• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do some soldiers enjoy killing?

christallen

Cynical Optimist
are you suggesting that your country doesn't have a system of checks and balances or a command structure to deal with any deviance from the rules of engagement?

Considering how much we've trampled on the Geneva Conventions, what exactly are the rules of engagement?

dust1n

Zindīq
Do some Soldiers enjoy killing? first it should be remembered that when a Soldier shoots someone its normally because he is in a fire fight and someones trying to kill him and he carries this out using the training he has been given,i doubt there are many Soldiers who enjoy killing,maybe a sense of elation that you are alive but your enemy is pushing up Daisies.

I agree, but you have to take in consideration soldiers who are in low-risk engagement such as helicopter gunners, snipers, and tank drivers.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I feel like you are demonising American service men and women. I only wish for just one day you could walk in their shoes.

While many are, not all soldiers are exemplars of discipline, valor and honor. I hate the idea that we should revere by default anyone in a uniform (police, military or otherwise), especially considering positions of power are guaranteed to be rife with corruption and misconduct.

kai

ragamuffin
The debate is in the title... Do some soldiers enjoy killing? I wondered whom what argue. Instead, some patriots defending their country had to make sure everyone knew they thought I was a douche for suggesting that my topic was anti-American troops (which is significantly humorous, considering I said nothing about any particular countries soldiers.)

No. I asked a bunch of questions involving citizen concern over a certain pleasure.

It's not "enjoyment"? Then you are arguing no to the OP question, correct?

My answer is of course there are some nutters , the same as there are civilians who enjoy inflicting pain and killing, except of course there is much more restriction and overseeing than in civilian life. It quickly comes to everyone's attention if someone isn't quite right.

And the comments you are referring to ? personally without asking the guys concerned i wouldn't have a clue whether they are just soldiers banter or not but from experience i would say its banter.

kai

ragamuffin
I agree, but you have to take in consideration soldiers who are in low-risk engagement such as helicopter gunners, snipers, and tank drivers.

you have picked some the most well trained people. The government spends a lot of money training these guys , you don't think any "odd" behaviour wouldnt go unnoticed.

dust1n

Zindīq
My answer is of course there are some nutters , the same as there are civilians who enjoy inflicting pain and killing, except of course there is much more restriction and overseeing than in civilian life. It quickly comes to everyone's attention if someone isn't quite right.

And the comments you are referring to ? personally without asking the guys concerned i wouldn't have a clue whether they are just soldiers banter or not but from experience i would say its banter.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Should a solider be subject to psychological examination to qualify as a recruit?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend dustn1,

Do some soldiers enjoy killing?

No idea.
Personally found that even killing a chicken or a dove and then cooking it for eating; could never eat.
Even otherwise even killing any insect am conscious of the act and avoid in most circumstances.

Love & rgds

kai

ragamuffin
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Should a solider be subject to psychological examination to qualify as a recruit?

well you don't just sign here and take the queens schilling anymore you know the whole process is pretty daunting , -------or do you mean those tests where they ask you "if you were a car what car would you be?" Ha ha

dust1n

Zindīq
well you don't just sign here and take the queens schilling anymore you know the whole process is pretty daunting , -------or do you mean those tests where they ask you "if you were a car what car would you be?" Ha ha

Fair enough. ;)