• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DO YOU KNOW GOD by NAME

may

JamesThePersian said:
So is the rendering of the Tetragrammaton as Jehovah an extra-Scriptural tradition of the Watchtower society or not?

James
no,we dont add things to the bible.

shema

groovyable said:
Before i started studying the Bible, with an elder. I never could understand that God really had a name, yet it really does make sense now, no disrespect to Christiandom yet i do wonder what they think of the LORDS Prayer because the prayer refers to Gods name Jehovah. Plus Exodust 6:3 is always good to read.

Yahweh (YHWH) (I Am)
Jehovah (Yir'eh- my provider), (Nissi-My banner), (ori Viyish'i-My light and my salvation), (El rachum-merciful and gracious), (Tsidkenu-our righteousness), (Shalom-peace), (Shammah-The lord is there), and (Raffa-healer)

Elohim (God)
God
Lord
Father
Creator
Most High
Adonai (Lord)
Yahweh Sabbaoth (Lord Almighty)
Almighty God
El Shaddai (God Almighty)
Ancient of Days
Alpha & Omega
Everlasting Father
El Olam (Eternal God)
El Elyon (God Most High)

may

God’s name literally means "He Causes to Become."
Jehovah God thereby identifies himself as the Fulfiller of his purposes. When Moses asked God his name, Jehovah elaborated on its meaning in this way: "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be." (Exodus 3:14) Rotherham’s translation pointedly states: "I Will Become whatsoever I please." Jehovah proves to be, or chooses to become, whatever is needed to make his righteous purposes and promises a reality. Thus, he bears an impressive array of titles, such as Creator, Father, Sovereign Lord, Shepherd, Jehovah of armies, Hearer of prayer, Judge, Grand Instructor, Repurchaser.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
may said:
no,we dont add things to the bible.

Then where does it come from? There aren't, as I'm sure you're aware, any vowels in the Tetragrammaton in Scripture, so how do you get from YHWH to Jehovah?

James

may

the question of accurate pronunciation arises because early Hebrew writing consisted of consonants with no vowels to guide the reader. So whether the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton becomes Yahweh or Jehovah depends on which vowels the reader supplies to the four consonants. Today many Hebrew scholars prefer Yahweh as the true pronunciation.​
However, consistency favors Jehovah. In what way? The pronunciation Jehovah has been accepted in English for centuries. Those who object to using this pronunciation should also object to the use of the accepted pronunciation Jeremiah and even Jesus. Jeremiah would need to be changed to Yir·meyah´ or Yir·meya´hu, the original Hebrew pronunciations, and Jesus would become Ye·shu´a‛ (Hebrew) or I·e·sous´ (Greek). Hence, many Bible students, including Jehovah’s Witnesses, feel that consistency favors the use of the already well-known English-language "Jehovah" and its equivalent in other languages.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
may said:
the question of accurate pronunciation arises because early Hebrew writing consisted of consonants with no vowels to guide the reader. So whether the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton becomes Yahweh or Jehovah depends on which vowels the reader supplies to the four consonants. Today many Hebrew scholars prefer Yahweh as the true pronunciation.​

However, consistency favors Jehovah. In what way? The pronunciation Jehovah has been accepted in English for centuries. Those who object to using this pronunciation should also object to the use of the accepted pronunciation Jeremiah and even Jesus. Jeremiah would need to be changed to Yir·meyah´ or Yir·meya´hu, the original Hebrew pronunciations, and Jesus would become Ye·shu´a‛ (Hebrew) or I·e·sous´ (Greek). Hence, many Bible students, including Jehovah’s Witnesses, feel that consistency favors the use of the already well-known English-language "Jehovah" and its equivalent in other languages.

Then it's an extra-Scriptural tradition. Glad I finally got an answer at any rate.

James

may

JamesThePersian said:
Then it's an extra-Scriptural tradition. Glad I finally got an answer at any rate.

James
I would not say it was extra , i would say it was English

cardero

Citizen Mod
DO YOU KNOW GOD by NAME?

"YOU couldn't say MY name; YOU would only hurt YOURself."
HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Preferences
Pg: 49

may

cardero said:
DO YOU KNOW GOD by NAME?

"YOU couldn't say MY name; YOU would only hurt YOURself."
HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Preferences
Pg: 49
psalm 83;18

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,​

You alone are the Most High over all the earth.
(Isaiah 42:8) "I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.
(Isaiah 12:4) And in that day YOU will certainly say: "Give thanks to Jehovah, YOU people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high.
from The bible