• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe In God, Why? Don't You Believe In God, Why?

Skywalker

But he was God, so any suffering was meaningless. It was simply a case of masochism.

If Jesus died for our sins without suffering what he did would have meaningless, because there had to be a price paid for Jesus dying on the cross to be a real self sacrifice. Jesus did pay a real price for our sins. It wasn't a symbolic act like the swoon theory.

Skywalker

And the theatrics of condemning himself to unnecessary suffering isn't an insult to justice?

And, yes, judges do this all the time. they may think the law is unjust. They may think the criminal has repented and served his time. He may have just had a good lunch.

A judge taking the place of his son is not theatrics or an insult to justice.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus didn't brag about dying for our sins. A judge cannot just change a law about jail sentences because the law is the law.

But God could.

Jesus was sweating tears of blood before he went to the cross.

OK, so he had a bad day. He also knew it was going to be over quickly. He knew after a few days, at most, he would be back to his glorious self with no harm done. And he *could* have just negated the law (his own law, after all). But instead he went for theatrics.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
A judge taking the place of his son is not theatrics or an insult to justice.

Actually, under the situation a deity being the judge, it is certainly theatrics. And either way it *is* an insult to justice: blame cannot be transferred in that way.

Skywalker

God sits on His heavenly throne and there He will stay.
God is not a man, according to the Bible.

Hosea 11:9 I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Moreover, Jesus said that no man has ever seen God:

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

If no man has ever seen God that means that Jesus could never have been God, since many people saw Jesus.

The second person of the Trinity stepped down from his glory.

Male and female reflect different aspects of the image of God but God is not a man. That doesn't mean that God could not become a man if he wanted to.

Jesus meant that no man can see the Father. Moses spoke with Jesus, the angel of the Lord, not God the Father.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If Jesus died for our sins without suffering what he did would have meaningless, because there had to be a price paid for Jesus dying on the cross to be a real self sacrifice. Jesus did pay a real price for our sins. It wasn't a symbolic act like the swoon theory.

Why was the suffering required in the first place? So that God could forgive everyone? Why not just do so?