• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like to gamble?

Jumi

I like to gamble only when the odds are in my favor. One reason why Pascal's wager loses meaning is the existence of multiple religions with varying levels of likelihood of being right.

I like to gamble only when the odds are in my favor. One reason why Pascal's wager loses meaning is the existence of multiple religions with varying levels of likelihood of being right.
Given the wager is a hedge, doesn't it only matter IF a particular religion is right as opposed to the likelihood of it being right?

The Holy Bottom Burp

Pascal's Wager is just theists being passive aggressive, hoping to 'persuade' new recruits to sign up to their religion with the subtle threat of eternal damnation. It is pretty despicable in terms of trying to frighten people who may be gullible and/or naïve, and as others of pointed out it is self defeating as there are multiple deities and multiple hells to choose from on the religious market. As a man once said, all religions cannot be right, but they can all be wrong.

Pascal's Wager is just theists being passive aggressive, hoping to 'persuade' new recruits to sign up to their religion with the subtle threat of eternal damnation. It is pretty despicable in terms of trying to frighten people who may be gullible and/or naïve, and as others of pointed out it is self defeating as there are multiple deities and multiple hells to choose from on the religious market. As a man once said, all religions cannot be right, but they can all be wrong.
I agree with the passive aggressive comment. I had it put to me when I was a kid. However, it does have a certain appeal to the pragmatic side of me. It might be despicable but "Why take the risk?" does have a certain logic. Although, there is a certain appeal to "laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints".

The Holy Bottom Burp

I agree with the passive aggressive comment. I had it put to me when I was a kid.

Of course when you were a kid, it is what I meant when I said it is aimed at frightening the naïve and gullible. Whoever put that to you as a child was doing something despicable, even if he/she genuinely though it might save you from the eternal flames of hell.
However, it does have a certain appeal to the pragmatic side of me. It might be despicable but "Why take the risk?" does have a certain logic. .

Really dude? I presume you are talking about the Christian god in this context? However, what flavour of Christian god do you mean? The Catholic Jesus? Many Protestants will tell you Catholics aren't true Christians, so they are going to fry anyway. Conversely, there are Catholics (probably few these days admittedly) who would claim the Catholic church is the one, true apostolic church, and salvation can be reached through no other source. Then there are the JWs who will tell you the Protestants and Catholics have both got it wrong, they may be fewer in number but Jesus said few would be saved right? I could go on listing other Christian groups who would claim to have a monopoly on salvation, but I think I've made my point. Spin that wheel and hope you get the right Jesus!;)[/QUOTE]