• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do differences in practices of faith mean we follow the same Jesus Christ?

uss_bigd

yes or no and why.

Again, the Jesus Christ came from the bible, not from any other reference material.
Hence, in this thread, the authenticity of the bible is not questioned, because it is the only reference where the life and teachings of Christ can be found.

if you want to question the authenticity of the bible please start a new thread, thank you!

A

angellous_evangellous

Probably.

There is only one Christ, but many reconstructions of him. We enjoy creating Christ in our own image, whether it's a friendly politically correct hippie or the figment of a fundamentalist's imagination. None of them are faithful to Scripture, because there is no one Jesus, but four in the Gospels, at least two in Paul, and possibly another in Hebrews, not to mention the scores of others in the apocrypha.

Choose one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and may God have mercy on your soul.

Jeremy Mason

(Gal. 1:6-9) " I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preach to
you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned."

(2 Peter 1: 20-21) "Above all you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

(2 Timothy 3:16-17) " All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be throughly equipped for every good work."

What Paul is saying here is that different practices of faith don't mean that we follow the same Jesus Christ. Ultimately, the Bible is the true standard for Christians. Some will say that the Bible was tainted through time, I would like to see the proof. The gospels that were not canonized were gospels that had major conflicts of interests to the gospels that were canonized. I agree that the timing of the canonization happened at very turbulent time, and understand other peoples concerns and rejections of the New Testaments authenticity. Never-the-less, when I read the Old and New Testament, I personally feel it is the Word of God. I will continue to grow Biblically while at the same time, open my mind to other ideas.

uss_bigd

(Gal. 1:6-9) " I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preach to
you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned."

(2 Peter 1: 20-21) "Above all you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

(2 Timothy 3:16-17) " All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be throughly equipped for every good work."

What Paul is saying here is that different practices of faith don't mean that we follow the same Jesus Christ. Ultimately, the Bible is the true standard for Christians. Some will say that the Bible was tainted through time, I would like to see the proof. The gospels that were not canonized were gospels that had major conflicts of interests to the gospels that were canonized. I agree that the timing of the canonization happened at very turbulent time, and understand other peoples concerns and rejections of the New Testaments authenticity. Never-the-less, when I read the Old and New Testament, I personally feel it is the Word of God. I will continue to grow Biblically while at the same time, open my mine to other ideas.

well said... well said:clap:clap:clap

A

angellous_evangellous

Probably.

There is only one Christ, but many reconstructions of him. We enjoy creating Christ in our own image, whether it's a friendly politically correct hippie or the figment of a fundamentalist's imagination. None of them are faithful to Scripture, because there is no one Jesus, but four in the Gospels, at least two in Paul, and possibly another in Hebrews, not to mention the scores of others in the apocrypha.

Choose one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and may God have mercy on your soul.

Yippie-kai-ee!!

:clap:clap:clap

Hoot! Hollar! Whistle!!

WEEEEE

A

angellous_evangellous

What Paul is saying here is that different practices of faith don't mean that we follow the same Jesus Christ. Ultimately, the Bible is the true standard for Christians. Some will say that the Bible was tainted through time, I would like to see the proof.
This is a picture of the earliest manuscript of John 1.1-14. The lines between the letters show where the scribe's text was corrupt, and he added what he thought the text should say. There aren't many on this picture, but others have many many more, and this is but one copy.

You can also see blank spots, where other scholars who copied this text would add what they thought should be there.

P66-1.jpg

Jeremy Mason

Thanks again for the info. I really do appreciate the research you have done.

I'm sure that there are many examples of fraud when it comes to archeological evidence. Since I can't read this example, I can't be edified as to what exactly was changed.

A

angellous_evangellous

Thanks again for the info. I really do appreciate the research you have done.

I'm sure that there are many examples of fraud when it comes to archeological evidence. Since I can't read this example, I can't be edified as to what exactly was changed.

Yes, that would take a considerable amount of explanation.

Here are some more pics though. Seeing the imperfection for yourself is more than half the battle. Below are pictures of P66, the oldest edition of John 13. It's in a Codex, which is basically a scroll cut into book pages, so you're seeing it one page at a time. Just to give you some context.

John 13.6-10

13610fp3.jpg

John 13.10-15

131015jn5.jpg

John 13.15-20

131520kv3.jpg

A

angellous_evangellous

What web site are you getting this from?

It's not a from a website. It's scanned from P. Bodmer II.

Some pics of P66 are available online. I have a few threads on it here, and I will post links in a second.

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...57-earliest-christian-codex-not-biblical.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/christianity/29217-oldest-nt-papyri.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru.../62727-cool-pictures-gospel-thomas-codex.html

And K. C. Hanson's website is useful - NT Papyri & Codices

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that everyone gets their idea of Jesus from the New Testament. They just interpret it differently sometimes in big ways and other times in small ways.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس

What Paul is saying here is that different practices of faith don't mean that we follow the same Jesus Christ. Ultimately, the Bible is the true standard for Christians. Some will say that the Bible was tainted through time, I would like to see the proof. The gospels that were not canonized were gospels that had major conflicts of interests to the gospels that were canonized. I agree that the timing of the canonization happened at very turbulent time, and understand other peoples concerns and rejections of the New Testaments authenticity. Never-the-less, when I read the Old and New Testament, I personally feel it is the Word of God. I will continue to grow Biblically while at the same time, open my mind to other ideas.
Again, you are authenticating the Christian Bible ! That is not what uss_bigd is asking

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
yes or no and why.

Again, the Jesus Christ came from the bible, not from any other reference material.
Hence, in this thread, the authenticity of the bible is not questioned, because it is the only reference where the life and teachings of Christ can be found.

if you want to question the authenticity of the bible please start a new thread, thank you!
I think Jesus fully understood the idea of looking inward to find the answers we search for and to eventually become a Christ as he was. We all have the ability to be a 'Son of God' something that has been taught and understood for centuries.
Let me ask you . . . when you say 'faith' are you strictly speaking of the Christian faith?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I believe that everyone gets their idea of Jesus from the New Testament. They just interpret it differently sometimes in big ways and other times in small ways.
I can assure you that I do not get my idea of Jesus from the NT or the OT

uss_bigd

I think Jesus fully understood the idea of looking inward to find the answers we search for and to eventually become a Christ as he was. We all have the ability to be a 'Son of God' something that has been taught and understood for centuries.
Let me ask you . . . when you say 'faith' are you strictly speaking of the Christian faith?

yes sir i mean christian faith, but i will start a thread later asking if we worship the same God...then that will include all religions.. thank you for asking sir.

uss_bigd

I think this thread is pretty much done as what is written is clear. People who disagree will just dwell on the authenticity of the bible, which is a seperate topic by itself. to begin with, some contradicting cannot be both true, as anyone i nthe right mind will agree to.

Different religous practices will never mean we follow the same Christ, if i may add to what was already stated by Jeremy Mason. here is the final proof (according to the bible), proof that not all people who call Christ will be validated.

The Narrow Door

Luke 13:22-30(Matthew 7.13,14,21-23)

As Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem, he taught the people in the towns and villages. Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

Jesus answered:
Do all you can to go in by the narrow door! A lot of people will try to get in, but will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and locks the door, you will be left standing outside. You will knock on the door and say, "Sir, open the door for us!"
But the owner will answer, "I don't know a thing about you!"
Then you will start saying, "We dined with you, and you taught in our streets."
But he will say, "I really don't know who you are! Get away from me, you evil people!" Then when you have been thrown outside, you will weep and grit your teeth because you will see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets in God's kingdom. People will come from all directions and sit down to feast in God's kingdom. There the ones who are now least important will be the most important, and those who are now most important will be least important.

Matthew 7:21-23

Not everyone who calls me their Lord will get into the kingdom of heaven. Only the ones who obey my Father in heaven will get in. On the day of judgment many will call me their Lord. They will say, "We preached in your name, and in your name we forced out demons and worked many miracles." But I will tell them, "I will have nothing to do with you! Get out of my sight, you evil people!"

I hope and pray that you understood.... to God be the glory!!!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I generally don't like it when someone just posts a scripture without any comment, and assumes that anyone with any common sense or intelligence at all will interpret it the same way he does. But right now, I'm going to do just that...

Mark 9:38-40 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

Luke 9:49-50 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.