• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Older People Tend To Be Wiser?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Older people have been people for longer than younger people have. It only stands to reason that they're more experienced! :D

I think it depends on the personality of the person. Some people are 'old souls' and have wisdom beyond their years, whether young or old. Others are more fresh, and their wisdom might lie in different areas, such as an enthusiastic approach to life.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I think older people usually do tend to be wiser, even though I don't always want to admit it...they have seen more of the world, and experienced more of life. So therefore, they are generally wiser than those younger people. Like, a 25 year old would be wiser than a 15 year old, a 35 year old wiser than a 25 year old, a 45er wiser than a 35er, and so on and so on.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sunstone said:
Do older people tend to be wiser than younger people, or is that just a myth?
Absolutely. I personally believe they reach the peak of wisdom at 58 years of age -- although, it is entirely possible that that age will rise each year. :D My gut feel is that it will probably be 59 years of age by next fall.

XAAX

I would say i am very wise as opposed to when I was younger...Though this isn't always the case, some of my freinds are still clueless...

Booko

Deviled Hen
PREACH THE NETT said:
I would say i am very wise as opposed to when I was younger...Though this isn't always the case, some of my freinds are still clueless...

I find the older I get the more I realize just how much I don't know. :D

XAAX

Booko said:
I find the older I get the more I realize just how much I don't know. :D
Thats ok Booko, thats just senility setting in, I would say don't take it personally but you will probably forget to respond anyway...:drool: ....JK.:p

Hacker

Oh definitely, for me that is. The older I get, the better I'm able to make better decisions based on past experiences which is the greatest benefit to getting older in my opinion, I'm much happier and wiser than my younger years...it's all a learning process.:p

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Victor said:
As a general rule, yes. But you know young people rarely listen to you folks....:D

So true, Victor.

I believe it was Douglas Adams who said:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Ðanisty

Yes and no. I do feel that older people are wiser due to their experiences, but there is a point that people reach when they start to lose touch with the world. The world just changes around them and at some point, many people fail to adapt. I feel that I'm much wiser than I was 10 years ago, but I also see my parents falling out of touch with the way the world works. They still have a lot to offer, but in some respects, they really don't see how things have changed in this past decade or so. Sometimes their advice is simply useless.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
When I was eighteen, I was confident that there was nothing I didn't already know, that was ever worth knowing.

When I was twenty-five, I finally realized that I wasn't always the smartest guy in the room.

When I married at thirty, I came to know how wrong I could be (or at least blamed) in almost any circumstance.

When I attained thirty-five, I conceded that my parents weren't as stupid as I knew they were at eighteen.

By age forty, I had to think twice about things. A lot.

At forty-five, the inescapable conclusion arrived twenty years behind: Not only was I not the smartest guy in the room then...I never would be.

As I approach fifty, I'm just pleased to remember where I left my keys.

Failure, experience, and my spiteful refusal to die simply to appease the wishes of my enemies; this blend has imbued me with a character trait that some identify as wisdom. Many others remain skeptical of this attribution. I think it wise (or maybe just prudent) to offer a "No Comment".

While true that I have continually met folks younger than myself that I might deem as "wise beyond their years", I take comfort in the notion that time alone will temper that apparent wisdom, and that stupidity breeds five times faster than any amount of wisdom can ever successfully prevent.

"You can't reach old age by another man's road. My habits protect my life but they would assassinate you."
--Samuel Clemens (an embittered, yet wise man), 70th birthday speech, 1905

[PS. smiley emoticon insert here...just in case anyone thought I was coming off as some humorless curmudgeon. Age allows for wisdom to take hold, but it may also provide a medium for reducing the juices of prejudice, ignorance, and stupidity to their very essences. Youth presents it's own excuse in exhibition of feckless traits. Maturity of years does not. My wisdom resides in the learned lessons of time and circumstance...in that I'll always prefer to hire a carpenter of 30 years experience, versus one of virtually none (not all prejudices are unfair, or unwarranted).]

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Do older people tend to be wiser than younger people?

Absolutely. It's all about experince in life through so many years of happiness, sadness, suffering, etc.

Evelyn

Boy I sure thought they weren't. Anybody that watched black and white movies, close to collecting social security, and plays bingo. What can they possibly know that I don't know already?

PLENTY......:eek:

Ozzie

Not sure if someone already said this. But older people can be judged as wiser or not depending on where they have ended up in life. A lot of this is circumstancial. Someone who has "made it" materially can be said to be wise to the system. Someone less well off but with a developed sense of religious perspective can be said to be wise for having followed that path. An expert in any particular field can be said to be wise for their knowledge. Whether anyone is rated as wise depends probably on the similarity of values between the rater and the target. Age would tend to categorise people in any particular direction. Maybe the wisest of all are those that resist the temptation to adopt any particular path in life and remain open to new possibilities.

Oz