• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you see God here?

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
I've seen "How Big is the Universe" type videos before, but nothing like this. It's really amazing! I'd encourage everyone to take 10 minutes and check it out.

When watching this video, I can help but to think about how small and insignificant we are. I wonder what that little blue dot, suspended in the sunbeam will be like in 1,000 years? Will people still think that some sort of all powerful creator cares about what food they eat here on this tiny speck of dust? Or who they have sex with? Will people still get convinced that their god is going to allow them to live forever in an invisible paradise that is outside of space and time, after they die? That our existence is part of some strange game where rewards and punishments are given out after dying? Seems unlikely to me.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many millions of things in this world alone, but we put the smallest cells underneath a microscope.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've seen "How Big is the Universe" type videos before, but nothing like this. It's really amazing! I'd encourage everyone to take 10 minutes and check it out.

When watching this video, I can help but to think about how small and insignificant we are. I wonder what that little blue dot, suspended in the sunbeam will be like in 1,000 years? Will people still think that some sort of all powerful creator cares about what food they eat here on this tiny speck of dust? Or who they have sex with? Will people still get convinced that their god is going to allow them to live forever in an invisible paradise that is outside of space and time, after they die? That our existence is part of some strange game where rewards and punishments are given out after dying? Seems unlikely to me.

Yes Humans are very tiny compared to the rest of the physical world, and we can not know how big the non physical world is :) But you ask in the OP do you see God, and the answer is Yes i see God or Allah if you like everywhere even in this physical world.

Moonjuice

Yes Humans are very tiny compared to the rest of the physical world, and we can not know how big the non physical world is :) But you ask in the OP do you see God, and the answer is Yes i see God or Allah if you like everywhere even in this physical world.
There is a reason why you can't know how big the "non-physical" world is, its the same reason why we can't measure the size of unicorn horns.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The universe is so impressive and intimidating I really don't need a God to explain things.

I figure the reality speaks for itself.

I think we are members of a continuum.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think this is one of my biggest reasons god does not exist in the objective sense. It's a human thing. All religions are.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I wonder if it's a oxymoron if you can see the awe and wonder of the universe but don't see god.

If we all look at the grand scale of the universe, what about it can one "see god" as a real entity that does exist when we are looking at the same thing despite our interpretations and experiences?

It gives the word god quite a different perspective that we decide there is a creator even though that word/being is relative to ourselves. We would have to know everything about the universe to even hint at an actual creator but so far we don't have instruments outside of our noggin' that suggests as such.

Unless god is the experience of awe and connection with the unexplained universe, what exactly IS god.... (the world may never know).

Moonjuice

I would think from your reply that you do not believe the non physical / spiritual world exist, and that is of course ok to have as a belief. Yes i do believe the spiritual world/heaven exist.
I was once convinced, but for really bad reasons. Now I'm not. I realized that I've never seen a single piece of credible evidence that anything supernatural exists. Until there is enough evidence to suggest otherwise, I have no choice but to hold the default position. I think the supernatural and concepts like heaven are invented purposely because they can never be observed. Since it can never be observed, people are free to make all sort of claims about where it is, what it is, and what you have to do to get there. It's100% faith.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wonder if it's a oxymoron if you can see the awe and wonder of the universe but don't see god.

If we all look at the grand scale of the universe, what about it can one "see god" as a real entity that does exist when we are looking at the same thing despite our interpretations and experiences?

It gives the word god a quite different perspective than a being outside that existed before we were created given the only way we know if we decide there was a creator it would have to be relative to ourselves. We would have to know everything about the universe to even hint at an actual creator but so far we don't have instruments outside of our noggin' that suggests as such.

Unless god is the experience of awe and connection with the unexplained universe, what exactly IS god.... (the world may never know).
Not sure anyone can tell you what God is to you :) people have different ways to understand God, that does not mean it is wrong the way you see God, it only means that your understanding of what God is, is different than what others understand God to be.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was once convinced, but for really bad reasons. Now I'm not. I realized that I've never seen a single piece of credible evidence that anything supernatural exists. Until there is enough evidence to suggest otherwise, I have no choice but to hold the default position. I think the supernatural and concepts like heaven are invented purposely because they can never be observed. Since it can never be observed, people are free to make all sort of claims about where it is, what it is, and what you have to do to get there. It's100% faith.
I can only speak from my own understanding of God and to me, i realized that to see God i had to look within my own being, and not look for a being outside of me. But to see God i have to empty my own being for any form of ego. And that is not easy

Moonjuice

Important discovery "realizing how tiny I am"

And also implies how "big" God must be

Note: God is my definition of God, in this context
For me, it implies how non-existent god must be. If it's missing from the observable universe - it's identical to everything that does not exist.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Meh, I'm not a fan of your question. You mean to show how insignificant religion is when compared to the grandeur of all that exists. The fact of the matter, though, is that god beliefs have shaped the course of mankind even to this day. That is hardly an insignificant thing, and while something being big is impressive, it doesn't dismiss the fact that other complex things can exist, too - and god concepts certainly qualify in that regard.

To me, theology is far more interesting that astronomy. When you conflate and compare the two, it's apples and oranges. Sorry, I'm not all that impressed.

RestlessSoul

For me, it implies how non-existent god must be. If it's missing from the observable universe - it's identical to everything that does not exist.

What if that which some of us call God is the observable Universe? As well as the infinite number of, to us, unobservable Universes? The Universe may simply be how divinity chooses to express itself. I keep coming back, recently, to these lines from Percy Shelley;

I am the eye with which the Universe
beholds itself and knows itself divine.

As for us humans, we may be a tiny fragment, a fleeting phenomenon, materialising on a tiny planet in a vast ocean of time and space; but I don't doubt that we are an integral part of a complex and precise plan.

And yes, that is 100% a declaration of faith. Faith, like life itself, is a gift; and where there is a gift, there has to be a giver, says I.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

What's amazing to me about this world is how there seems to be an endless amount of scales to it. You can look at the world from any of these scales and you'll have another image entirely. On what we would call the microscopic scale, we would see a world of bacteria and viruses and whatnot, and beyond that there are atoms and particles, then there are subatomic particles and photons, etc. You can go infinitely down and there will be an infinite number of ways to perceive it.

You can also go infinitely up from our perspective: we have the scale of our lives on an individual level, and beyond that we have the lives of our countries, then human civilization in its entirety, then the planet Earth in its entirety, etc. Go far enough out on the macroscopic scale and you'll find even our own entire solar system to be insignificant, as shown in this video.

On all of these scales there's an infinite number of "stories" for the lack of a better term, there's different ways of being, all that apparently have meaning, otherwise why would they be here? The fact that our earthly matters and human issues translate to atoms binding to each other and chemicals reacting to other chemicals, it seems to me that the entirety of existence is an amazing and miraculous chain of cause and effect that is leading up to some intended purpose. Whatever that may be, I doubt any human could ever know.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Could you explain exactly how he reveals his attributes and his will, how do you know a messenger from god and why cannot everyone see these things?
The Messenger of God reflects the attributes of God in His person because He has Godlike attributes.
The Messenger of God also reveals the attributes of God and the Will of God in His Writings.

I know He is a Messenger of God from looking at the evidence.

Everyone does not recognize the Messenger of God because we all look at evidence with different eyes.