• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Muslims Have a Common Lectionary Like Many Christian Denominations?

Basically, I'm wondering how the subjects of the sermons are determined. In many Christian denominations, the pastor will use the readings of the week as prescribed in the common lectionary. ...

Union

Sorry man , I see nobody is replying you . I am also bit confused on what you really want to ask . Can you simply it . Thanks .

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Basically, I'm wondering how the subjects of the sermons are determined. In many Christian denominations, the pastor will use the readings of the week as prescribed in the common lectionary. ...
Peace be on you.
Ahmadiyya Khalifa explains Islamic concepts in terms of contemporary needs and issues. The general aim is rights of Allah and people, taking message of Islam to world, taking care internal issues, pointing out any weakness and telling how to eradicate it. Holy Quran is explained with help of Practice, Hadith, books of promised Messiah Mahdi and previous Khalifas. Concerned to Islam news and events in world are explained. Worldwide members and system of Jama'at keep contact with him through available means and request for prayers and guidance. His sermons become live feed guidance and all Community peacefully works in one direction.

[In local cities and areas, where Salaat / Prayer have diverse timings, Imam read sermons for Friday or Eids along above lines.]

[more @ sermons at mta.tv , alislam.org and khalifaofislam.org]

Last edited:

Servant_of_the_One1

The subject of the Friday Khutbah(sermon) is decided by the events that took place in the same week or month. Big events lately is the shameful attacks against Allah's messenger (Peace be upon him & his family) under socalled freedom of expression(in reality freedom of hatred). The Imam talked about how muslims should defend the honor of prophet Muhammad( peace be Upon him & his household) without violence.

Other topics of friday prayer's sermon were also isis. Imam was extremely critical of them. He said they are khawarij, the worst sect in islam according to some scholars, and apostates according to other scholars(iam leaned to agree with the latter scholars).

Midget01

Hello Jeff: While I understand your question we need to be careful of our wordings because what somewords mean to us these words do not have the same meaning for other faiths. You referred to common lectionaries. To my understanding most Christian Churches do not have such books but this is tradition in the Catholic Church and within the Lectionaries are options with guidelines. So when presenting a question and trying to sound open to other faiths yes it is important to come across as exclusive and not judgmental; but we also need to be clear so as not to confuse others by stating what we know to be Catholic. We are not bragging that we have this but merely stating that we have this and every Catholic Church in the world is then on the same page. I don't mean to be critical but have a few protestant friends who would not understand your question. I hope I have not misunderstood your intent either since words misunderstood can lead a conversation in another direction and this is not my intent. Peace.

Sorry man , I see nobody is replying you . I am also bit confused on what you really want to ask . Can you simply it . Thanks .
I think the simplest way I could rephrase it is, how does the imam decide what the subject of the sermon will be on Friday?
The replies below answer the question pretty well.

Hello Jeff: While I understand your question we need to be careful of our wordings because what somewords mean to us these words do not have the same meaning for other faiths. You referred to common lectionaries. To my understanding most Christian Churches do not have such books but this is tradition in the Catholic Church and within the Lectionaries are options with guidelines. So when presenting a question and trying to sound open to other faiths yes it is important to come across as exclusive and not judgmental; but we also need to be clear so as not to confuse others by stating what we know to be Catholic. We are not bragging that we have this but merely stating that we have this and every Catholic Church in the world is then on the same page. I don't mean to be critical but have a few protestant friends who would not understand your question. I hope I have not misunderstood your intent either since words misunderstood can lead a conversation in another direction and this is not my intent. Peace.

I see that my original question was unclear. I used the words common lectionary because one of the lectionaries is formally called the Revised Common Lectionary. Wikipedia does a decent job of differentiating the Catholic lectionary and the others.

I was raised Catholic and through most of my youth did not consider the idea of the lectionary, its role or purpose. Through using other resources such as textweek.com, I more recently learned other Christian denominations follow a lectionary as well. With a little digging, I learned that other Christian denominations that follow a lectionary of some kind include Presbyterian, Episcopal, some Lutherans and some Baptists. It would seem there are denominations that don't follow a lectionary, but quite a few do. I don't intend to create an exhaustive list of either. I guess there's more to learn for both of us.

My question is not a veiled attempt to trumpet anything particular about the Catholic faith. My question also doesn't suggest a lectionary is good or bad. My intent was to learn whether the the use of scheduled readings to inform sermons was something in common between Muslims and some Christian denominations.

Fortunately a couple other members figured out what I was wondering and I think answered my question. My takeaway is that in Islam there isn't a strict weekly calendar of scriptural readings, but that the Quran and other texts may be referenced in relation to current events. Many Christian clergy members try to relate texts to current events, as well.