• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do theists disbelieve the same God as atheists? Topic open for everyone

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not necessarily, no. I mean, we would first have to clarify what it means for an experience to be real. The stereotypical murderer who has a vision of St. Mary - he may or may not actually experience some vision, and he may believe it to be factual at that point.
Let's come back to this again. He had an experience. Period. The experience is a real experience. What he saw, how he interprets it, is what is a matter of question. Not the fact that "something" happened. It could be a drug-induced hallucination for all I care. But that person had an actual experience. What of, is the question. The only time you could say he didn't have an experience, is to claim a false memory where nothing ever happened historically. Get it now?

And it might change his life. What if he later thinks that the vision was false? The effect might still be the same. I mean, with all those "supernatural experiences" out there, visions of all kinds of beings, pertaining to all kinds of religions, would it really be feasable to claim that all of them are real in the same way?
Yes. They had a subtle-level experience, either as a peak experience, drug-assisted mystical experiences, or natural meditation experiences. How that is experienced will vary from person to person, and culture to culture. The Christian will see a Christian religious figure, the Hindu and Hindu one, the Buddhist and Buddhist one, and so forth. But they are all having similar mystical state experiences. They are all subtle-level mystical states, and they all bear similar features, similar characteristics, similar descriptions, despite the fact the forms they take, the faces they bear are different. I know I went into detail on this before.

A drug-induced hallucination might change one's life. Quite often, this change will be for the worse, but with a huge enough number of drug experiences out there, at least a few of them are bound to create an artist or a philanthropist.
This is a bit of tedious ground to explore here, but it's not a case of "for the worse" if they experience was part of some spiritual awakening. If you are talking just getting stoned to "flip out" or something, like a bad acid trip, yes that can mess with someone's head. Step back from drug experiences for a minute, and let's talk spontaneous "peak experiences". Typically this is a result of some sort of catharsis in someone's life, some deep existential crisis that leads to an awakening moment. This can and does change someone's life radically. But some people will choose to ignore these because they are too much to handle, fear of rejection, fear of life change, etc. I covered all this before too....

Dreams might do the same.
I'd have to hear an example of the sort of "dream" you are describing.

Sure, interpretations are always relative to one's ideology. But then again, that doesn't render the experience "absolute".
Did I ever once say the experience is absolute?

It's just not relative to your thoughts. But it sure is relative to your body, to your brain structure, to all that evolution has done to it etc. I guess it's even relative to a lot of your previous thoughts and actions. Can my cats have spiritual experiences? I don't know, it might be feasable, but there is huge room for doubt here.
I would never say that Enlightenment would be understood the same in all lifeforms. I don't believe there actually is any end-point of Enlightenment. As long as we have a body, and as long as that changes, how we experience Life, will always be on the move. If our species manages to continue to evolve if the earth doesn't snuff us all out first, the human of the future will understand Enlightenment is ways beyond what those who are enlightened today do.

If our brains had greater capacity, then how Consciousness is experienced in its pure states, will be experienced differently. It becomes a matter of greater depths, greater capacities for Awareness to be experienced and known. It's Infinite, but we are not. Enlightenment, is the pinnacle, the height of human experience of the Divine, if you will. Other species have different capacities. At what point we call it "spiritual" is a matter of degrees relative to ourselves. But ultimately everything is Spirit. It's really a matter of how deeply we see, or do not see it as such.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You look at that book and you see an object that is impossible. In the next step, you add a thought that says, "Ah it's from that book, sure it's just an illusion".
In what sense?

But that's already way past what your eyes are doing. If that were not the case, it would be utterly impossible to enjoy a movie.

But if that's too far-fetched as an example, do a little research on what your brain and your eyes do to the image of the world around you. It's pretty... eye-opening, pardon the pun.
That assumes an image of the world that is not " what my brain and eyes do." That assumes a lot.

vijeno

In what sense?

In what sense... is what, do I do what...? What?

That assumes an image of the world that is not " what my brain and eyes do." That assumes a lot.

The existence of an objective world out there is the simplest explanation for why we are able to communicate, and why there seems to be such an awful lot of consistency between what different people perceive as true. With every other explanation, you still have the same problems, plus one more.[/QUOTE]

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's exactly the problem with what you're saying: You aren't actually saying anything.

Everything is X.
Nothing is X.
X is irrrelevant.
I'm saying plenty. You simply don't have the frame of reference where it makes perfect sense. I've said all this before too.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's exactly the problem with what you're saying: You aren't actually saying anything.

Everything is X.
Nothing is X.
X is irrrelevant.
"Since things neither exist nor don't exist,
are neither real nor unreal,
are utterly beyond adopting and rejecting -
one might as well burst out laughing."

~Longchenpa

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Maybe it's because I had a 3 strokes some time ago,
but half of what I read here is not making much sense anymore !
Maybe it's time for me to quit !
~
'mud

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Word Salad
Of course. When someone doesn't understand something, always go for the offensive insult to the person's mind. The mark of a truly unintelligent argument itself! I really don't think Longchenpa had a neurological disorder.

Longchenpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His major work is the Seven Treasures,[1] which encapsulates the previous six hundred years of Buddhist thought in Tibet. Longchenpa was a critical link in the exoteric and esoteric transmission of the Dzogchen teachings. He was abbot of Samye, one of Tibet's most important monasteries and the first Buddhist monastery established in the Himalaya, but spent most of his life travelling or in retreat.
Comments like yours makes yourself appear the fool, instead of the person you try to make one into.

Last edited: