• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe there are lies in the Bible or Do you believe that the Whole Bible lies?

danieldemol

Premium Member
As a work of history and science the Bible is no more and no less reliable than any other text of the same age.

Like all written works purporting to normalize human behavior and thought, the Bible is an exceedingly dangerous book, and should not be followed or even read except under counsel from someone whose wisdom and kindness, and forbearance, is beyond question.

That is ridiculous, you are just demonising a book in accordance with your personal biases then insisting that no one else should be permitted to read it to investigate the truth of your sayings.

vtunie

That is ridiculous, you are just demonising a book in accordance with your personal biases then insisting that no one else should be permitted to read it to investigate the truth of your sayings.

No. I am not doing anything of the sort. Let go your anger, your invocation of demons is quite uncalled for.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Quite to the contrary, millions of people read the Bible without any safety incident occurring, your invocation of danger is quite uncalled for.

Perhaps you have some anger issues to deal with?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Can I please have the references to these multiple studies and confirmations by modern science? I'm looking for something more substantial than a wiki article.

Thanks

I'll attempt to offer more that wiki plugs and blogs with valid links, just need a few, ok?

You could do the work yourself ya know. But I'll effort to at least get you on a path...

quizas

I believe there are many lies in bibles done by disbelievers
Who killed Jesus

Some Verse say not to drink wine
Others say drink some wine for stomach

There is obvious contrast

We can't ignore such contrast

The one says wine god for stomach

As we know and scientist proved that wine bad for stomach
It rises acidity in stomach and if acidity risen it does result ulcer

So this verse was added by people
As we know god orders are for human benefit

Many bible was found but the truth said
That the bible called barnaba is the real bible
It same current bible with different in some
Lines only

It also mentioned that prophet Mohammad
Will come and all of you must believe In him

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is a massive difference between a lie and something that is not true.

I do not think any of the authors lied in the Bible. But much of it is not true in a factual sense, nor is is it intend to be understood that way.

As Levite said...
How about neither?

I can only speak to the Hebrew Bible, but how about the Bible is a book which contains various truths contained in both historical and mythologized narratives, parables, poetry, and other texts that show the grappling of the Jewish People with their existence and their theology, and their understandings of what God was and wanted from them, as all evolved over the course of a thousand years.

Much of the Christian New Testament falls into the same class of understandings. Though it contains much more opinion in the form of letters to congregations.

KidatHeart

:spit: :biglaugh:

I bet you also believe the moon landings were a hoax and that freemasons are taking over the world in conjunction with the aliens.

Not necessarily. It's that I don't put it past people to do such a thing as manipulate religious writings.

Revelation 22:18-20

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
[19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. [20] He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly.

There's a lot of power at stake when it comes to religious beliefs. Power that people want to control (even by way of the occult). It wouldn't have taken much to try to deceive the masses, just the will to do it, a certain measure of cooperation, and a dose of secrecy.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I believe the Bible is an accurate portrayal of history but I think it's also a portrayal of mankind and it documents what all sorts of different people thought and said accurately for example take these verses which seem to be teaching 3 different arguments if you take them on face value without further research, however only 1 is correct and the others are lies. The Bible like any other book requires intent study to understand and taking passages out of context will only bring confusion to everyone.

My question is do you believe that the Bible has lies in it or is it a book of lies? Is it an accurate portrayal of history or is it a complete fable? Maby just maby the Bible is a reflection of mankind on God and shouldn't be taken out of context as that can lead to doctrines of devils as some people are expert spin masters. The question that remains if some of it is lies how do we separate the truth from the lies? Do we just take the easy path and ignore it? Or would it be worthwhile to intently study it and figure out for ourselves what is truth? Jesus said what is truth? Do you say I am? What did Jesus mean by that?

Job36:5-6
5 Behold, God is mighty, and despiseth not any: he is mighty in strength and wisdom.6 He preserveth not the life of the wicked: but giveth right to the poor.

Matthew 5:45
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Ecclesiates 7:15
15 All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness.
Do you believe there is petty rubbish in the OP or that the whole OP is petty rubbish?

KidatHeart

There is a massive difference between a lie and something that is not true.

I do not think any of the authors lied in the Bible. But much of it is not true in a factual sense, nor is is it intend to be understood that way.

As Levite said...

Much of the Christian New Testament falls into the same class of understandings. Though it contains much more opinion in the form of letters to congregations.

It is presented as the Word of God. That's why I think it's dangerous, in a way.

2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness"

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is presented as the Word of God. That's why I think it's dangerous, in a way.

2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness"

Timothy was not talking about the Bible.
It did not yet exist.
He was talking about all "Scripture" as a class.

There is very little in the Bible that that can not be used for teaching about religious concepts. When Jesus taught through parables, those stories were used as examples of situations, they were not factual. They taught through the concepts they expressed.

The Danger in the Bible is to believe it contains actual instructions from God.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It did not yet exist.

There is very little in the Bible that that can not be used for teaching about religious concepts. When Jesus taught through parables, those stories were used as examples of situations, they were not factual. They taught through the concepts they expressed.

Great post.

vtunie

The Bible is really two, isn't it?

The so-called old testament, foundation of the abrahamic religions, islam and judaism, with all their glorification of this world, and their singularly worldly message: project power and eliminate, kill, all infidels, for they are as unclean as they are not worthy of concern or ultimate survival.

And the new testament, a tragic and convoluted collection, overriding the liberating message of Jesus and Paul -- to seek the divine within the person and above this unholy world -- with the usual abrahamic twaddle, that's given us a couple thousand more years of orthodox christian power worship.

The old testament can be dispensed with. There is nothing there but vengeance and hopeless, slavish, adherence to a higher power that is evil.

As for the new testament, whatever things in it are honest, just, pure, lovely -- and true -- yes, indeed, they are not lies -- but to unravel them requires wise counsel and forbearance.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It did not yet exist.

Good post. Frubals!

Levite

Higher and Higher
...The so-called old testament, foundation of the abrahamic religions, islam and judaism, with all their glorification of this world, and their singularly worldly message: project power and eliminate, kill, all infidels, for they are as unclean as they are not worthy of concern or ultimate survival.
The old testament can be dispensed with. There is nothing there but vengeance and hopeless, slavish, adherence to a higher power that is evil.

That is one of the most simplistic, ignorant summaries of the Hebrew Scriptures I've seen in some time.

You might wish to actually read something about the Hebrew Bible before deciding that you know what is in it and what it means. Especially considering that most likely, if you read it, you didn't read it in the original, and you didn't read any of the commentaries springing from the tradition belonging to the people who authored those texts.

vtunie

That is one of the most simplistic, ignorant summaries of the Hebrew Scriptures I've seen in some time.

You might wish to actually read something about the Hebrew Bible before deciding that you know what is in it and what it means. Especially considering that most likely, if you read it, you didn't read it in the original, and you didn't read any of the commentaries springing from the tradition belonging to the people who authored those texts.

I trust the various translations are reasonably close enough.

The Amorites, Midian, and Amalekites among others were basically exterminated under orders from a deity that freely admits to being vengeful and jealous. Now if that deity chose some tribe, or more likely that tribe chose that deity, so be it. But what exactly does a jealous all-powerful creating deity have to be jealous of? Whatever that may be, it is nothing I want any part of.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I trust the various translations are reasonably close enough.

The Amorites, Midian, and Amalekites among others were basically exterminated under orders from a deity that freely admits to being vengeful and jealous. Now if that deity chose some tribe, or more likely that tribe chose that deity, so be it. But what exactly does a jealous all-powerful creating deity have to be jealous of? Whatever that may be, it is nothing I want any part of.

It seems like your primary error is in presuming that translations are close enough. But secondarily, you seem to be under the impression that the text is flat, un-nuanced, and the meaning is to be found at the most simplistic, surface reading of the text in the most literal possible fashion.

Furthermore, by reading the Written Torah in isolation from the Oral Torah and the traditions of interpretation that are part of it and spring from it, you are getting, at best, half the story, and often much less.

The Tanach is complex, nuanced, and is poetry written in a language deeply given to multiple meanings, over the course of around a thousand years. There are many conceptions of God found in it, some deeply at odds with one another, as Biblical theology-- which is itself merely the foundation of later theology, not an end in and of itself-- evolved and grew.

So God is petty and jealous, because you dislike what you think you know of the wars of conquest in the Torah and Joshua? What about the God of 1 Kings 18 and 19? What about the God of Isaiah, of Amos, of Hosea? What about the numerous different depictions of God in Psalms? In Ecclesiastes, in Job? For that matter, what about Song of Songs? Even without looking at the Oral Torah and getting a better picture of what was going on in the Written Torah, just looking through the rest of the Tanach is enough to deflate the ridiculous conception that there is one depiction or understanding of God in the Hebrew Scriptures, let alone what that one conception of God might be.

It would be deeply helpful to you to know what you're talking about before you trash someone else's scriptures.

Last edited: