• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Practice An Art?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you practice an art? If so, what is it? How long have you practiced it? What do you get out of practicing it? What art would you practice that you don't currently practice?

Please note: For the purposes of this thread, "art" is here defined in the broadest possible terms.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Although I do graphic design on occassions, I enjoy writing the most. :p Since I became interested in books about six years ago I've wanted to be a published author -- at the very least complete a story and get it out there. Luckily I haven't. Each week I reread my previous projects and just shudder at my horrible prose. I think it's true the more you read the better you can write.

I'd love to paint, but sadly my hands are too clumsy. :D

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Sunstone said:
Do you practice an art? If so, what is it? How long have you practiced it? What do you get out of practicing it?

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42879

I've only been doing this very recently. I like working with people and being artistic, so working on people artistically is a good combination for me. It takes a lot of patience and practice, but I love it!

I also write music.

I've been doing this for about a year and a half now. It's a great way for me to escape reality. I become so engrossed in it that I can sit there for hours. It's almost therapeutic for me.

What art would you practice that you don't currently practice?

I'd like to design and create fashion.

I also used to draw comic book styled art a few years ago. I think I got pretty decent at it too. Sometimes I wish I had never quit because I look at some of my art and can honestly say that I believe I was a better artist (for that particular style) than most people are at that age. But doing those tattoos is a good way for me to tap back into that while also doing something of a more current interest.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
When I have the time for it, I love making pottery. There's something so relaxing about it. I don't have a way of getting my stuff to a kiln, though, so I've kind of stopped as of late.

If I didn't do pottery, I'd probably write more.

jacquie4000

I play piano and sing alot, and write my own music. I have been playing since I was
five. I enjoy music very much, I would be lost without it.

You said art in the broadest terms...I also love to kickbox and I have been doing that for several years at my local gym.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Does sleeping count? lol I play both the piano and the guitar, sing, and I like to paint and whatnot, though I don't think I'm very good at it. I also write poetry, [short] stories, and fan fiction.

Random

Using the broadest definition, the following are arts I practice: Yoga, Symbology, Ju-Jitsu (martial-art) and I play the guitar.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Music. Music. Music. I play keyboards, early instruments like the recorder and strange things like the aptly named "racket."

I can't fathom people who can sit and listen to a song on the radio and NOT sing with it. In all honesty, I have to wonder if they're either emotionally damaged or well, kinda retarded (as many cultures would). :cover: I can't imagine doing much of anything without singing, actually.

In another life, I might've done more with dance, but my mother took me to a ballet class when I was very little, and once I figured out I'd have to wear pink, that was it for me. :biglaugh: (Well, at least I know where my daughter gets her fondness for performance arts.) I love tai chi, though, which is a form of dance in its own right, though not a spectator kind of thing.

I like to paint, but I don't get much chance of that. And the fine arts were never much my forte anyway.

In the past I've done a fair bit of work in stained glass windows. I'd like to have room to do that again sometime. Also, I really want to learn metalwork and welding. Maybe when the kids are done.

I think of the gardening work I do as a mix between science and art. Good garden designs concern themselves with the same elements any artist would: form, texture, color, etc.

Gardeners add another element fine artists don't need to consider: time.

A really good garden design looks good, and different, across the seasons. I start all my designs from what things will look like in winter. (Anyone can make things look good in June!)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Music-Guitar (6-String, 12 String, bass) , piano, keyboards, harmonica, clarinet, singer, composer, engineer.

Artist-watercolor, pen and ink, charcoal, acrylics, pastels, oils (but don't have the patience for them).

Miscellaneous: Cooking, writing, needlecraft, video and movie production, dancing, problem solving, humorist, movie and music afficiando.

M

Majikthise

I can repair or operate just about anything mechanical ,and I enjoy doing so.

M

Majikthise

jmoum said:
Well, I do two things that I guess can be viewed as "artistic." I used to write, a lot, but now I don't do it anywhere near as often anymore. At the same time, before I moved out of my parents house, I used to put together model kits. I pretty much worked exclusively on Zoids and SD Gundams and had quite the collection.

I really loved putting together those model kits and seeing my collection grow. Unfortunately though, no one see's them as an art form and think of model kits as nothing more than toys for grown ups, yet I love putting things together. So I think that when I finally get a real job and settle down, I'm going to try my hand at traditional wood working (i.e. no power tools). I think it would be both rewarding and relaxing. And if that fails, well, I can always grow a garden. :D

I also built models well into my 20s , but kids and time constraints have forced me to let my skills deteriorate. I still have a couple of hundred unbuilt models in the basement I have accumulated over the years. When the kids are older I'd like to try introducing them to modeling.
My model buddy Ken (Also in his 40s) has moved to building historical wooden ship models on commmission. He makes a little side money but it's mostly for fun.
I remember my first week of high school when one of the "cool" kids said to me, "you play with models?". No clue.:rolleyes:

CDRaider

yeah, I acutally have been trying to find a creative outlet for me for quite a while. Ask Jeff, I jump crafts like its my job. Seriously, i can't find anything that expresses me quite like I want. Sighs... its upsetting.

CDRaider

jmoum said:
Oh hey, you don't jump around nearly as often as you think. And for someone who picks things up on the fly, you learn really quick. I'm actually kind of jelous of your scrap booking skills. You make that kind of thing look so easy, and before I tried it, I actually thought it was. :p

Yeah well, i am a crafty/creative person in general, i just dont' have any skill in anything enough to make it a hobby, I'm a jack of all crafts.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
CDRaider said:
yeah, I acutally have been trying to find a creative outlet for me for quite a while. Ask Jeff, I jump crafts like its my job. Seriously, i can't find anything that expresses me quite like I want. Sighs... its upsetting.

Keep searching. I think it's key to have a form of self expression.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Do you practice an art? If so, what is it? How long have you practiced it? What do you get out of practicing it? What art would you practice that you don't currently practice?

Please note: For the purposes of this thread, "art" is here defined in the broadest possible terms.

I sing - but I have been told that I am a little "Loud".:rolleyes:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I dance, and I make a living out of it. I've been dancing for thirty years now. *sheesh*

Modern, jazz, tap, and the Cecchetti (Italian) form of ballet. I'd done pointe for a few years, but I just didn't want to go that route and suffer from bleeding feet all the time. I'll just go with the callouses and the skin splits on the bottoms of my feet from dancing barefoot. :)

I also sing and can play piano. I'd had some pretty intense vocal training as a teenager, and have since practiced on myself the same techniques. I have a pretty good range (around four octaves), and I can reach a pretty high tone without going into falsetto - last I tested I was at a high G.

That makes karaoke contests a breeze. Put in some Aretha Franklin and I've got people eating from my hands. I've been asked more than a few times why I haven't done American Idol. :sarcastic

I'm like Sharon, too, I just can't imagine not singing to something on the radio.

I do lots of crafts at home, and I consider homemaking to be an art form of one of the highest levels. Anyone who can create a home for their family (even if it's just oneself) is one heck of an artist. I absolutely LOVE to cook. Knitting and crocheting are crafts that I love to do, too, but mostly to make things as gifts for others. Those things usually turn out better than what I try to make for myself.

I love to garden, too, although I doubt I'm at the same caliber as Booko is. I've haven't even done it for ten years, but I've received some of the best advice from a local woman who's home has been featured in Home and Garden............

"Honey, just plant something!"

Gardening is definitely about time, and because of that, I think it also cultivates patience and the watchful and discerning eye. I loved that advice I got ten years ago, because she just gave me the confidence to get some seedlings and to just get my hands dirty with transplanting them with a watchful eye. Now, my favorite garden has been my herb garden. It's the coolest thing ever to walk by it, take a great big whiff of it, and to pick out fresh basil and oregano for my Italian dishes. :)

*Mystic begins to ponder the similarites between her and Booko*

Hmmmm........... :)

Peace,
Mystic