• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you agree with the "War On Drugs"?

Choose the most accurate answer.

• As a general rule I lean in the direction of being in favor of the "war on drugs"

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • As a general rule I am not leaning in favor of the "war on drugs"

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is it possible that there might still be an illegal market though, and where such was cheaper than the controlled variety, and hence perhaps appealing to more (the young being a likely target), such that problems still arose. Plus the fact that perhaps more resources would need to be in place so as to monitor both - the legal and the illegal.
Of course there could be an illegal market BUT if the government controlled drugs are sold at cost would it be worth the criminal world being involved?
I'm not sure of the mark up on drugs but it is bound to be massive, so allowing for the drugs being mixed with cheap alternatives, I would envisage that 'legal' drugs could be supplied at a tenth of the current rates.

PureX

Veteran Member
How do you not know what it is? It started with Nixon, and was ramped up to what it is today by Reagan.
Ultimately it has done considerably more damage to people than the drugs have, it's a massive tax burden, it gives America an embarrassingly high incarceration rate (jails and prisons are flooded with people guilty of possession), and it criminalizes illness (something that can never be good or just). It also creates many burdens and obstacles in seeking treatment, both with the illegal nature scaring people away and creating extremely difficult barriers to clear to study the substances in any manner. This has set back addiction treatment and cleared the way for failed and often dangerous faith-based rehab programs.
People like to blame and hate on the "bad guys" in this country. We think we're living in the movies, I guess. So we vote for politicians that pander to this deluded fantasy of social vengeance. But that's not really a "war on drugs", that's just political and social idiocy. I don't know what a real "war on drugs" would look like.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
People like to blame and hate on the "bad guys" in this country. We think we're living in the movies, I guess. So we vote for politicians that pander to this deluded fantasy of social vengeance. But that's not really a "war on drugs", that's just political and social idiocy. I don't know what a real "war on drugs" would look like.
You may want to read this for a crash course thingy.
War on drugs - Wikipedia