• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you Think we have Free Will

Do you Think we have Free Will

• Total voters

leroy

* In this context Free Will is defined as the ability to make choices that are not fully determined by past events nor fully random

I know this is a hard question and that nobody claims to have 100% certanity..... but in your opinion what is more likely to be true?... do you think humans have the aility to make choices ?

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
* In this context Free Will is defined as the ability to make choices (atleast Sometimes)

I know this is a hard question and that nobody claims to have 100% certanity..... but in your opinion what is more likely to be true?... do you think humans have the aility to make choices ?

I had voted on the second alternative, but then after reading how you are defining the term I changed to the first one.

There is little dispute over whether we make choices. The crux of the issue is whether those choices have an outcome determined by something other than past events or randomness.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
* In this context Free Will is defined as the ability to make choices (atleast Sometimes)

I don't think it can be answered strictly "yes" or "no," so I didn't cast a vote.

One could say that a rat going through a maze has the ability to make choices to go down one path or another. If that qualifies as "free will," then perhaps it might be.

libre

Skylark
“man is condemned to be free. Condemned, because he did not create himself, in other respect is free; because, once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.” - Jean-Paul Sartre.

Not only are we able to make decisions, the existentialist perceives that there is no way we can avoid making them even if we want to.

leroy

I had voted on the second alternative, but then after reading how you are defining the term I changed to the first one.

There is little dispute over whether we make choices. The crux of the issue is whether those choices have an outcome determined by something other than past events or randomness.
In my opinion this is redundant, choices by definition are not fully determined by past events nor randomness..... but thanks for the feedback.... I changed the definition ...

danieldemol

Premium Member
* In this context Free Will is defined as the ability to make choices that are not fully determined by past events nor fully random
All our choices are either fully predetermined, fully random, or some mixture of the two and none of these options can fairly be described as "free" without distorting the meaning of free to mean something other than free in my view.

so I pretty much ignored your ultrasemantic definition of free to vote no since what the Bible interpreters referred to as free will is will such that no one is to blame other than the agent making the choice, which would require that choices are neither predetermined, random, nor any mixture of the two in my view.

I also see it as valueless to vote for the ultrasemantic definition because as time goes on you keep changing it as pointed out above, so I simply couldn't guarantee the outcome of the poll to be meaningful unless we vote using the standard relevant meaning of freewill as opposed to your constantly shifting goal posts.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A person is free to will what they will. No one can force someone else to will differently. So internally there is freedom. I do not think people are genetically programmed to respond to the environment. Actions can be forced, but will is not forceable.

As far as wants and desires go there are probably limits. Some people may be slave to their wants and desires, but I don't think that is true of all people.

I think it entirely self evident that my will is my own and no one elses. So in many senses free will exists.

Perhaps in one sense will is not free, and that would be to will otherwise than what you do will.

Perhaps there are a lot of factors that go into what a person wills. However what a person wills is who they are, and no one else, and nothing else decides that; and that's free will as well.

InChrist

Free4ever

Yes, I think humans have free will and the ability to make choices.

flowerpower

I voted "yes" but I wish the poll had "other" as an option.

I've always kind of thought "yes" but, the more I see and experience, the more I doubt it.

Then again, the entire concept of "free will" seems reductive to me these days - like we have free will but only as far as any given person can conceive of it, which is not at all. So it's a paradox.

The whole discussion seems to transcend time and space too which sucks as much as it inspires awe.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
We are responsible for our choices, but we are mostly shaped by our surroundings. If I am evil because of my background, I am nevertheless evil. If I am good because of my background, I still am good. My choices display who I am.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Well, if it's not fully determined by past events nor fully randam

Then humans have occasionally free will (those moments that are not determined by past events)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In my opinion this is redundant, choices by definition are not fully determined by past events nor randomness..... but thanks for the feedback.... I changed the definition ...

Ok. Changed my vote accordingly then.

leroy

All our choices are either fully predetermined, fully random, or some mixture of the two and none of these options can fairly be described as "free" without distorting the meaning of free to mean something other than free in my view.

so I pretty much ignored your ultrasemantic definition of free to vote no since what the Bible interpreters referred to as free will is will such that no one is to blame other than the agent making the choice, which would require that choices are neither predetermined, random, nor any mixture of the two in my view.

I also see it as valueless to vote for the ultrasemantic definition because as time goes on you keep changing it as pointed out above, so I simply couldn't guarantee the outcome of the poll to be meaningful unless we vote using the standard relevant meaning of freewill as opposed to your constantly shifting goal posts.
I am not trying top play semantics; I am using the standard definition of free will………… feel free to quote the actual definition and explain why is that definition different form mine

Last edited: