• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you perform pooja regularly? Tell us about your daily practice.

SeRe

Hello Friends,

Do you perform pooja regularly? If yes, what is the method of your worship? How long does it take you and which shlokas and mantras do you recite? Please share your practice :)

I'm just asking out of curiosity. I light the lamp twice a day in front of all my God's photos and idols, and chant some strotras / mantras for Lord Ganesh, Lord Dattatreya, Goddesses etc. On some days I offer naivedya.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not perform puja.

My daily practice is a nididhyasana meditation session (eyes closed) just after waking and showering followed by a few simple asanas. I spend the rest of the day in brahma-abhyasa (eyes open) as I carry out my daily activities.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Most mornings I light a lamp in from of Ganesh and say a simple prayer.

On Ekadashi, I typically do a simple puja, mostly in which I offer prayers, fruit, incense, and flowers, chant or do a short meditation.

There are other points in which I may do a puja, but they're not at any regular intervals. Sometimes they are related to a festival, other times because I feel like it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello Friends,

Do you perform pooja regularly? If yes, what is the method of your worship? How long does it take you and which shlokas and mantras do you recite? Please share your practice :)

I'm just asking out of curiosity. I light the lamp twice a day in front of all my God's photos and idols, and chant some strotras / mantras for Lord Ganesh, Lord Dattatreya, Goddesses etc. On some days I offer naivedya.

Yes, I do a daily puja. It averages less than 20 minutes. I did video it, and am iffy about posting it because for many people it is deeply personal and private. On the other hand there are plenty of personal pujas on YouTube for people to get ideas of what other people do. I don’t usually wear traditional dress, but I thought I would this day. Btw, I welcome any criticisms or critiques, corrections. I built this based on what I gleaned from other videos, writings, and believe it or not, watching the priests. So here we go.

In case you can’t hear me here’s a brief rundown:

Prayer to Sri Ganesha.
Prayer to the lamp.
Three sips for cleansing.
Gayatri Mantra.
Greet all deities generally.
Reverence Lord Shiva and Goddess.
Offer dhyana (think, meditate) Sri Krishna. Dhyanam dhyayāmi.
Invite Sri Krishna. Avahanam avahayāmi
Offer a seat, āsanam samarpayāmi.
Offer water to drink, acamaniyam samarpayāmi.
Offer sandlewood, Gandham dharayāmi.
Offer colored rice. Akśatam samarpayāmi.
Offer a flower. Pushpam samarpayāmi.
Offer incense. Dhupam aghrapayāmi.
Offer flame. Dipam darshayāmi.
Offer food. Naivedyam nivedayāmi. It’s usually yogurt, milk, nuts and fruit, cottage cheese, or a panchāmrita I make.
Offer fruit. Phalam samarpayāmi.
Offer aarati. Mahānirajanam samarpayāmi.
Offer flowers, mantrapushpam.
Offer apologies, ask forgiveness.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I do a daily puja. It averages less than 20 minutes. I did video it, and am iffy about posting it because for many people it is deeply personal and private. On the other hand there are plenty of personal pujas on YouTube for people to get ideas of what other people do. I don’t usually wear traditional dress, but I thought I would this day. Btw, I welcome any criticisms or critiques, corrections. I built this based on what I gleaned from other videos, writings, and believe it or not, watching the priests. So here we go.

Prayer to Sri Ganesha.
Prayer to the lamp.
Gayatri Mantra.
Offer food. Naivedyam nivedayāmi. It’s usually yogurt, milk, nuts and fruit, cottage cheese, or a panchāmrita I make.

What time of day do you typically do this? Or does it vary?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I don't right now, but I am getting ready to set up a little puja area for myself. Once I do that, I want to try for mornings and evenings.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do a full Siva Atmartha puja as suggested in my sampradaya, every day beginning at 7AM plus or minus 10 minutes. During Covid once a week it's been earlier, because I like to go shopping in an empty supermarket. When we travel I do the entire thing internally, just chanting the mantras, and visualising my home shrine. After coffee and a walk outside, I shower and get offering ready. Offerings are fruit, flowers, and fresh water. Flowers vary seasonally, but on occasion I'll make a garland.
Before beginning, I offer flowers at each of 3 Guru pictures and the entrance protector Bhairavar. Then I do the ear pulling and prostrate to Lord Pillaiyar. Then it's clean up and prepare from the previous day, cleaning the flowers, and moving the brass lingam into a tray, for abhishekam. While doing this I chant Ganesha asttottaram. I usually finish both at around the same time, and offer a flower to Ganesha with the last name.
Then it's the dedication, telling him the time of day, the type of puja. Once a week (Friday) I switch the focus to Ganesha. After the dedication, it's an opening welcoming aarti to Ganesha, Murugan, the Guru (tiruvadi) and Siva (lingam and Nataraja simultaneously), and a welcoming to the devas present. Then it's on to the abhishekham, of water and a small container of rosewater. A chant beseeches Mother Ganga and the rivers of the north.
After that it's dressing time in fresh clothes and flower decorating of the lingam. He also gets vibhuthi, chandanam, and kumkuma. Nataraja gets fresh clothes once a week. After that it's dhupa and deepa for Shiva and naivedyam for all 4. After naivedya its stuff with naivedaya but symbolically, using rice. Then it's Siva ashtottaram, offering flowers with each of the 108 names. In winter I'll break rose petals into 5 or 6 pieces, occasionally use rice.
After astottaram it's the final arati, and a couple more beseeching chants. I pass the arati to the 3 Gurus, and to devas, before taking it myself. Then once it's waved out, I do the conclusion chant telling them it's over before taking or passing the other prasadam items. Finally it's the apology chant., telling them you have no bhakti, are unworthy, and all that. You apologise for any mistakes you made.
So that starts my daily sadhana. It establishes a holy vibration before proceeding to japa, scriptures, reading, and penance.
I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't do it. I would have had to have been very ill.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

Prayer to Sri Ganesha.
Prayer to the lamp.
Gayatri Mantra.

The video is really helpful! I am a visual learner, and learn best through watching.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The video is really helpful! I am a visual learner, and learn best through watching.

Very cool! I’m glad it was useful. It’s by no means the only way. There’s really no right or wrong way. It’s morphed considerably over the years being added to or subtracted from, even still there are things I think I should do for a particular reason.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Prayer to Sri Ganesha.
Prayer to the lamp.
Gayatri Mantra.

I really appreciate you posting this!

My toddler did, too. He simply smiled, said "om" and watched for awhile.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A chant beseeches Mother Ganga and the rivers of the north.
Excellent post, Vinayaka. What is the Ganges chant that you do which eulogized the rivers of the North (India). Normally it is 'Nadi Stuti', which names rivers from many parts of India (and also Pakistan :)). Well some parts of Indus are still in India We hold an yearly 'Sindhu Festival' in Ladakh, and Ladakh now is an independent Union territory and not an appendage of Kaahmir.

Gangge Ca Yamune Caiva Godavari Sarasvati l
Narmade Sindhu Kaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru ll

O Holy Rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and also Godavari and Saraswati,
Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri; please be present in this water (and make it Holy).

Another:

Gangga Narmada punya teertham, Sindhu Saraswati Kaveri;
jeevana kaarana moola tatvam, nadi Raashtrasya amritam.

The land with the pure waters of Ganga, Narmada,
Sindhu, Saraswati and Kaveri
water is the basis and the source of all life.
Rivers are nectar for the nation. :)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Excellent post, Vinayaka. What is the Ganges chant that you do which eulogized the rivers of the North (India). Normally it is 'Nadi Stuti', which names rivers from many parts of India (and also Pakistan :)). Well some parts of Indus are still in India We hold an yearly 'Sindhu Festival' in Ladakh.

Gangge Ca Yamune Caiva Godaavari Sarasvati l
Narmade Sindhu Kaaveri Jalesmin Sannidhim Kuru ll

O Holy Rivers Ganga and Yamuna, and also Godavari and Saraswati,
Narmada, Sindhu and Kaveri; Please be Present in this Water (and make it Holy).

Another:

Gangga Narmada punya teertham, Sindhu Saraswati Kaveri;
jeevana kaarana moola tatvam, nadi Raashtrasya amritam.

The land with the pure waters of Ganga, Narmada,
Sindhu, Saraswati and Kaveri
water is the basis and the source of all life.
Rivers are nectar for the nation. :)
The first one here, but a slightly simpler version. I may change that now. I see the Kaaveri (Cauvery) is in yours.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How can we forget Mother Kaveri (incidentally that is my daughter's name in her family. Among Kashmiri brahmins, we have a tradition that a bride is given a new name, all in fun, sometimes it sticks, sometimes not, generally rhyming with the husbands name, my son-in-law's name is Kapil).

The Crimson Universe

Hello Friends,

Even though i respect and believe in the existence of all Gods and Goddesses of hinduism, i'm not much into idol worship or ritualistic religious activities like offering flowers and food to Gods.
Instead, I like taking part in religious discussions. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Even though i respect and believe in the existence of all Gods and Goddesses of hinduism, i'm not much into idol worship or ritualistic religious activities like offering flowers and food to Gods.
Instead, I like taking part in religious discussions.
That is my type of person, always ready.