1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you call yourself a 'Panentheist'?

Discussion in 'Pantheism-Panentheism DIR' started by Tyho, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Nefelie

Nefelie Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    He is not entirely wrong. Like I said before, for a Greek Orthodox Christian “god is everywhere and within everything”. That's pretty much Pantheistic. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kapyong

Kapyong Disgusted

Ratings:
    +73
    Gday all,

Well yes, I call myself a panentheist :)

God is everywhere and in everything,
    but is yet much more than that.

Sometimes I call myself a Spinozan Panentheist.

Spinoza rejects pantheism in a letter to Henry Oldenburg : "as to the view of certain people that I identify god with nature (taken as a kind of mass or corporeal matter), they are quite mistaken".

But describes something rather panentheistic - the underlying substance of all (called 'God or Nature') is expressed through the modes of Thought and Existence. (Mind you, he can be rather confusing :( )

Which captures the idea that All is part of the Mind of God.

Kapyong

• Like Like x 2
  3. idav

idav Being
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,276
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    Thats a real interesting take. I tend to think awareness is a little more involved within nature itself, which would be "mind". I really like the spinozan take and I've heard it argued he was more panentheistic.

4. SuperSaiyanBlue616

SuperSaiyanBlue616 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Panentheist here. Man, I wish there were more panentheists out there, especially some sort of congregation for panentheists and other "freethinkers" to assemble, but unfortunately, that's just not the world I live in! As an alternative, I simply go to a church, and while I don't believe it is the "one true religion", I still agree with many of its moral teachings and church gives me a sense of fellowship and incites my own spiritual development. During prayer, I simply meditate since I don't believe God somehow answers prayers. However, religion is declining, and Western culture is becoming increasingly secular, so I think eventually, this greater number of non-religious people will begin to seek rational alternatives to religion and freethinking congregations will spring up. Hopefully!

5. Breathe

Breathe Hostis humani generis

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Religion:
    Syncretic, Personal Panentheism
    I do call myself a panentheist if it comes up, yeah. I explain it in a little bit more detail if necessary.

6. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Active Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Religion:
    Follower (and Writer) of the Mune Shinri
    I call myself a Christian in polite society, but I'm more a Panentheist. I'm influenced by Christian writings (references to the Body of Christ), but to me the idea of a Savior is less important than understand that the divine being all around us, already acts as Savior. To me, much of the specific dogma of Christianity is secondary to my understanding of how the divine is part of all things and therefore self-evident.

7. Liu

Liu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +404
    Religion:
    Pandiabololatry
    No. Two reasons:

- The definition doesn't really make sense to me.
    Pantheism: deity = all
    Panentheism: deity = all + x
    But what is x if not part of all as well?

- Most versions of panentheism see to refer to a personal deity.

As to how I call my religion when talking to other people in real life, I normally just say I'm an agnostic, depending on the situation also that I'm a pantheist.

8. dmap

dmap God is good and beautiful

Ratings:
    +401
    Religion:
    deist monotheist agnostic panentheist
    When speaking to Christians I call myself a Catholic (I am a member after all, and it annoys the fundamentalist evangelical Protestants). When speaking to others I just say I believe in God. They usually don't want to discuss philosophy anyway; no sense disturbing them.

9. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,343
    Religion:
    Hinduism, Vaishnava
    I consider myself a pantheist and panentheist at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive, as found in the Bhagavad Gita, especially chapters 9 and 10.

10. steveb1

steveb1 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Religion:
    Jodo Shinshu Buddhism
    Coming in here 'way late, but for what it's worth -

From a Western/philosophical point of view I define myself as a panentheist.

I believe that God is real, and is both "here" (immanent) and "more than here" (transcendent).

Panentheism does not require that I believe that God, in order to exist or in order to be God, must be a creator or an intervener. The world moves according to its own rules, without having been created or tampered with by God.

This relieves my God-definition from the theodicy hook. A theodicy is a model which attempts to explain evil and the persistence of evil in a world supposedly created by an all-powerful deity. Since my definition eschews the view of God as an all-powerful creator, God cannot be praised or blamed for the existence and/or the condition of a world that God never created to begin with.

If only the current God debate could move beyond its insistence that God must be a creator and/or an intervener, panentheism is there to take up the slack.