• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Pagans face discrimination and prejudice for their beliefs?

Laika

Premium Member
Hey,

I wanted to ask RF many Pagan members if you face discrimination, ignorance, bigotry and prejudice for your beliefs. Do you have to conceal your beliefs for friends, family, co-workers, etc? How do you deal with it?

Not being familiar with Paganism or knowing many Pagans offline, I wanted to ask as it had never occurred to me that this would be an issue even though you probably live in predominantly Christian societies.

You're welcome to go in to detail if you wish. I'm simply curious to know more. :)

Tmac

Hey,

I wanted to ask RF many Pagan members if you face discrimination, ignorance, bigotry and prejudice for your beliefs. Do you have to conceal your beliefs for friends, family, co-workers, etc? How do you deal with it?

Not being familiar with Paganism or knowing many Pagans offline, I wanted to ask as it had never occurred to me that this would be an issue even though you probably live in predominantly Christian societies.

You're welcome to go in to detail if you wish. I'm simply curious to know more. :)

Why would it be any difference for them than any other belief systems, after all, all present beliefs were sired by past beliefs, if they have eyes and intelligence they can see that the roots of all belief systems come together at one point.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wanted to ask RF many Pagan members if you face discrimination, ignorance, bigotry and prejudice for your beliefs.
When I was a Pagan I did. People tended to assume it's demonic in nature, conjuring demons, giving your soul to the devil, and that they are very misguided and lost and in need of realizing they are doing "the devil's" bidding. I was called demonically possessed, given mean looks over wearing a pentagram, and even thought to be a Satanist.
Why would it be any difference for them than any other belief systems
Because, especially in predominately Conservative Christian areas, it is pressumed that Pagans work with demons and the devil, and that nothing good can come from "witchcraft."

Tmac

When I was a Pagan I did. People tended to assume it's demonic in nature, conjuring demons, giving your soul to the devil, and that they are very misguided and lost and in need of realizing they are doing "the devil's" bidding. I was called demonically possessed, given mean looks over wearing a pentagram, and even thought to be a Satanist.

Because, especially in predominately Conservative Christian areas, it is pressumed that Pagans work with demons and the devil, and that nothing good can come from "witchcraft."

Simple answer is you didn't have an adult understanding of your beliefs. Ever hear about wearing a lamb chop overcoat and walking into a wolves den?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this will vary from country, Laika. Over here some schools are incorporating Samhain with Halloween.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Hey,

Yes to all of the above.

It's still generally better if someone doesn't know that you are religiously involved in the spirits of the discarnate, demons, or Satan himself. Not that any of these things are malignant in any way, but since it's against their religion you're automatically doing bad things.

Luckily, atheism is popular and I simply lie my head off. Those truly close to me know what I am about, but they also know me enough to know my nature as well. I've lost jobs due to people figuring out my spiritual inklings, so now no one knows unless they need to. I don't really look at it as lying, but giving them the amount of truth that they can handle. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Simple answer is you didn't have an adult understanding of your beliefs. Ever hear about wearing a lamb chop overcoat and walking into a wolves den?
Do Muslims not have an "adult understanding" of their faith? They get it worse than I did. What about Mormons? They too face a world that is often not warm to them. Or what about atheists? We have a thread going on about how much people don't like them.
And where did such a response come from? To me, it sounds like nothing more than victim blaming, and saying that certain people just shouldn't express themselves as freely as others, despite those expressions being Constitutionally protected and guaranteed, and despite the fact there were no problems with me, but the problems rested solely upon those who transgressed against me then, and do today still over position of non-theism.

Tmac

Do Muslims not have an "adult understanding" of their faith? They get it worse than I did. What about Mormons? They too face a world that is often not warm to them. Or what about atheists? We have a thread going on about how much people don't like them.
And where did such a response come from? To me, it sounds like nothing more than victim blaming, and saying that certain people just shouldn't express themselves as freely as others, despite those expressions being Constitutionally protected and guaranteed, and despite the fact there were no problems with me, but the problems rested solely upon those who transgressed against me then, and do today still over position of non-theism.

Chill bro chill but I also learn at a very young age that I don't have to be punched in the mouth more than once to think before I spoke the next time.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Yes, this.

My experience is that especially conservative Christians will mock, ridicule, threaten, harangue, and proselytize. One JW asked and listened politely, and asked intelligent questions...but he was the only one. The JWs that come by are very friendly and mostly accept "Thank you, we're not interested" and I don't have to say much. Baptists and LDS, not so much.

Liberal Christians are not nearly as inquisitive, in my experience, but they are more accepting and more likely to ask politely and actually listen to my answers. I have a minister friend who said if he hadn't gone with UCC, he would have preferred the "old, old, OLD Time Religion," like me.:D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Chill bro chill but I also learn at a very young age that I don't have to be punched in the mouth more than once to think before I spoke the next time.
So, if you're in any sort of minority, you should just be silent and take it from the majority?

First time I got punched in the mouth, I reported it to the police and signed a complaint against them...

Tmac

So, if you're in any sort of minority, you should just be silent and take it from the majority?

First time I got punched in the mouth, I reported it to the police and signed a complaint against them...

No and good for you. If you really believed that you have been here before then why are you still doing things the same way?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No and good for you. If you really believed that you have been here before then why are you still doing things the same way?
I want you to notice that this is the Interfaith DISCUSSION section of the forum, and your challenging of others' beliefs and "maturity" is out of line, in IMO. You have been reported.

And I see you created a new thread the in the Debate section on the question of maturity, which is the appropriate place for such a discussion.

So, when I got assaulted by a drunk back in the 1970s because I walked into a bar while I had long hair, I should have changed my behavior exactly how? You think he was being an adult?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There are some things worth getting punched in the mouth time, and time again over. If people have an issue with me wearing a pentagram, or whatever, it's their problem, not mine, and over such a thing I won't back down because I'm not the one with a problem and I'm not the one at fault.
If you go silent and tuck your tail after the first punch, nothing improves or gets done.

Tmac

There are some things worth getting punched in the mouth time, and time again over. If people have an issue with me wearing a pentagram, or whatever, it's their problem, not mine, and over such a thing I won't back down because I'm not the one with a problem and I'm not the one at fault.
If you go silent and tuck your tail after the first punch, nothing improves or gets done.

No doubt, okay so you've proven that they have a problem, what's the next step, making them punch you again, what does that prove?

Tmac

I want you to notice that this is the Interfaith DISCUSSION section of the forum, and your challenging of others' beliefs and "maturity" is out of line, in IMO. You have been reported.

And I see you created a new thread the in the Debate section on the question of maturity, which is the appropriate place for such a discussion.

So, when I got assaulted by a drunk back in the 1970s because I walked into a bar while I had long hair, I should have changed my behavior exactly how? You think he was being an adult?

Did he hit you the minute you walked into the "bar" with your long hair or did he wait for you to say something? Had you never seen a drunk before?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No doubt, okay so you've proven that they have a problem, what's the next step, making them punch you again, what does that prove?
That I won't be intimidated by their bullying and harassment, and instead of me going silent they can go **** off and learn to get over themselves.
Did he hit you the minute you walked into the "bar" with your long hair or did he wait for you to say something? Had you never seen a drunk before?
Does it even matter? He was attacked for being different. You'r "had you never seen a drunk before" sounds like more victim blaming.
The majority do not rule this world, and those of "otherness" should not cower and hide in closest because of the delicate sensitivities of a majority who is scared of boogeymen and shadows.

Tmac

That I won't be intimidated by their bullying and harassment, and instead of me going silent they can go **** off and learn to get over themselves.

Does it even matter? He was attacked for being different. You'r "had you never seen a drunk before" sounds like more victim blaming.
The majority do not rule this world, and those of "otherness" should not cower and hide in closest because of the delicate sensitivities of a majority who is scared of boogeymen and shadows.

That's so lame.