• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do freya the goddess exist?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It depends on how you define Freya, but I can tell you what I think.

If Freya is an immortal woman with superhuman powers, then, no, Freya probably does not exist.

If Freya is an immaterial mind, like a spirit, that exists externally to one's mind, then, no, Freya probably does not exist.

If Freya is an agency behind some force of nature, then, no, Freya probably does not exist.

If Freya is a personification of abstract concepts like love, then, in a sense, Freya refers to real things.

If Freya is a psychological archetype associated with processes of the mind, such as those involved with infatuation, then, again, Freya refers to real things in a sense.

If Freya is a narrative archetype from cultural folklore, stories of which teach about man's existential purpose in the universe and demonstrate cultural mores, then, in a sense, the spirit of Freya is felt by all who believe in her.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If Freya is a personification of abstract concepts like love, then, in a sense, Freya refers to real things.

If Freya is a psychological archetype associated with processes of the mind, such as those involved with infatuation, then, again, Freya refers to real things in a sense.

If Freya is a narrative archetype from cultural folklore, stories of which teach about man's existential purpose in the universe and demonstrate cultural mores, then, in a sense, the spirit of Freya is felt by all who believe in her.
That is the impression I get from a great course about a related culture the Etruscans. I don't know for sure that I agree, but it seems like Freya is one of the original invisibles who has no form though is later represented with a form. The invisibility and lack of form suggests to me something like you are talking about, though I make great leaps having not read much about it.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
That is the impression I get from a great course about a related culture the Etruscans. I don't know for sure that I agree, but it seems like Freya is one of the original invisibles who has no form though is later represented with a form. The invisibility and lack of form suggests to me something like you are talking about, though I make great leaps having not read much about it.

Lucifer used to be merely a poetic personification of the morning star, with Cicero balking at the absurdity of worshiping him as a genuine god.

Of course, cults of Lucifer exist to this day who regard him as just that.

I often wonder how much of religion comes from taking mystics and poets too literally.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Lucifer used to be merely a poetic personification of the morning star, with Cicero balking at the absurdity of worshiping him as a genuine god.

Of course, cults of Lucifer exist to this day who regard him as just that.

I often wonder how much of religion comes from taking mystics and poets too literally.
Each generation of people has to learn over again not to take things literally all the time, because literal understandings are inaccurate but easy. They are easy but poorly convey the human experience and do not transform to keep up with a growing generation. A statement to a child sounds different to an adult, to a man, to a woman. The culture that succeeds in teaching this wins enormous advantages. How for example do we get people to stop believing in Science instead of understanding its practice? Its like a mystery religion already starting to form.

Now and then a scientist is treated (by the public) like a priest and takes advantage of it like a priest can. This is unavoidable, so what happens to that generation which forgets what science really is? What greater power than knowledge can you give to a priestly class? The Mayan priests ruled an entire nation merely by using a calendar which could predict seasons and the appearances of Venus. The kings obeyed the priests, because the priests knew when eclipses would come. They took Science and made it their personal power, and the people loved them for it. Our sciences are even more convincing and could make unassailable gods to an ignorant populace.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
What are you talking about? What does it mean to "believe in science?"
Each generation of humans has to learn not to assume information given is reliable, literal, explained as if to a child. We have to, each cycle of humans, learn to derive knowledge not merely process it. If we don't then anything can be treated like the mystics or like the poets and become rote, religious information. Any information is powerful, and if you don't know how to derive it for yourself then you rely upon those who can. They supply and you pay. This is what happens with the mystics and the poets to which you refer. The people want the knowledge handed to them without having to make the efforts to grasp it, and so they become users of a drug.

Could you give me an example?
Aristotle is an ancient example. People stopped reasoning and simply accepted being told. This happened various ways, but the point is that people eventually accepted just being told. People tend to. We tend to. There are modern examples of scientists treated like priests, too; treated like priests by those who don't want to learn how the knowledge is derived. Knowledge appears as if by magic on a plate to be consumed, and they accept it as such.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There should be a thread asking people to define exist/existence, without relying on a dictionary of course.
Definitely without relying on a dictionary. And also not relying on Scriptures, if I could choose

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
She might or might not, the best way to know which Jinn and offspring of Iblis rule mankind and rule the evil sorcerers and rebellious of humanity, is to prepare yourself for the night of Qadr. If you can connect to God on Laylatal Qadr, secrets of the world will be unveiled and you can join God's heaven which is safeguarded from all devils.

I've come to know that who is more known as the guardian of life and makes the dunya beautiful is a female demon and she is directly possessive of the wife of Gog (Abu Lahab of the time). Iblis is the direct possessor of Gog but the wife of Gog plays a huge rule too, and the demon possessing that sorceress is important to keep the fuel of love of Dunya alive.

The sorcerers known as the "carrier of the wood" in Surah Lahab is huge drive behind many of the female sorcerers in this world who plan behind the scenes.

Per Quran, there are many offspring of Iblis who are worshiped by Jinn Worshippers who think they are worshiping gods or Angels, but really are worshiping devils.

The problem with Gog/Abu Lahab/Pharaoh of time, if you kill him, another one pops. So although Gog and his wife are primarily responsible ("and he was to blame" (regarding Pharaoh who faced Musa (a)), there's no point of trying to stop the direct one.

It's about emphasizing on the light they seek to darken and the truth that is clear they seek to confuse people about and make unclear.

Know half the battle of truth and falsehood has and still is and will always be, about marriage.

And peace be upon who follows the guidance, for it is revealed hell is for who turns away from it.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is difficult to tell, since as ruler of the dead, there isn't much chance she is mortal or even an immortal. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. What I am getting from God is "Not as such.." That figures to be an ambiguous answer to me.