• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think revenge is okay?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally don't believe in karma, even with an "h" lol. Any person and most situations can be manipulated.

One thing most people can't manipulate is their own sub-conscious. Generally, if we do something to bruise our conscience, it'll figure out some way to get even.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
One thing most people can't manipulate is their own sub-conscious. Generally, if we do something to bruise our conscience, it'll figure out some way to get even.

You speak of the conscience as if it's some separate entity. You are your consciousness, so there's no need to manipulate it.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You speak of the conscience as if it's some separate entity. You are your consciousness, so there's no need to manipulate it.

"Conscience" and "consciousness" are two separate things.

In a way, conscience is a separate entity from our conscious selves. We can consciously rationalize our actions to our own (conscious) satisfaction but (just my belief) there's some part of our mind that determines right from wrong objectively and doesn't accept excuses.

That's what I think this is saying:
Matthew 7:2.
New International Version (©2011)
"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

The way I interpret this is that once you download a set of standards into your psychological hard drive, your mind---at least sub-consciously--is going to apply that standard universally, which means it's going to automatically hold you to the same standard.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
"Conscience" and "consciousness" are two separate things.

In a way, conscience is a separate entity from our conscious selves. We can consciously rationalize our actions to our own (conscious) satisfaction but (just my belief) there's some part of our mind that determines right from wrong objectively and doesn't accept excuses.

That's what I think this is saying:
Matthew 7:2.
New International Version (©2011)
"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

The way I interpret this is that once you download a set of standards into your psychological hard drive, your mind---at least sub-consciously--is going to apply that standard universally, which means it's going to automatically hold you to the same standard.

But nothing's stopping you from changing your mind. It is in fact you that's thinking what you're thinking.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
But nothing's stopping you from changing your mind. It is in fact you that's thinking what you're thinking.

You can't just decide to re-program your core values and beliefs, any more than you could change what's on your hard drive by opening another browser. Convictions are only semi-voluntary, that is: while our opinions may be subject to our whims/moods/agendas, convictions run deeper than that. Our convictions are the result of a lifetime's worth of information gathering and processing, and changing those is a much more complicated process, and much less subject to our own convenience.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
You can't just decide to re-program your core values and beliefs, any more than you could change what's on your hard drive by opening another browser. Convictions are only semi-voluntary, that is: while our opinions may be subject to our whims/moods/agendas, convictions run deeper than that. Our convictions are the result of a lifetime's worth of information gathering and processing, and changing those is a much more complicated process, and much less subject to our own convenience.

I'm not saying you're capable of changing your values overnight, just that you are in fact capable of changing them.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not saying you're capable of changing your values overnight, just that you are in fact capable of changing them.

True, but then you'll just wind up with a new set of values that you'd still be applying universally. :D

The only exception to that would be if someone's core convictions included the belief that different standards of behavior should apply to different people, ie., : that it's OK for some people to lie/cheat/steal/etc., but not others.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Sure I did... as a child.

But I had a mom, you see, who told me that I shouldn't do something that I know is wrong just because others did something wrong to me. "Two wrongs don't make a right," she said, and "That would make you just as bad as them" (and we all know we want to aspire to that higher standard of "good").

An adult mentality thinks for itself.

That leads to different results that vary according to how dependent on the situation you consider the morality of an action to be.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That leads to different results that vary according to how dependent on the situation you consider the morality of an action to be.
Like how? If it's vengeance we're talking about, it's pretty much the same result every time, as there is only one moral decision: I hurt; the other must be made to hurt as much as or in the same way that I do.