4.Documentary part 1 - YouTube

I posted this here as well, but am not getting much response on it.

I put it there, in 'comparative' because I wished to share something good with folks about Islam and perhaps show a different side of what far too many people negatively believe.

What I'd like to know is if you folks have any comments or thoughts to share on this documentary and Sufism as it's presented here and as it exists, which might not be different at all...

I'm looking for a more personal experience of it from Muslims as well as those who label themselves as Sufi.

(And if you feel they are some-how/some-what separate and/or district, that is, that one isn't the other, please comment on that as well)

In my time/study/practice, Sufi writings and understanding have touched me deeply.
Early in my life it often left me wishing something like this had existed in my Protestant upbringing... cause surely I'd not have left to explore alternative explanations and languages of reverence.

I've found out more about Christian Mysticism, which has been a nice link the chain between my Christian up bringing and Dharma practice I engaged in 10 years ago.

Yet, Sufism still beckons me to explore and take the plunge.

The line of this movie that touch me the most deeply is when a teacher explains that Sufis Love God more than Fear God.... that is how I experience and engage Life-Practice.

So please, this can be a general Sufi conversation if nothing else.
But I'd like to hear more from my Muslim Friends specifically, which is why I also started a post here to talk.

SageTree

As a Sufi, I look forward of hearing of your journey. May God keep and guide you safely.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
As a Sufi, I look forward of hearing of your journey. May God keep and guide you safely.

Thank you, and I wish you the same my Friend.

My journey might be best described via the heart and intention felt in my posts,
Unless you have more specific questions, it's sometimes hard for me, or not completely timely/necessary to share it.

How did you come to know the Sufi Way?

SageTree

fenrisx

Thank you, and I wish you the same my Friend.

My journey might be best described via the heart and intention felt in my posts,
Unless you have more specific questions, it's sometimes hard for me, or not completely timely/necessary to share it.

How did you come to know the Sufi Way?

SageTree

There's no dramatic story to tell, I just found my way to a linking point between two paths and woke up one day. Best way I can put it.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
abrahamic and dharmic.

Interesting.

I hope you can offer me some advice from sharing this,

I said a little about myself in the OP and how I came from a Protestant family, found the Dharma and eventually that open-mind led to reading more about other Abrahamic faiths as well as Christianity.

I'd be hard pressed to say I'm one labeled religion as to my Path, that is...
I don't know what to 'market' myself as, fore I know what I 'am'. ;)

The Mystical Paths/Aspects of the Abrahamics are what resounded with me in my reading, no doubt influenced from the connection I experienced learning/practicing the Dharma and Unity.

Buddhism taught me much about Non-dual reality, as well as Sanatan Dharma.
And specifically, SD language of reverence in the Upanishads namely, sounded like the Formless Formlessness that I 'pictured' God/Ground of Being, to be.

The first Mystic branch, and the only for a long time, was Sufism.
It just made a lot of sense and was such a sweet sound to my Soul.

My Wife and I particularly like to use the story of Rumi and Shams allegorically for our Spiritual Quest together... Our Marriage, and that is part of my Interest/Connection.

The other part of that for me is my own interest in what The Qur'an offers me, Spiritual food.

As well, in an interfaith study group (Abrahamic Faiths) when I talk about a scripture or add my opinion the Muslim folks are often the people agreeing, nodding, smiling about what I am saying... as well as the Judaic folk as well. Least interested of all are the Christians, which I feel is a 'tell' of where I am at.

At best, in Christian terms I'd be a Unitarian.... another tell.

So what I'm saying is that Sufism expresses what I feel and how I experience very very much.

The Christian Mystical language is nice and all, but it's still overtly Trinitarian most often, and while I'm fine with 'seeing the Oneness' it feels like something to wade past to get to the point.

So what I'm saying is that Sufism for me seems to express the Best of what I've learned in studying Dharma and the gems from the Abrahamics...

I'm very interested in knowing more about Sufism:

How do Sufis practice Islam?
How does it differ from one who aligns themselves with Sunni/Shia?
Maybe you could say, How formal is the process of 'being' a Sufi?

I recognize that these are labels and a "sufi", might not be a Sufi officially, if you follow what I mean?

However, I am interested to know more of the formalities of becoming Sufi.

Do you feel its possible to be another religion or no labeled path and still 'be' a Sufi?

Thanks for engaging me in this conversation.
I realize it's a little scattered and I'm not maybe sure exactly what I want to ask....
So in that case, thank you for talking this out with me and helping me explore something that has been very much in the front of my mind lately.

I feel like I'm on the threshold.... not to make a pun :)

Your Friend,
SageTree

fenrisx

I'm very interested in knowing more about Sufism:

How do Sufis practice Islam?

That will vary on a great many things, every Order tends to have it's own personality. Some orders here in the West allow Initiation without nessicary conversion to further confuse you.

How does it differ from one who aligns themselves with Sunni/Shia?

Sufi orders can be Sunni or Shia.

Maybe you could say, How formal is the process of 'being' a Sufi?

Again this is going to vary with the Order you would be initiated into. I can really only give my own experience in this case. I had a formal Byatt (Initation), but the group itself, has services on Sunday, but they can vary in content, there are study groups that will vary even more, and there are events that usually center around a theme, as well as retreats and an Ordination process, which so far is not as formal as you might think, intimate is a better word. There's a Buddhist like feel to it in that regard.

I recognize that these are labels and a "sufi", might not be a Sufi officially, if you follow what I mean?

Again, the easiest answer to that, is it will depend greatly on the Order you join and the teacher you find at the point.

However, I am interested to know more of the formalities of becoming Sufi.

The first step is the Byatt or Initiation.

Do you feel its possible to be another religion or no labeled path and still 'be' a Sufi?

Some would tell you that it's a stepping stone on the path, others don't make a big deal of it. I know in the West, the Sufi Order International and the threshold Society claim to allow this.

Thanks for engaging me in this conversation.
I realize it's a little scattered and I'm not maybe sure exactly what I want to ask....
So in that case, thank you for talking this out with me and helping me explore something that has been very much in the front of my mind lately.

I feel like I'm on the threshold.... not to make a pun

Pun noted, sounds like you know who you're thinking of joining.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
First of all, thank you for your help and hope this won't be the last time we speak about this :)

Some would tell you that it's a stepping stone on the path, others don't make a big deal of it. I know in the West, the Sufi Order International and the threshold Society claim to allow this.

Could you explain this more. It's a tad vague and the other parts I just want to make sure I understand.

What is 'stepping stone' vs 'not a big deal'?

And what they 'allow' in other words is participation of non-Sufi, 'sufis'?

Pun noted, sounds like you know who you're thinking of joining.

Perhaps if there was something near by, like an official Sufi centre I would consider visiting and getting to know it better.

I'm not aware what the local Mosque scene is like in regard to Sufism.

Currently I'm in the midst of moving as well, so I'm not sure what will be available the next time I settle.

Is there anything you would recommend reading for me at least in this moment.

Also.... super naive questions....
I'm always curious about appearance matters.
Like, I wear a gold wedding ring...
Two silver hoop ear rings...
And also wonder if folks will care about the length of my hair or beard.

These are general and probably also individual order specific...
So I'm just asking if you could comment on these questions in your own experience.

When joining a group of people I don't wish to cause much of a stir over such things..
And maybe it's not even a necessary thought to be having.

Thanks my Friend,
SageTree

fenrisx

First of all, thank you for your help and hope this won't be the last time we speak about this :)

Could you explain this more. It's a tad vague and the other parts I just want to make sure I understand.

What is 'stepping stone' vs 'not a big deal'?

Some would see a stepping stone as the conversion isn't immediate, it occurs over time, as you follow the path, not a big deal meaning in the west, there are Universal Sufi Orders, the Teacher being a Muslim, but some of his Initiated Mureeds amy not be. The SOI and Threshhold Society in the west Initiate folks of all Faiths who desire following the Path.

And what they 'allow' in other words is participation of non-Sufi, 'sufis'?

See above, not trying to be cryptic, it just isn't nessicarily straight forward.

Perhaps if there was something near by, like an official Sufi centre I would consider visiting and getting to know it better.

http://sufism.org thresh hold society
Sufi Order International North America Sufi Order International

You can start there.

Last edited:

fenrisx

Also.... super naive questions....
I'm always curious about appearance matters.
Like, I wear a gold wedding ring...
Two silver hoop ear rings...
And also wonder if folks will care about the length of my hair or beard.

These are general and probably also individual order specific...
So I'm just asking if you could comment on these questions in your own experience.

When joining a group of people I don't wish to cause much of a stir over such things..
And maybe it's not even a necessary thought to be having.

Thanks my Friend,
SageTree

In the Order I belong to, likely not a big deal, they have attracted a wide variety of folks so not niave persay, or a problem.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Some would see a stepping stone as the conversion isn't immediate, it occurs over time, as you follow the path, not a big deal meaning in the west, there are Universal Sufi Orders, the Teacher being a Muslim, but some of his Initiated Mureeds amy not be. The SOI and Threshhold Society in the west Initiate folks of all Faiths who desire following the Path.

see above, not trying to be cryptic, it just isn't nessicarily straight forward.

The Threshold Society - The Mevlevi Order thresh hold society
Sufi Order International North America Sufi Order International

You can start there.
\