• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we go to heaven or hell by default?

I am trying to get a feel for where people go that haven't been exposed to a religious text. I feel the answer speaks volumes about the creator.

If I haven't heard the word of God, do I go to Hell by default, or am I saved by grace?

If I go to Hell for not having heard the gospel, then I believe this paints a picture of our creator as one who abandons its creations, and is ultimately cruel.

If I go to Heaven by default for not having heard the gospel, then I believe that everyone should stop spreading the word. Because this implies that you only go to Hell if you've heard the word and then sinned. If you never hear the word, then you don't know what sin is, and therefore cannot be held accountable.

Thoughts?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Q: Who created you?
A: God.
Then He is the one who knows what's good for you and what's bad for you. Since He is your creator, isn't it better for you and also out of gratefulness to Him to obey Him. Throughout ages he sent prophets to teach people how they could lead a successful life, a life that leads to His eternal bliss. So isn't it wise to follow His teaching and obey Him so as to deserve His eternal blessing, Paradise.

Peace

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
A: God.
Then He is the one who knows what's good for you and what's bad for you. Since He is your creator, isn't it better for you and also out of gratefulness to Him to obey Him. Throughout ages he sent prophets to teach people how they could lead a successful life, a life that leads to His eternal bliss. So isn't it wise to follow His teaching and obey Him so as to deserve His eternal blessing, Paradise.

Peace
Well, that's your version. His question in the OP though was more based on:

A: I don't know, never thought about it or heard the question.

GabrielWithoutWings

I am trying to get a feel for where people go that haven't been exposed to a religious text. I feel the answer speaks volumes about the creator.

If I haven't heard the word of God, do I go to Hell by default, or am I saved by grace?

If I go to Hell for not having heard the gospel, then I believe this paints a picture of our creator as one who abandons its creations, and is ultimately cruel.

If I go to Heaven by default for not having heard the gospel, then I believe that everyone should stop spreading the word. Because this implies that you only go to Hell if you've heard the word and then sinned. If you never hear the word, then you don't know what sin is, and therefore cannot be held accountable.

Thoughts?

What'll really flip your noodle is asking why an omni-benevolent god would tell his disciples to go forth and spread the gospel if invincible ignorance will let pretty much everyone off the hook.

Sounds like someone needs some attention or just wants people to burn.

:shrug:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Weird :areyoucra

:confused: What is weird? I understand that nowadays almost everybody have heard about the god-concept, but I can imagine that there are tribes that do not follow God because they found anything else for it. And If I can believe there is no God, there can be another.. at least 1 person as that would be enough for the OP.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible

Thoughts?

I think it says in the Bible that God will judge those who have not heard of Him, by their hearts and deeds... or something like that. In other words, He'll judge them fairly.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I've seen a similar question on Yahoo answers, and one person said that "Everyone knows the Gospel. God told it to everyone in the beginning." Or something along those lines. I know for a fact that this isn't true.

I think that the Bible/Qur'an is for those people whom God has chosen and as for everybody else, as Phasmid says (don't know how to quote someone here yet) they're judged by their deeds. That's my view on what it might be like.

EMA

Dear All,

In response to the above question I am presenting the following verse from the Quran:

17:15 Who receiveth guidance, receiveth it for his own benefit: who goeth astray doth so to his own loss: No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another: nor would We visit with Our Wrath until We had sent an apostle (to give warning).

Therefore, Allah (God) would send a messenger before sending punishment. However, I believe messengers sent to different people could and may be different. That means they could be human prophets, books, signs in the universe that one would conclude that God must be one, or signs in one self, or other methods that I/we may not be aware of but surely Allah will not punch before making sure that people received the message and if they rejected then they will be punished for that.

tomspug

Absorbant
The Bible says that God is just and that, in the end, everything will properly be taken in to account. I like to think that God isn't as legalistic as churches make Him out to be. That being said, that doesn't make the "gospel" any less of "good news" to those who hear it.