• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do differences in practices of faith mean we follow the same Jesus Christ?

Jeremy Mason

Again, you are authenticating the Christian Bible ! That is not what uss_bigd is asking

Practices of faith are what defines a faith and Christianity defines it's practices through the Bible. So, yes, i did answer his question and uss-bigd gave me a:clap:clap:clap.

uss_bigd

I generally don't like it when someone just posts a scripture without any comment, and assumes that anyone with any common sense or intelligence at all will interpret it the same way he does. But right now, I'm going to do just that...

Mark 9:38-40 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

Luke 9:49-50 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

yup.. that is correct some of the people of whom those verses refers to are these people:

Ezekiel 9:4
And the LORD said to him, "Pass through the city, through Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed in it."

"those who are not against us are for us" Jesus said.

those who sighs and groans over all abominations are not agains God, hence they were marked. and in so that they can be saved.

Remember? "God judges those from the outside"

I hope people see how consistent the wisdom in the bible is, all through out from the old to the new testament

uss_bigd

I generally don't like it when someone just posts a scripture without any comment, and assumes that anyone with any common sense or intelligence at all will interpret it the same way he does. But right now, I'm going to do just that...

Mark 9:38-40 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

Luke 9:49-50 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

by the way, it is not my explainations of what is written that will make anyone understand it is this:

1. Job 28:28
    And he said to man,'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,and to turn away from evil is understanding.'"
  2. Psalm 111:10
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;all those who practice it have a good understanding.His praise endures forever!
  3. Isaiah 11:2
    And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him,the Spirit of wisdom and understanding,the Spirit of counsel and might,the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
by the way, it is not my explainations of what is written that will make anyone understand it is this:

1. Job 28:28
    And he said to man,'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,and to turn away from evil is understanding.'"
  2. Psalm 111:10
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;all those who practice it have a good understanding.His praise endures forever!
  3. Isaiah 11:2
    And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him,the Spirit of wisdom and understanding,the Spirit of counsel and might,the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.
I understand. :D

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Then ... it's not Jesus? :shrug:
Why is that the only two books that Yeshua is in? Most certainly not.
On that note I think I should bow out of this discussion as I have noticed it is under 'Same Faith Debates' and I am not a Christian . . . excuse me.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Define "the same Jesus Christ."
How about...

1. The Only Begotten Son of God...
2. who was born to a virgin...
3. whose birth was prophesied by the prophets of old.
4. The only perfect man to have ever walked the earth...
5. teaching a gospel of love and mercy.
5. The Redeemer of mankind, who gave His life to pay for our sins...
6. Dying on the cross and asking His Father to forgive His murderers.
7. The risen Lord, who conquered death...
8. and who returned to His Father to prepare a place for each of us.
9. The One who will return to the earth in glory someday...
10. And reconcile us to His Father, to be eternally wrapped in the arms of His love.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
How about...

1. The Only Begotten Son of God...
2. who was born to a virgin...
3. whose birth was prophesied by the prophets of old.
4. The only perfect man to have ever walked the earth...
5. teaching a gospel of love and mercy.
5. The Redeemer of mankind, who gave His life to pay for our sins...
6. Dying on the cross and asking His Father to forgive His murderers.
7. The risen Lord, who conquered death...
8. and who returned to His Father to prepare a place for each of us.
9. The One who will return to the earth in glory someday...
10. And reconcile us to His Father, to be eternally wrapped in the arms of His love.
How about we let the OP define what he means by "the same Jesus Christ?" I'm interested in knowing what he means by using that particular qualifier. Is he referring to the historical Jesus, the Biblical Jesus, the Jesus we all have pictured in our own heads, a metaphorical Jesus? Who? Which?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
How about we let the OP define what he means by "the same Jesus Christ?" I'm interested in knowing what he means by using that particular qualifier. Is he referring to the historical Jesus, the Biblical Jesus, the Jesus we all have pictured in our own heads, a metaphorical Jesus? Who? Which?
Sorry, I assumed the question was open to anyone who was participating on the thread.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Sorry, I assumed the question was open to anyone who was participating on the thread.
Quite all right. But I don't think any of us can answer the question with any degree of accuracy unless we know what he means.:)

uss_bigd

there is only one Christ, the one whose life and teachings are in the Bible....so the question "what do you mean by the same Jesus Christ is retarded"

if you found another reference please let me know. thanks!

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
So you're talking about the Jew who started his own little Jewish sect and was ostracized by the Essenes put to death by the Romans and later glorified and methodically woven into the fabric of the World by a handful of Apostles and the very same Roman Empire in desperation to control it's people?

Jeremy Mason

So you're talking about the Jew who started his own little Jewish sect and was ostracized by the Essenes put to death by the Romans and later glorified and methodically woven into the fabric of the World by a handful of Apostles and the very same Roman Empire in desperation to control it's people?

There were many so-called messiahs during the time of Jesus, however, 2000 years later we are still talking about him today. It seem to me that Jesus wasn't just some random man that just happened to get this kind of notoriety.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
yes or no and why.

Hello,

If I understand the idea, it is whether different practices mean the object of faith for those practices (i.e. Christ) must then be different. Is this correct? If so, then the question is whether those who practice baptism by immersion and those who baptize by anointing on the head and those who reject any necessity of baptism all have different Christs.

Again, the Jesus Christ came from the bible, not from any other reference material.
Hence, in this thread, the authenticity of the bible is not questioned, because it is the only reference where the life and teachings of Christ can be found.

The above is not correct either historically or theologically. Christianity predates any canon and its respective belief sets extend beyond the same.

uss_bigd

Hello,

If I understand the idea, it is whether different practices mean the object of faith for those practices (i.e. Christ) must then be different. Is this correct? If so, then the question is whether those who practice baptism by immersion and those who baptize by anointing on the head and those who reject any necessity of baptism all have different Christs.

The above is not correct either historically or theologically. Christianity predates any canon and its respective belief sets extend beyond the same.

where else besides the bible can you find the life and teachings of christ?

uss_bigd

The Book of Mormon. (Sorry, you asked. ;) )

ok, do you mean eveything in the bible about jesus is the book of mormons?
or do you mean he was mentioned in the book of mormons?

did the account state it as firsthand information, or did the writers of the book of mormons use the bible as reference?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
ok, do you mean eveything in the bible about jesus is the book of mormons?
No, not everything. Not even His life, per se, but the whole book focuses on Him and His gospel.

or do you mean he was mentioned in the book of mormons?
Mentioned, yes. Hundreds of times, starting with prophesies of His coming (on page 2) and ending with a declaration that He is the Savior of the world (on page 531, the last page of the book).

did the account state it as firsthand information, or did the writers of the book of mormons use the bible as reference?
The Book of Mormon is a firsthand account of His ministry to the inhabitants of the ancient Americas following his resurrection, written by the people He ministered to.

(Look, it was not my intention to derail your thread. I merely answered your question. I can absolutely, positively guarantee that if you pursue this topic here and now, your thread will never get back on track. If you want to ask more questions, I would suggest you start a new thread in the LDS DIR forum.)