• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think Christianity is a cult?Yes or no?And why or why not?

CharmingOwl

I think any system of belief with sins or morals encoded can become a cult or at least have characteristics of one. While it's too large and diverse to be called a cult entirely, the Abrahamic religions have great potential to become cults with belief in sin and stuff. The mentality of "There can only be one correct interpretation of our holy book." does not help the situation either.

InvestigateTruth

Do you think Christianity is a cult?Yes or no?And why or why not? No.For me.Because I am Methodist.And I was literally raised Christian.But was baptized at 18.And became Methodist.Because that is were my heart lead me.:)
Christianity is a Faith. There are many denominations though. It is possible that some of these denominations are cults. I don't know any specific though. But certainly Jesus established a Faith, not a cult.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do you think Christianity is a cult?Yes or no?And why or why not? No.For me.Because I am Methodist.And I was literally raised Christian.But was baptized at 18.And became Methodist.Because that is were my heart lead me.:)
It depends on what you mean by cult.

One definition is "a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object." Since in Christianity one's devotion is directed towards Jesus, Christianity would meet this definition. Indeed most religions would.

Another definition is "a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister." That would have been true about Christianity when it first started, but is not true about it now.

I think a third definition of cult has been forming since the seventies, as referring to religions that are dangerous and toxic, like the People's Temple, or the Heaven's Gate cult or Branch Davidian. So while this is not a formal definition of cult yet, I will nevertheless discuss it. These sort of groups are usually led by an authoritarian charismatic leader who exerts unreasonable control over the lives of the members. Control usually extends even over the sex lives. Fear is used to keep people in line, whether fear of eternal damnation, fear of being "left behind" at the rapture, fear of being shunned, etc. It has an unusually strong idea that believers are separate from non-believers, and encourages members to break off relationships with family and friends who are not of the faith.

As to whether Christianity is that sort of toxic faith, it depends largely on the individual church or denomination. Most Christian churches are not that way. But any church that hires a charismatic authoritarian pastor runs the risk of becoming toxic. Small independent churches seem to be most at risk, but you can also have entire denominations, where the denominational headquarters fills the role of leader.

Frank, you have stated that you think Christianity is not a cult, but you didn't define cult, so I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

Last edited:

Frank Goad

It depends on what you mean by cult.

One definition is "a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object." Since in Christianity one's devotion is directed towards Jesus, Christianity would meet this definition. Indeed most religions would.

Another definition is "a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister." That would have been true about Christianity when it first started, but is not true about it now.

I think a third definition of cult has been forming since the seventies, as referring to religions that are dangerous and toxic, like the People's Temple, or the Heaven's Gate cult or Branch Davidian. So while this is not a formal definition of cult yet, I will nevertheless discuss it. These sort of groups are usually led by an authoritarian charismatic leader who exerts unreasonable control over the lives of the members. Control usually extends even over the sex lives. Fear is used to keep people in line, whether fear of eternal damnation, fear of being "left behind" at the rapture, fear of being shunned, etc. It has an unusually strong idea that believers are separate from non-believers, and encourages members to break off relationships with family and friends who are not of the faith.

As to whether Christianity is that sort of toxic faith, it depends largely on the individual church or denomination. Most Christian churches are not that way. But any church that hires a charismatic authoritarian pastor runs the risk of becoming toxic. Small independent churches seem to be most at risk, but you can also have entire denominations, where the denominational headquarters fills the role of leader.

Frank, you have stated that you think Christianity is not a cult, but you didn't define cult, so I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate?
I think you hit the nail on the head what a cult is with you third definition.:)

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
No, I don't think Christianity is a cult. And it's not because it's large, old or that the prophet is already dead. It's because there is no litmus test of who is a Christian and who is not, and generally with most Christian denominations they don't exert much control over their members. There are a few Christian denominations, outliers, that many do not think are even Christian for this very reason, that some people think are cults. The vast majority of Christians are not in a cult however.