• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you stereotype people?

Aqualung

Tasty
Bouncing Ball said:
I do it and am totally not ashamed of it. I think of it as a handy way to point out groups and avarages.
Exactly. It's a good baseline to work from, that you can then modify to fit the actual person. Let's take jeffrey, since he started this thread. I have certain stereotypes about truck drives, RF posters, and many other things. When I read his posts, I either modify that conception, or it stays the same. For the most part, it stays the same. Most people are stereotypical in most areas.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Aqualung said:
Exactly. It's a good baseline to work from, that you can then modify to fit the actual person. Let's take jeffrey, since he started this thread. I have certain stereotypes about truck drives, RF posters, and many other things. When I read his posts, I either modify that conception, or it stays the same. For the most part, it stays the same. Most people are stereotypical in most areas.
I agree. You can look at their avatar, their title, their posts and form a different opinion of what you 1st thought.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Since I get alot of unwanted attention when I wear my trench coat out (It has gotten better with people seeing me at thier stores more often), I know how irritating stereotypes can be, and I aviod doing it. When I was pulled over the other day, I couldn't find my drivers liscense, so the cop told me to get into his car while he checked my registration, and when I steped out of my car, the first thing he said was "You got any guns or knives on you?"

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
jeffrey said:
But sometimes there stereotypes are completely wrong. Is it fair to that person you are stereotyping, forming an opinion about someone that in most cases, is completely false?
It's true. Because of my avatar, some people might think I'm something I'm not....like, er um, a stripper! :biglaugh:But I'm actually an Insurance Rep! Yeah, picture that one. :sarcastic

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Luke Wolf said:
...when I steped out of my car, the first thing he said was "You got any guns or knives on you?"
Um...:D...that wasn't stereotyping. The cops ask everyone that question.:p
Again, stereotypes are not created in a vaccuum, and they are not without positive merit.
This is very true, and we all do it. The key is not to let the stereotype override the ability to give people benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, you'll probably reinforce the stereotype that person has of whatever you are.;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
I think it's impossible not to stereotype people, especially those you don't know very well. What I think we should try to avoid is letting those stereotypes, (which we all know are not always accurate), influence any bias towards that group of people or person. Then we need to work through our stereotypes and get to know real people that break down those stereotypes.
Too right; I am as guilty as the rest.

I was walking through an underpass (I never like going through them on my own), and I heard some steps behind me; there was a guy, torn jeans, chunky chains, wearing a hoodie, he seemed to be trying to catch up with me; I was using one crutch.

He caught up with me, and handed me a glove I had dropped.......................What a fool I felt.:eek:

anders

michel said:
I was walking through an underpass (I never like going through them on my own), and I heard some steps behind me; there was a guy, torn jeans, chunky chains, wearing a hoodie, he seemed to be trying to catch up with me; I was using one crutch.

He caught up with me, and handed me a glove I had dropped.......................What a fool I felt.:eek:
Can't improve on that one for a lesson to be learned.

Ðanisty

I know I'm guilty of it. When I think of an accountant, I think of a small person with black rim glasses and a pocket protector.
Lol...I wish I more closely fit your stereotype. I'm not a small person. Actually, none of the accountants I work with fit your stereotype, but it's funny.

Of course I stereotype people. Everyone does it and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you are open to changing your mind. I learned a lesson a few weeks ago too. There's the black guy who does courier service around downtown Savannah...most of it on foot. He's always nicely dressed, well groomed, polite...not in the least bit scary. I was smoking a cigarette behind the building the other day and saw him walk by. As he approached me, I could see who he was and wasn't bothered one bit by the fact that he was wearing sweat pants and a hoodie because I knew who he was. I didn't think twice until I watched him walk away and realized that from behind, he looks no different than all the guys I assume are thugs. In actuality, it was just a cold day and it made sense he was wearing warm clothes. I felt stupid knowing that if I hadn't recognized him at first, I would have been suspicious of him.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Most people have a stereotype of truckers. Dirty, un-shaven, foul mouthed, uneducated. There are a few out there like that. but very few. And most people don't realize that 99.99% of everything you own and eat, took a truck to get it there. The average truck itself pays over 50k a year in highway and fuel tax. And alot of drivers have some form of college education. We're not as hollywood portrays

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Yes, of course we all sterotype even if we don't mean to. It's great when our subconscious first impressions don't pan out if they are negative.

One of my lifelong (mild) sterotypes that I can't seem to shake even though it's been proven wrong to me is....if a DJ has a really appealing voice and a great sense of humor (alternative music stations mostly), I tend to think of them as very good looking.

My husband who is an air traffic controller says the guys think the same thing if a female pilot comes on the air....the guys all wonder if she's good looking if she has a pleasant voice. So, of course they get the binos out to take a look on the tarmac! :) He says most of the time they're wrong as well.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i am fully prepared to put my hands down and say i hold stereotypical views

i seem to have this odd idea that all scientist are nerds who have an annual beer drinking contest - why its annual, i don't know, but it is :biglaugh:

Ðanisty

jeffrey said:
Most people have a stereotype of truckers. Dirty, un-shaven, foul mouthed, uneducated. There are a few out there like that. but very few. And most people don't realize that 99.99% of everything you own and eat, took a truck to get it there. The average truck itself pays over 50k a year in highway and fuel tax. And alot of drivers have some form of college education. We're not as hollywood portrays
My best friend's mother is a truck driver...tiniest woman I've ever met and really sweet. Nobody would ever guess she's a truck driver.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
its weird, i work on making sure i don't fall into the trap of making big stereotypes, i end up making stupid small ones lol

Smoke

Done here.
Not so much on occupation, but I do stereotype people in one respect by nationality. I have no hesitation sending a cash payment by mail to Germany or Austria, but I would never consider sending a cash payment to an American.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Um...:D...that wasn't stereotyping. The cops ask everyone that question.:p
The first time that cop pulled me over for, ready for this, going to slow, about a year and a half ago, it was warm, I was wearing my normal shorts and shirt, that is abit baggy, and when I was asked to get out of my car and into his, he never said that.

Aqualung

Tasty
Luke Wolf said:
Since I get alot of unwanted attention when I wear my trench coat out (It has gotten better with people seeing me at thier stores more often), I know how irritating stereotypes can be, and I aviod doing it. When I was pulled over the other day, I couldn't find my drivers liscense, so the cop told me to get into his car while he checked my registration, and when I steped out of my car, the first thing he said was "You got any guns or knives on you?"
That's what they ask everybody when they step out of the car. Now you're just victimising yourself.

Aqualung

Tasty
Luke Wolf said:
The first time that cop pulled me over for, ready for this, going to slow, about a year and a half ago, it was warm, I was wearing my normal shorts and shirt, that is abit baggy, and when I was asked to get out of my car and into his, he never said that.
Then that cop was an idiot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then that cop was an idiot.
Hes more of an a**hole than anything. That or maybe the first time he was so convienced he had a drugee that he forgot to ask in his dissapointment. I did discover, the monitor the onboard cameras are attached to have very great resolution.