• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Children Need Religion?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it crucial to raise children in a religion? If so, what are the benefits to the child of being raised in a religion? What, if any, are the disadvantages?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Is it crucial to raise children in a religion? If so, what are the benefits to the child of being raised in a religion? What, if any, are the disadvantages?
I think it's important to make children spiritually aware.

I was raised in a church, but the way I was taught was far too aggressive and ultimately turned me away from Christianity. Because of the agressive method employed by my instructors, I also did not understand spirituality or emotions properly. Children should be made aware that they have a spiritual side (AKA Artistic/Emotional/Creative side so a pointless argument does not ensue), but once they ARE aware of it, they should be left to pursue it where they will.

Ori

Angel slayer
I think it's better not to raise children with any one mindset, that way they can then decide what they want to believe.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I think it's best to raise children to be tolerant and moral (you don't need religion to know stealing and murder and hurting others is bad) people and letting them make up their minds later about religion when they are old enough to do so. Sure you can teach your children about your religion- but I don't believe in forcing them to follow their parent's religion and keeping them ignorant, or even worse, intolerant of other religions.

Fluffy

A fool
If you believe that a non-believer will go to hell then raising a child as a believer takes on a certain importance, yes.

I think that it is actually wrong to raise a child into a religion unless you believe the above. I feel that you should give your child examples of many different religions and atheism and let them make up their own mind as they grow older. Teach them general concepts such as "god" or "ethics" or "sin" etc.

ayani

some of the best memories i have as a kid were going to church with my dad. i think it's good for kids to have the chance to come to a place of worship, communion, and beauty. i know that without my early exposure to church and theism, i would not have developed alot of later traits as easily. like sensitivity, compassion, and interest in religion, ect. i think it's good for kids to share in their parents' faith- not just dragging the kid to a house of worship, but sitting down with them and talking about things. like hope, death, prayer, purpose. that is where real religious traning comes in, i think. with or without stained glass.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I don't think there is a set answer to that; one poster on this thread has fond memories of going to church with his father, whilst in another thread, one poster told us how being brought up in an 'indoctrination scenario' had made him/her suddenly wake up one day, and say, why am I following all this............

Jamaesi mentioned the positive element of bringing children up outside of a religious surrounding - that the child could thoroughly understand the benefits of forging a moral code for the sake of it's own merit, rather than by religious 'rote'.

I think it depends totally on the individual circumstances, but on the whole, I don't personally think it helpful to indoctrinate children..............let them find their own way.:)

linwood

Sunstone said:
You know what I think.

I think it`s important to make your child aware of what religion is and what it does to and for people.

Michel said:
Jamaesi mentioned the positive element of bringing children up outside of a religious surrounding - that the child could thoroughly understand the benefits of forging a moral code for the sake of it's own merit, rather than by religious 'rote'.
This is how bringing your child up without indoctrination is superior in my mind.
The very act of forging that moral code forces true introspection in understanding ones self.
You really have to learn/know who you are because there`s nobody to tell you.
:)
I think rote indoctrination destroy that.

Æsahættr

One disadvantage- it can be a lot of effort later on in life to come to terms with the idea of no life after death. That certainly applies to me, as someone who was religious younger due to going to a religious school, even though I had no religious upbringing at home. I am not going to try and claim that that applies to everyone, or even many people, I don't know if it does. However, that is a disadvantage that can exist.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Æsahættr said:
One disadvantage- it can be a lot of effort later on in life to come to terms with the idea of no life after death. That certainly applies to me, as someone who was religious younger due to going to a religious school, even though I had no religious upbringing at home. I am not going to try and claim that that applies to everyone, or even many people, I don't know if it does. However, that is a disadvantage that can exist.
- it can be a lot of effort later on in life to come to terms with the idea of no life after death
Maybe it's me being silly, but I don't understand the problem with that though; in many ways, I would be just as happy if I totally ceaced to exist at death.........why would it bother me ? - I wouldn't be there to have any disappointment ?

linwood

I would be just as happy if I totally ceaced to exist at death.........why would it bother me ? - I wouldn't be there to have any disappointment ?
Alot of converted atheists have a hard time with ceasing to exist thing.
Lets face it, it`s not the nicest of thoughts.

Æsahættr

michel said:
Maybe it's me being silly, but I don't understand the problem with that though; in many ways, I would be just as happy if I totally ceaced to exist at death.........why would it bother me ? - I wouldn't be there to have any disappointment ?
It's probably a silly problem. I can't actually proove that it wouldn't have bothered me if I'd never been exposed to religion but I'm fairly convinced it wouldn't have as much.

Fluffy

A fool
I think that the point is that you don't have to experience disappointment after the fact, you can experience it beforehand as well. I agree that a believer would either end up satisfied in heaven or not being able to care in non-existance but beforehand he would still be pretty hopeful despite the possibility his beliefs might turn out to be incorrect. The same goes for an atheist I suppose but vice versa.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fluffy said:
If you believe that a non-believer will go to hell then raising a child as a believer takes on a certain importance, yes.
I don't believe all non-believers will go to hell. But I still see it important to raise a moral child (whether I was theist or not). Being a theist adds something to the equation that is not submitted to by non-theist. And yes I think this is important.

Fluffy

A fool
I don't believe all non-believers will go to hell. But I still see it important to raise a moral child (whether I was theist or not). Being a theist adds something to the equation that is not submitted to by non-theist. And yes I think this is important.
Is it possible to be a non-Catholic and be a completely moral person in your view? Many Christians I have met view a good action or restraint from a bad action as hollow unless done in the name of God and therefore making it impossible for a non-believer to be a moral person. Therefore, meaning that the phrase "raising a moral child" is synonymous with "raising a child in my own faith".

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I agree with michel and Fluffy on most of this thread. When I die, if I go to heaven, cool, but if I just cease to exist, that's ok too. When I die, I don't want an elaborate funeral. Just but me in a pine box, I ain't going to be there one way or another. And as Fluffy said in his 1st post, ditto!

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fluffy said:

Is it possible to be a non-Catholic and be a completely moral person in your view?
Yes.

Fluffy said:
Many Christians I have met view a good action or restraint from a bad action as hollow unless done in the name of God and therefore making it impossible for a non-believer to be a moral person.
No offense to anybody but this has it's roots in Protestantism and doctrinal disagreements that was sparked by Martin Luther.

Fluffy said:
Therefore, meaning that the phrase "raising a moral child" is synonymous with "raising a child in my own faith".
You are correct. I see this often as well.

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
linwood said:
Alot of converted atheists have a hard time with ceasing to exist thing.
Lets face it, it`s not the nicest of thoughts.
Æsahættr said:
It's probably a silly problem. I can't actually prove that it wouldn't have bothered me if I'd never been exposed to religion but I'm fairly convinced it wouldn't have as much.
Strange, because, to me, if we ceased to exist completely (ie there is no soul), you wouldn't even be conscious of being dead........so presumably it is the thought of your life coming to and end that bothers you ?