• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Deists go to church?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Deists do not believe in worship to begin with. I am practically the only deist out of the ones I have known who worships god. :shrug: the Deistic mindset is closer to atheism honestly

Titanic

I have never heard of any deist going to any religious house of worship. Like Sterling said it is much closer to atheism.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Deists are often called "Atheists in Denial". This is a common quote amongst atheists in response to deism. There are even videos on YouTube of atheists trying to understand Deism.

Worship is not relevant to Deism the same way that opposition towards religion is not relevant towards atheism. Sure there are atheists who do oppose religion but it is not necessary to be an atheist(makes one an anti-theist actually).

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have never heard of any deist going to any religious house of worship. Like Sterling said it is much closer to atheism.

Did you know that everybody is a Deist? Id you believe in material existence or the study of it or believe in god you are a Deist but the difference is that the amount of your Deism varies.

All Christians are Deists truthfully as they all make personal judgments about Jesus and God and the the Bible.
Atheists are Deists because they make assertions about religions and the works of god(the universe).

This is something many Deists int he past have proposed. Much like how Islam states that the soul always knows of Allah. They believe that we are born with knowledge of Allah and that it is do to our parents and society in which we become Christians or Hindus although at birth we are Muslims.
This being false of course is similar to what many Deists state.

Deists like myself that we are born with reason and logic and capable of understanding god, whether it be through materialism or metaphysics. The degree of our deism is what varies, not whether or not we are Deists. Atheism to me is just lesser Deism in which one denounces god and unknowingly accepts God's creation. Personally I have no issue with this as it is exceedingly smart and on par with higher Deism.

Titanic

Did you know that everybody is a Deist? Id you believe in material existence or the study of it or believe in god you are a Deist but the difference is that the amount of your Deism varies.

All Christians are Deists truthfully as they all make personal judgments about Jesus and God and the the Bible.
Atheists are Deists because they make assertions about religions and the works of god(the universe).

This is something many Deists int he past have proposed. Much like how Islam states that the soul always knows of Allah. They believe that we are born with knowledge of Allah and that it is do to our parents and society in which we become Christians or Hindus although at birth we are Muslims.
This being false of course is similar to what many Deists state.

Deists like myself that we are born with reason and logic and capable of understanding god, whether it be through materialism or metaphysics. The degree of our deism is what varies, not whether or not we are Deists. Atheism to me is just lesser Deism in which one denounces god and unknowingly accepts God's creation. Personally I have no issue with this as it is exceedingly smart and on par with higher Deism.

Wouldn't Agnosticism be even better than Atheism?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I've recently adopted a more Deistic god-concept, but I do go to a Unitarian Universalist church. I also go to various other places of worship on occasion for contemplation, meditation, and spiritual experience.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've recently adopted a more Deistic god-concept, but I do go to a Unitarian Universalist church. I also go to various other places of worship on occasion for contemplation, meditation, and spiritual experience.

It's funny because I'm now the exact opposite... I avoid temples, churches or other religious gatherings because I like to remain anonymous. When I was Eastern Orthodox and a member of a smallish parish, I became entirely too involved, with too many people wanting to "get close". When I was attending the Hindu temple, I was noticed, as were my absences, which generated questions when I did go. As my sister-in-law says, "whatever blows your hair back". :D

tatygirl90

I don't go to Church. I don't really see the point in it. I talk to God anytime I feel like it. I do miss the community aspect but I don't miss getting up early and stuffing myself into stockings.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Do they generally find a place to worship?

Not to practice deism, no. For me the rituals, prayer and holy tenets accepted as true are just to grating. I do wish there was a way to interact with other deists, but it's become the common wisdom over the years the trying to get deists to do so is akin to herding cats.

Deists do not believe in worship to begin with. I am practically the only deist out of the ones I have known who worships god. :shrug: the Deistic mindset is closer to atheism honestly

There are other forms of worship than in a church. You worship a possible deist God by the pursuit of Truth through knowledge, justice, love and beauty.

I am a Agnostic.

EVERYONE should be an agnostic first about whatever they believe--unless they have absolute proof. Good luck with that.

Science is my temple, this is how I praise God

[youtube]JB7jSFeVz1U[/youtube]
Ode to the Brain! by Symphony of Science - YouTube

Science is one of the methods for the worship of a possible God through the pursuit of that which such a God would embody, Truth (the Temple if you will); but science only deals with knowledge. As mentioned above, there's also justice, love and beauty which are also aspects of Truth.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I am a Deist and I 'Appreciate existence' everywhere and anywhere. I wander into Churches, Chapels, even cemetery chapels, and anywhere else that I am allowed to go.

And I appreciate and think, rather than Worship. :)