• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We have a Moral Obligation to Listen?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
PLEASE NOTE: This is a discussion thread, not a debate thread. State your views. Provide your reasons for them. Ask respectful questions of other posters. Discuss your views with them. Even compare and contrast your views with other positions purely for the sake of clarification. BUT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PROVE OTHER POSITIONS FALSE OR WRONG! Moreover, please report to the Mods any posts that engage in debate, or attempt to.

What, if anything, would morally obligate us to listen to someone?

Do any religions lay upon their adherents a moral obligation to, in any circumstances, listen to others?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What morally obligates us to listen to people in general, is that it's antisocial and tends to lead to antisocial tendencies not to.

But I think that no one has a moral obligation to keep their ears open to everyone they meet, realizing some people are incompatible.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If humanity comes to a place in their life and mentality to state....made lots of mistakes in the past. Were really cruel in the past and those mistakes are costing us today….then you would have to own a brother/sister representative, from every country and have a really big talk and assess the human condition.

To try to work out a mutually equal living condition that is suitable for human existence to be allowed to continue to exist on Earth in what is stated to be the highest spiritual condition.

NATURAL.

danieldemol

Premium Member
PLEASE NOTE: This is a discussion thread, not a debate thread. State your views. Provide your reasons for them. Ask respectful questions of other posters. Discuss your views with them. Even compare and contrast your views with other positions purely for the sake of clarification. BUT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PROVE OTHER POSITIONS FALSE OR WRONG! Moreover, please report to the Mods any posts that engage in debate, or attempt to.

Do any religions lay upon their adherents a moral obligation to, in any circumstances, listen to others?

I think we have an obligation for the sake of our own self development to listen up to a point, but not to people who want to just drone on and on for example.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think we have an obligation for the sake of our own self development to listen up to a point, but not to people who want to just drone on and on for example.

Do you feel you have an obligation to listen to people -- or groups of people -- who are trying to make the case they have been treated unfairly, etc.? Such as...

Blacks

Evangelical Christians

Native Americans

Certain celebrities.

Prisoners.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Do you feel you have an obligation to listen to people -- or groups of people -- who are trying to make the case they have been treated unfairly, etc.? Such as...

Blacks

Evangelical Christians

Native Americans

Certain celebrities.

Prisoners.

I I think we should try to understand where these people are coming from with a sense of fairness in mind and that would require listening skills as part of it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Blacks

Evangelical Christians

Native Americans

Certain celebrities.

Prisoners.

I think in the long run, it's beneficial to both sides to talk about it. However in many cases, sometimes it's good, not harmful, to some, not all, people with issues to be told that forgiveness and turning the other cheek is in some instances the best option.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sometimes people just need to know that not all misunderstandings contain evil intent. Our brains tend to misfire whether blacks, Evangelical Christians, etc. Though the blame game is usually done as an initial instinct due to us not having evolved quite enough yet and still being a bit tribal in our thinking.

Disclaimer: My saying this isn't trying to downplay real, disgusting instances of discrimination.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Blacks

Evangelical Christians

Native Americans

Certain celebrities.

Prisoners.

We should listen to them, and hear what they have to say yes.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Anything without deserve or discretion would be unwise.

Listening falls under that category. I think every virtue does as well.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I suppose I need more context. Like, if I'm in a hurry and on my way to an appointment I have no obligations to listem to someone who wants to chat. But, if someone is suicidal, thats a completely different issue and listening and having a conversation (with the listening part being very important and reassuring you have been) can save a life.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Blacks

Evangelical Christians

Native Americans

Certain celebrities.

Prisoners.

Australians.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Living in a society.

Accepting the two basics of morality, well-being and equality, obligates us to take effort to be informed, especially in a democracy were our informed vote has influence over the well-being of our society.
Listening to groups who are (or claim to be) treated unfair tells us about the state of equality in our society.
And even more than just being informed, it compels us to act on the information gained.