• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Take It Personally?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I was reading a thread (I won't say which one) in which someone seemed to get angry that someone else did not agree with him or her. I was going to post not to take it personally when someone else disagrees with you, but decided it could use it's own thread. I don't really want a debate, so I posted it here.
Do you take it personally when someone disagrees with you?
My answer: I used to, and I stopped it when I found out I was just making myself miserable. So now, if someone disagrees with me and says so, I don't take it personally at all.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think it depends on what the topic is. Like if someone says "all 19 year old girls are stupid whores," of course, I would disagree, and might feel a bit offended, because that's a mean thing to say. Of course, I wouldn't be too upset, because anyone who would say that wouldn't be worth me being upset over. Usually if I disagree with someone on something like that, I just try to stay away from them, but if it is something more reasonable, like "I think smoking should be banned completely," while I don't agree, I understand where they are coming from, and I won't get offended. I think it is really important to try to understand why someone thinks what they do, and if you just cannot figure it out, and they are mean, just stay away from them, because getting upset won't fix anything.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Most of the time, no I don't take it personally unless someone insults my children or my family, then I do tend to get angry about that.

misanthropic_clown

I must say I have a certain amount of pride which can feel bruised during some debates, but I always try to recognise that as a fault on my own part, and remain cautious about exacerbating friction in my responses.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't take it personally unless they clearly make it personal. I get frustrated sometimes, and might make more firy posts, but it's very rarely because I'm taking it personally.

tomspug

Absorbant
It only becomes personal when your intelligence or honesty or any other form of personal identity is openly questioned.

Trey of Diamonds

I don't take disagreement personally and I think it's because I came to terms with the fact that I could be wrong. A long time ago I realised that constant study will lead to a change in conclusions once thought true and more importantly, that it's ok to change your conclusions. I will occasionally passionately defend my position but that isn't the same as taking it personally.

What I will take personal is any attempt to force a conclusion on me. Even if the conclusion was correct, if I am forced to adopt it I will consider it wrong. I must be free to come to the conclusion on my own.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I usually don't (unless I'm in a bad mood or something). But I don't usually take it personally until someone makes it personal or just outright insults my view. Though I can't say I'm innocent of doing so, as I do find some views ridiculous.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I love it when people think I am wrong. I sometimes take it personal, but as quest and not out of anger. That's where the fun begins..