• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we have free-will?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I really have a hard time with the concept of predestination. For it suggests that no matter what I do my life is already mapped out, there is no free will or independence, no matter what I do it's already pre-arranged. It all seems pretty dismal to me.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Have you ever seen one of those 'magic eye' posters? They're drawn by computer, each bit carefully mapped out, but it takes an observer to see the hidden image by adjusting the way he looks at it. It takes an observer to bring it to life.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Haha, my take on this is all but simple. I think (experience) there's an "I" that is observing and having opinions on what I do and what I'm supposed to be doing. Then there are other "lesses I's" who think differently and want sometimes even completely opposing things. So if I decide for instance that I'm not going to eat that chocolate bar on the table, but soon find myself munching on it anyway, it's actually the "lesser I" who got her will through. It's still me having free will, but it's not necessarely the me I was aware of at the moment :D

On the other hand free will doesn't really seem to matter much in daily life. Things come and go and I have no or very little control of most events affecting me anyway. Sure, I can decide (more or less) how to react to those situations, but it doesn't really stop them from happening in the first place.