• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DO YOU KNOW GOD by NAME

groovyable

Before i started studying the Bible, with an elder. I never could understand that God really had a name, yet it really does make sense now, no disrespect to Christiandom yet i do wonder what they think of the LORDS Prayer because the prayer refers to Gods name Jehovah. Plus Exodust 6:3 is always good to read.

nutshell

May I ask a question please?

I was just wondering, according to Jehovah Witness belief, who is Elohim? Is that name recognized?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
groovyable said:
Before i started studying the Bible, with an elder. I never could understand that God really had a name, yet it really does make sense now, no disrespect to Christiandom yet i do wonder what they think of the LORDS Prayer because the prayer refers to Gods name Jehovah. Plus Exodust 6:3 is always good to read.

Please could you explain this? You see, I've read and heard the prayer said frequently (still do hear it relatively often) in its original language (which is Koine Greek - that's what the Gospels were written in) and there's no mention of Jehovah or any other version of the Tetragrammaton (and forgive me for asking, but how do you know what vowels should be used? and why do you use the Germanic spelling with a 'J'? two small questions that have never made sense to me) in it. Where exactly, then is the reference to God's name?

James

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What is the difference if you call the Creator:

God, Jehovah, Elohim, Most High, Father, Hashem, Adonai, Shaddai, El Shaddai?

Is it a sin or otherwise demeaning if a JW calls God by another name besides Jehovah?

groovyable

Hello James and others who questioned me, I'l try to explain the best i can for you, because ive only been involved with Jehovah Witnesses for 2 years. Righty,

God does have a name, some translations only use ' Eternal' ,'LORD' or 'GOD' in replace of 'Jehovah' Yet Lord and God are mere titles just like mum, dad, brother and teacher etc..The name 'Jehovah' means 'One who courses to become' in the origional language, which the Bible, was written by Greek and Herbrew Gods name shows up as 'YHWH' and nearly 7,000 times.' YHWH' which in English is commandly pernoused as 'Jehovah' If you read the artical above which May, linked to this page, it might make more sense.

Yet how important is Gods name ? consider reading Matthew 6;9 plus Jesus gloryfied Gods name John 12;28

Plus if you have a King James version of the Bible look up Exodust 6.3 and Psalms 83;18 it uses Gods name. There are many other references in the Bible yet i can not think of them off the top of my head, sorry.

Yet is Jehovah the correct way to pronounce it ? Jesus' name may have been pronounced Yeshua or Yehoshua, no one can be certain. Yet no one seems to be botherd because they do not no the first century pronunciation. Plus if you travel to a forieigh land you might notice people would say your name slighty different. I remember when i went to Greece and i met some nice people yet they couldnt really pronounce my name.

Jehovah instructed his worshippers to call upon his name Joel 2;32 and Acts 2;21

groovyable

If you love God then you would call him by his true name, Jehovah, yet it is not wrong to call him by a title such as God, Lord, Eternal, Father, Heavenly Father and Adononi.

The Lords prayer, says 'hallowed be thy name' which refers to God and that God has a name. Which is Jehovah :)

RevOxley_501

im suprised no one has brought up the term: Tetragrammaton

some say this is the unspeakable name of G-d and that its true spelling contains 26 syllables

certain gnostic groups consider this their light..

may

nutshell said:
May I ask a question please?

I was just wondering, according to Jehovah Witness belief, who is Elohim? Is that name recognized?

In Bible times the word for God (’Elo·him´, Hebrew) was used to describe any god—even the pagan Philistine god named Dagon. (Judges 16:23, 24) So for a Hebrew to tell a Philistine that he, the Hebrew, worshiped "God" would not have identified the true God whom he worshiped.

A

angellous_evangellous

Interesting that God has a German name.

Who woulda thunk it?

Booko

Deviled Hen
********* MOD POST *********

Just a friendly reminder, folks, that this is a "discuss" forum for Jehovah's Witnesses. Don't anyone get too nervous or anything, I just wanted y'all to review this lest anyone actually cross over the line. :)

8.) Each Individual Religion forum is for that religion's education and fellowship for people who abide by that religion and for discussion within that religion.

9.) We will not tolerate any debate about a religion in its Individual Religion forum, NO OUTSIDE DEBATE OR VIEW POINTS ARE ALLOWED. This rule is strictly enforced. If you wish to debate a certain religion the proper place for that is in the Debates sections.

10.) Asking respectful questions of other religions is acceptable in their Individual Religion forum.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
RevOxley_501 said:
im suprised no one has brought up the term: Tetragrammaton

some say this is the unspeakable name of G-d and that its true spelling contains 26 syllables

certain gnostic groups consider this their light..

Actually, I did in my question above.

James

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
groovyable said:
God does have a name, some translations only use ' Eternal' ,'LORD' or 'GOD' in replace of 'Jehovah' Yet Lord and God are mere titles just like mum, dad, brother and teacher etc..The name 'Jehovah' means 'One who courses to become' in the origional language, which the Bible, was written by Greek and Herbrew Gods name shows up as 'YHWH' and nearly 7,000 times.' YHWH' which in English is commandly pernoused as 'Jehovah' If you read the artical above which May, linked to this page, it might make more sense.
I was actually asking why use Jehovah (which is actually the German spelling, not English) rather that Yahweh (which would be an English rendering) and why use either instead of YHWH, seeing as you have no idea what the vowels were? I actually don't understand what the fuss is about at all, we know He has a name but we don't call Him by it, which you say is fine. In all likelihood you don't call Him by it either as you don't know how it sounds, and the vowels in Jehovah, by the way, were inserted by reference to the word Adonai. Absolutely nobody knows what the vowels used actually were

Yet how important is Gods name ? consider reading Matthew 6;9 plus Jesus gloryfied Gods name John 12;28
Yes, but He did so without actually speaking the name (it's possible to glorify the name of God without even speaking it, clearly) as is obvious from the Lords Prayer, where we are told to address God as Father, not YHWH. Why, then, is the name so much more important to you han it was to Christ? I've always been interested to find out the justification behind the various Yahwist movements.

Yet is Jehovah the correct way to pronounce it ? Jesus' name may have been pronounced Yeshua or Yehoshua, no one can be certain. Yet no one seems to be botherd because they do not no the first century pronunciation.
You're right that most Christians aren't bothered, but then we don't have this obsession with the name. You might not know, but there are Yahwist groups who are bothered about the rendering of Jesus and are bothered about mispronunciation of YHWH. The thing is, while i disagree with them, at least their position seems consistent. I honestly can't get a handle on what your view with regards to the Tetragrammaton actually is, which is why I'm asking here.

Plus if you travel to a forieigh land you might notice people would say your name slighty different. I remember when i went to Greece and i met some nice people yet they couldnt really pronounce my name.
I used to worship in a Greek church where some of them didn't even try to pronounce my name, they just called me by the Greek equivalent. That's fine, but it doesn't leave me any the wiser as to the point you're making. Are you saying that God has a name and using it is important, or not? You seem to be offering up two opposing positions at the same time.

James

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
may said:

That link explains why you might want to restore the Teragrammaton (though I would dispute certain of the claims) but it does not explain how you go from that to Jehovah, which is the crux of my question. In fact, the approval for LXX fragments that contained the Tetragrammaton, whilst offered as a defence of your position, seem to do the opposite. I'd note that they say that the Tetragrammaton is rendered in these Greek manuscripts in Hebrew letters, this is not even the equivalent to writing YHWH in a modern English translation, let alone Jehovah, so why is it that you apparently feel that the latter is the name of God. Do you have some Scriptural evidence that this rendering is correct, or is it an extra-Biblical tradition of the Watchtower society?

James

may

God's Name in Your Name?

Many Bible names are still popular today. In some cases the original Hebrew meaning of these names actually included the personal name of God. Here are a few examples of such names and their meaning. Perhaps your name is one of them.
  • Joanna—"Jehovah Has Been Gracious"
  • Joel—"Jehovah Is God"
  • John—"Jehovah Has Shown Favor"
  • Jonathan—"Jehovah Has Given"
  • Joseph—"May Jah Add"
  • Joshua—"Jehovah Is Salvation"
"Jah" is an abbreviated form of "Jehovah."

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
may said:
God's Name in Your Name?

Many Bible names are still popular today. In some cases the original Hebrew meaning of these names actually included the personal name of God. Here are a few examples of such names and their meaning. Perhaps your name is one of them.
  • Joanna—"Jehovah Has Been Gracious"
  • Joel—"Jehovah Is God"
  • John—"Jehovah Has Shown Favor"
  • Jonathan—"Jehovah Has Given"
  • Joseph—"May Jah Add"
  • Joshua—"Jehovah Is Salvation"
"Jah" is an abbreviated form of "Jehovah."

So is the rendering of the Tetragrammaton as Jehovah an extra-Scriptural tradition of the Watchtower society or not?

James