• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians believe the Second Coming of Christ is imminent?

4consideration

Premium Member
I say preaching is against forum rules and that IMO it is unwise to try to get other members to do that.

edit: I think I should clarify that your use of the "preach" icon gave me the impression that you are looking for preaching on the matter, rather than a discussion of various beliefs on the subject, within the very broad range of beliefs that fall under the Christian label.

My personal response is that I accept a general idea that no one will know the time and day -- nor do I personally think it will be in a form often discussed. I don't really know, and don't really care to spend much time dwelling upon some future day.

I also hold the belief that the answer to your question in the title is both yes and no. IMO, internally there is always the option (which I would consider "imminent") to more fully center oneself within what I would call Christ Consciousness. In that regard, I think the return of Christ is a potential within any situation, which would look like whatever holds the best potential for the best possible outcome for all concerned to be the perspective held within that situation.

I do not think of a "physical return" happening anytime soon, nor do take the Book of Revelations in a literal sense.

Last edited:
Christians have believed the return of Jesus will be in their life times since the first generation of Christians. In one of the epistles, the writer advises not to bother getting married as the second coming of Jesus is imminent. There are also other statements in the epistles showing the belief that the second coming of Jesus would come in their life times like James 5:1 "Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you.Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded.Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days."

XIII-Legion

Christians have believed the return of Jesus will be in their life times since the first generation of Christians.

:confused: Well, thanks for your answer; but it's not very reassuring, as here we're trying to establish whether he will return in the lifetime of this GENERATION.

But, I think your answer is too vague and GENERALIZED to be of any use.
:help:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
:confused: Well, thanks for your answer; but it's not very reassuring, as here we're trying to establish whether he will return in the lifetime of this GENERATION.

But that's the whole point. Every generation is to believe that he will return at any moment. It prevents sloth.

XIII-Legion

I say preaching is against forum rules and that IMO it is unwise to try to get other members to do that.

Yes, I appreciate what you've said; but the icon doesn't have any such purpose. My only point was to improve the formatting of the question/reply to the respondent; but I had no intention to preach in anyway, shape or form.

Or perhaps, it wasn't made clear from the main body of text in my question/answer?

4consideration

Premium Member
Isn't "the second coming" part of christian dogma?

I don't know. Show me what you mean by "christian dogma".

There are plenty of people (I don't happen to be one of them) that say you have to fulfill their definition of Christian, or you're not a TRUE Christian. I do not accept that as a valid position on the subject. If a person considers themselves Christian just because they find the teachings of Jesus inspiring to apply to their own life, that is perfectly fine and acceptable a definition for me.

4consideration

Premium Member
Yes, I appreciate what you've said; but the icon doesn't have any such purpose. My only point was to improve the formatting of the question/reply to the respondent; but I had no intention to preach in anyway, shape or form.

Or perhaps, it wasn't made clear from the main body of text in my question/answer?

Just to clear up where I was coming from, I noted that you were a new member and that your first two posts were threads in the Christianity DIR, both of which used the "preach" icon in the OP. (Welcome to RF, by the way.)

Given the name of this forum, it is not uncommon for people to sometimes expect preaching (or to preach.) It seemed to me that preaching from others was what you were looking for. It was not the body of your text, it was all the icons. Quite frankly they came across to me as a little sarcastic. I'm sorry if I distracted things on your thread, (edit: or if I misread your intention.)

It's pointless to speculate when Jesus will return as the bible says no one knows the day or the time. Many of the prophecies predicting his return are vague and generalized. Things like earthquakes, famines, wars, and doubters have existed before and after Jesus. This allows every christian to believe Jesus will return before they die. Virtually every generation of Christians have thought the return of Jesus was going to happen in their life times and every single one of them was wrong. What makes you think you have better odds than every generation that came before you?

4consideration

Premium Member
Is it not part of the belief of christians that The Christ will return. That is part of christian dogma i.e. a fundamental part of christianity's foundation.As is the resurrection.

I'm really not sure what you are getting at. Please be more specific, if my answer below doesn't clear it up for you.

I said I don't really know and don't really care about the time.

You asked if a return of Christ isn't part of the Christian dogma, in response to that statement. There are many and various beliefs about this issue throughout Christianity. I don't think there is such a thing as "Christian dogma" on this issue, although specific denominations may have their own dogma about it.

edit: It may clear things up to address the term of "dogma". Dogma - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary Dogma is typically a set of principles or beliefs set down by someone (or group) in authority. I recognize no specific denomination of Christianity as having full authoritative control for the purpose of establishing dogma on any subject for the whole of chrisitianity.

I think the statement I made about no one knowing the time or day of it pretty much covers it regarding my own opinion.

There are some things, especially those things I don't know and have no control over, personally, that I am quite willing to admit and not focus upon in my life. That is one of them. It seems to me that you may be trying to make a point that I am (a Christian is) in some way required to have an opinion on, or focus on this issue -- and considering the part of my post you quoted, it seems you are focusing on the time. I place no emphasis on neither the time, nor the form of such a happening. Having specific beliefs about future events is not a requirement of Christianity, IMO.

Last edited:

monti

I'm really not sure what you are getting at. Please be more specific, if my answer below doesn't clear it up for you.

I said I don't really know and don't really care about the time.

You asked if a return of Christ isn't part of the Christian dogma, in response to that statement. There are many and various beliefs about this issue throughout Christianity. I don't think there is such a thing as "Christian dogma" on this issue.
You mentioned "time" and not caring about it. The title of this thread is a question :
" Do Christians believe the Second Coming of Christ is imminent"?
The second coming is about Time. The second coming is supposed to happen in times future, the way we led to understand it.
It's not a big issue. So let’s not make it one.:)

4consideration

Premium Member
You mentioned "time" and not caring about it. The title of this thread is a question :

The second coming is about Time. The second coming is supposed to happen in times future, the way we led to understand it.
It's not a big issue. So let’s not make it one.:)

That's cool. We don't need to make a big issue of it.

I was merely responding to (and curious about) the sentence of mine that you quoted and the question you posed to it, when the answer about time was the last sentence of my first post. I thought you were trying to make a specific point with your question.

I do not think of a "physical return" happening anytime soon, nor do take the Book of Revelations in a literal sense.

kaoticprofit

It's pointless to speculate when Jesus will return as the bible says no one knows the day or the time. Many of the prophecies predicting his return are vague and generalized. Things like earthquakes, famines, wars, and doubters have existed before and after Jesus. This allows every christian to believe Jesus will return before they die. Virtually every generation of Christians have thought the return of Jesus was going to happen in their life times and every single one of them was wrong. What makes you think you have better odds than every generation that came before you?

Christians who believe that Christ return is imminent are all pre-tribbers. The bible is clear that Christ returns AFTER the tribulation period. (Actually just before its end).

There are a ton of signs mentioned in the bible about the conditions we are to expect before His return, but we must endure tribulation FIRST and then Christ returns. But I would like you to see what I think about "the beginning" or "birth pangs" of tribulation.

Mat 24:8
All these are the beginning of sorrows. (birth pangs)

There is one sign we are to expect from the words of Jesus....

Jesus said in Matthew 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Jesus and His apostles were admiring the Temple from the mount of Olives. So it seems from the text.

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

The mount of Olives is separate from the Temple Mount but very close by. As Jesus and his apostles viewed the Temple from the mount of Olives, the Western Wall was also visible to them when Jesus said, "There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. "

There are stones still standing there! There is "one stone upon another" as we speak.

I think even before the man of sin authenticates himself as the man of sin in the temple calling himself "god," the invasion of Israel and the falling of the Western Wall is the first sign. When the man of sin authenticates himself in the temple that's a sign FOR SURE.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
The fact is, we don't know when Christ will come again. It could happen five seconds after I post this message, or it could happen fifty thousand years from now. All we can do is stand vigil and live Christian lives, being ready for His return. And if we die before He comes, then we will repose in Him until He calls us out of our graves.

Christians who believe that Christ return is imminent are all pre-tribbers. The bible is clear that Christ returns AFTER the tribulation period. (Actually just before its end).

There are a ton of signs mentioned in the bible about the conditions we are to expect before His return, but we must endure tribulation FIRST and then Christ returns. But I would like you to see what I think about "the beginning" or "birth pangs" of tribulation.

Mat 24:8
All these are the beginning of sorrows. (birth pangs)

There is one sign we are to expect from the words of Jesus....

Jesus said in Matthew 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Jesus and His apostles were admiring the Temple from the mount of Olives. So it seems from the text.

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

The mount of Olives is separate from the Temple Mount but very close by. As Jesus and his apostles viewed the Temple from the mount of Olives, the Western Wall was also visible to them when Jesus said, "There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. "

There are stones still standing there! There is "one stone upon another" as we speak.

I think even before the man of sin authenticates himself as the man of sin in the temple calling himself "god," the invasion of Israel and the falling of the Western Wall is the first sign. When the man of sin authenticates himself in the temple that's a sign FOR SURE.

I've never heard of that interpretation. At first glance it seems much more representative of what's in the bible than the of Jesus' imminent return

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

:cross::bible:Well, what do you say? :help: :preach:

the only way to know when Christs return is imminent is to watch for the 'sign' that he gave.

When you see the sign occuring in detail, you should be convinced that Jesus is here and ruling....iow, he will have already arrived when the sign is seen.

The sign:
Matt 24:3 While he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence (Gr, Parousia) and of the conclusion of the system of things?” Note: parousia means presence...not 'coming' as many bibles wrongly translate the word.

False Christs
4 In answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads you, 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.

Wars, food shortages & earthquakes simulataneously occuring globally
6 You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another.

Persecution of christians
8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. 9 “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name. 10 Then, too, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and mislead many;

Decline in morals and behavior on the part of people generally
12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold. 13 But the one who has endured to the end will be saved.

Worldwide preaching of the kingdom Good news into all nations
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Is Christ present? I would say yes. Most definitely he's already here.

Last edited:

kaoticprofit

The fact is, we don't know when Christ will come again. It could happen five seconds after I post this message, or it could happen fifty thousand years from now. All we can do is stand vigil and live Christian lives, being ready for His return. And if we die before He comes, then we will repose in Him until He calls us out of our graves.

We don't know the day or hour but we do know "the season." Christ cannot return until a entire string of prophecies pass prophesied in the tribulation. (seals, trumpet, woe's, vials, three witnesses etc.)