• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think Halloween is literally evil?

Frank Goad

Do you think Halloween is literally evil?:)I would say yes.I think Halloween has dark tones and light tones to it.

Lain

I don't think it is. To me it's just a day to remember the damned and the evil things in this world. But I am not sure what you mean by "literally evil," but if it's that (what I just said) then yes I'd agree.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No, I know it's not. Friends of mine have made a fun day for children with helpful fairies and so forth. There's nothing at all dark about what they've created.

RestlessSoul

All Hallows’ Eve precedes the Christian festival of All Hallows’ Day, which is a day for remembering, and praying for the souls of the dead. It may well have been a pagan festival before this.

Halloween with pumpkins, bats, decorations, trick or treat etc, is very much a recent, American innovation. Some families with kids observe that aspect of it in the U.K., but when I was a kid, Guy Fawkes Night on November 5th was a much bigger festival. That one seems to be dying out a bit, apart from a few public fireworks displays, which also coincide with Diwali fireworks.

The Crimson Universe

All Hallows’ Eve precedes the Christian festival of All Hallows’ Day, which is a day for remembering, and praying for the souls of the dead. It may well have been a pagan festival before this.

Halloween with pumpkins, bats, decorations, trick or treat etc, is very much a recent, American innovation. Some families with kids observe that aspect of it in the U.K., but when I was a kid, Guy Fawkes Night on November 5th was a much bigger festival. That one seems to be dying out a bit, apart from a few public fireworks displays, which also coincide with Diwali fireworks.

I read a book long ago where there was a mention of a festival called 'Samhain' which was celebrated before Halloweeen became popular. On the night of Samhain the veil between the physical world and the spirit world becomes thin and on this night the spirits of the dead come down to Earth where they feast on the offerings left by their relatives. Do you think this Samhain is that pagan festival you were speaking of?

RestlessSoul

I read a book long ago where there was a mention of a festival called 'Samhain' which was celebrated before Halloweeen became popular. On the night of Samhain the veil between the physical world and the spirit world becomes thin and on this night the spirits of the dead come down to Earth where they feast on the offerings left by their relatives. Do you think this Samhain is that pagan festival you were speaking of?

Yeah, that rings a bell, could be the one. Most religious festivals follow the rhythm of the seasons in some way. Halloween is about a month from the autumn equinox, when day has begun to give way to night.