• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians hate us

payak

Woman with “familiar spirits” must be stoned to death. Leviticus 20:27
“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.” Exodus 22:18

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13
Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5

Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10

Shun those who disagree with your religious views. Romans 16:17

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8

Whoever denies “that Jesus is the Christ” is a liar and an anti-Christ. 1 John 2:22

Christians are “of God;” everyone else is wicked. 1 John 5:19

The non-Christian is “a deceiver and an anti-Christ” 2 John 1:7

Anyone who doesn’t share Paul’s beliefs has “an evil heart.” Hebrews 3:12

False Jews are members of “the synagogue of Satan.” Revelations 2:9, 3:9

Everyone will have to worship Jesus -- whether they want to or not. Philippians 2:10

A Christian can not be accused of any wrongdoing. Romans 8:33

the last 2 are amusing

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Despite those verses, I can assure that I don't hate anyone at all. I never thought about stoning anyone. The Christians I know personally don't speak of stoning people, either.

But I can't win with this argument, I've seen similar. If I say I don't stone people then anyone can say "then you're not a true Christian" and if I were to say that I do, then I am called hateful.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think Christians should be expected to behave in harmony to each and every verse of the Bible.

The flip side of that is, naturally, that the Bible is poor evidence of Christians' merits and shortcomings.

Perhaps ironically, I expect the more questionable parts to be the most easily transcended by actual Christians. People do after all have their own consciences and perceptions and will more often than not improve on the literal message when they perceive a reason to.

payak

Despite those verses, I can assure that I don't hate anyone at all. I never thought about stoning anyone. The Christians I know personally don't speak of stoning people, either.

But I can't win with this argument, I've seen similar. If I say I don't stone people then anyone can say "then you're not a true Christian" and if I were to say that I do, then I am called hateful.

I believe most Christians to be good moral people,good God fearing Christians that is.
Reading your post however,what draws you to the religion,is it the new testament,and are you a believer that you can follow your own Christian path,just you and God without the Church.

4consideration

Premium Member
You really should have looked up the verses that you are quoting, instead of just removing the headings from the sections on that Christianity bashing website that coincidentally has the exact same wording as most of your OP.

Would you like me to prove it to you?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe most Christians to be good moral people,good God fearing Christians that is.
Reading your post however,what draws you to the religion,is it the new testament,and are you a believer that you can follow your own Christian path,just you and God without the Church.

It is Jesus' teachings, including but not limited to (some of these were also in the Tanakh):
Love your God with all your heart, spirit, and might.
Love your neighbor as yourself
Show mercy and you will be shown mercy
Don't condemn or you will be condemned
Take the log out of your own eye before condemning your brother about the splinter in his eye.
Feed the widows and orphans
If someone asks for something, give it to him (or her)
And so on.

payak

If it's any help, most of the people who these books were attributed too...probably didn't write them :).

If the individuals that are named in the Bible wrote it,they most have been a amazingly old.
21 books existed for Christians up unto the Roman Emperor Consantine decided to cut and add holy books in order to maintain more control of the people.

If He could do that,perhaps it's time the pope said these chapters and versus are being removed,maybe even remove the ot altogether to be sold separately as more of a historical read as putting it with the nt confuses people.

The nt seems to be a way of life, the ot a historical read with rules on life to,however the rules are from a culture that was quite barbaric and old.

The separation of the ot and nt would help Christians, although they should continue to study both, although when you reach the nt it clearly points it out, by having them in the one book people will believe the ot's teachings are what modern Christians may believe and they clearly do not.

The ot sold seperatly and clearly labelled as a historical read, the nt labelled as the way of life for Christians.

payak

You really should have looked up the verses that you are quoting, instead of just removing the headings from the sections on that Christianity bashing website that coincidentally has the exact same wording as most of your OP.

Would you like me to prove it to you?

No coincidence, many websites have it, do you think I scrolled through the Bible and found them myself.

And you thought you had an amazing discovery and caught me out and had exposed me,no need to prove it to me as you say,I know I stole the verses off a site,I know because I did it,was not attempting to hide it.

now back to the point,are you denying the Bible say's these things,or should I get one and prove to you the subject avoider that it does.

read my other posts on this thread before you get all defensive to,i am not anti Christian.

4consideration

Premium Member
No coincidence, many websites have it, do you think I scrolled through the Bible and found them myself.

And you thought you had an amazing discovery and caught me out and had exposed me,no need to prove it to me as you say,I know I stole the verses off a site,I know because I did it,was not attempting to hide it.

now back to the point,are you denying the Bible say's these things,or should I get one and prove to you the subject avoider that it does.

read my other posts on this thread before you get all defensive to,i am not anti Christian.

Don't need to read the verse's or the forum rules, either?

payak

Don't need to read the verse's or the forum rules, either?

Don't talk rubbish, I put the verses only,from the bible regardless of where they are found.

everything almost said and done in life is pieced together from other sources.

No rules broken, and you know it, is that your answer to the debate, to attempt to quote forum rules that I have not broken, has this thread got you foaming at the mouth or something.

take some deep breaths,the old testamants teachings are showing in your attitude right now,relax.

Rules also mention something about sticking to the subject.

4consideration

Premium Member
You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

I'm not going through this whole thing. I have somewhere to go. (We'll start here, though.)

"Your" OP summaries the verse as quoted above. My Bible shows this as the verse.

Exodus 22:20 "You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt."

Tell me how "you" came up with "your" interpretation, please.

payak

I'm not going through this whole thing. I have somewhere to go. (We'll start here, though.)

"Your" OP summaries the verse as quoted above. My Bible shows this as the verse.

Exodus 22:20 "You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt."

20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

yes it days say this also.

payak

you can tap dance around it all day,It absolutely positively does speak of killing numerous people.

Don't get angry at me,I never wrote it,It's in your Bible so get upset at the Bible.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
These type of verses cause many such as Christians to cherry pick, and at the same time they say that all the bible gods words, its either you believe the bible is all true or its not, you cannot have it both ways.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm not about to blame people for refusing hateful words, much less demand that they do.

If Christians realize that such verses can't be taken too seriously, more power to them.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
It'd be helpful to post the full verses before, or alongside the criticisms.

Most of these go misinterpreted. They're presented without much explanation. Nevertheless, most of them are true in some regard.

My Bible shows this as the verse.

Actually, that's the very next verse, Exodus 22:21. :)

20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

yes it days say this also.
Correct. Taken together, Exodus 22:20-21 is as follows:

20“Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the Lord must be destroyed.d
21“Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt.

It's essentially one of the many contradictions in the bible that leaves me scratching my head, for how does one manage to avoid mistreating or oppressing someone while at the same time destroying them? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that 'foreigners' in the one verse probably made up a good chunk of those who 'sacrificed to any god other than the Lord' in the other.