• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Cats Dogs have heartbreaks?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I still want to know what "human emotions" are in the first place. Exactly where along the evolutionary chain did we suddenly pop up with these special things that all other animals somehow missed out on?

Perhaps contemplative wonder? ;)

I understand where you're coming from though. I find a universality between the intensity of when empathy is shown to me by my family, my friends, and my dog.

Does he speak words? No. But sometimes neither do the humans in my life for me to feel empathy being given to me.

Case in point, I go through my spells of grieving every now and then since my grandmother died. I'll sit down on the couch, and our dog has noticed if my sitting carries with it a certain heaviness, that I'm thinking of grandma and shed a tear or two. He usually jumps up onto the couch and sits next to me. But when I'm grieving, I've found him on more than one occasion jumping up, sniffing my face, licking my cheek, nudging my arm to rest on his back, and then he lies down next to me resting his chin on my leg. Every now and then, he sniffs the skin on my hand or sits up to sniff my face again, licks again, and nudges my arm again until it's resting on his back.

He doesn't do that unless I'm upset. It's comforting and sweet, and I feel companionship with him when he does sniff, nudge, lick, and cuddle. Even if we are two completely different species.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Thanks for laughs everyone. Now let's see some proof. Surely there must be at least one scientific study that proves your claim that animals have human emotions. Surely.

Humans are animals, so yeah. Also, animal emotion is easily observed. I assume that you're suggesting that non-human animals are akin to robots due to some kooky, spooky religious nonsense, such as only humans experience emotion because we have the spark of Jebus. That suggesting non-human animals experience emotion somehow makes humans less special on some magical, divine level. It's something like that, isn't it?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
'
I'm not the one who has made such an outlandish statement that dumb animals feel and react emotionally as a human does. Back up your premise with proof or maybe you should take your own advice.

Emotion and reason/intellect are two separate things. An important distinction to understand if one wishes to partake in this discussion.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I still want to know what "human emotions" are in the first place. Exactly where along the evolutionary chain did we suddenly pop up with these special things that all other animals somehow missed out on?

Exactly. I suspect that it ties into some hocus pocus notions.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Humans can feel emotions on a deeper level than other animals when coupled with abstract thoughts and complex contemplation, but to suggest that animals don't feel bonds, fear, anger, pride, shame, love, sadness, attachment, happiness, etc. is nonsense.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Humans can feel emotions on a deeper level than other animals when coupled with abstract thoughts and complex contemplation, but to suggest that animals don't feel bonds, fear, anger, love, sadness, attachment, happiness, etc. is nonsense.

LOL I see it every time I get home, and doggie is jumping up and down panting excitedly when I walk inside, wagging his tail, eyes bright, and sniffing all around me.

He also knows when I'm putting my workout shoes on and grabbing the leash that we're about ready to leave for our walk to the park. He barks, pants, wags his tail at a million miles an hour, and runs around himself in a tiny circle at least 50 times.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Humans can feel emotions on a deeper level than other animals when coupled with abstract thoughts and complex contemplation, but to suggest that animals don't feel bonds, fear, anger, love, sadness, attachment, happiness, etc. is nonsense.
Oh, maybe we should just forget it FH, we're all just delusional morons to him anyway. :areyoucra
Probably the same type of moron that believes an animal can have a broken heart.
In my opinion the idea that animals have and express human emotions is ludicrous. I also feel that anyone who believes this fallacy is, at best, delusional.

Draka

Wonder Woman
LOL I see it every time I get home, and doggie is jumping up and down panting excitedly when I walk inside, wagging his tail, eyes bright, and sniffing all around me.

He also knows when I'm putting my workout shoes on and grabbing the leash that we're about ready to leave for our walk to the park. He barks, pants, wags his tail at a million miles an hour, and runs around himself in a tiny circle at least 50 times.

But, but, that would be an indicator of joy...joy would be an emotion...and "dumb animals" don't have them there complicated special human-only things. Why, we're blessed and all with those things. :areyoucra

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And those who are quick to dismiss the suffering of animals usually have their hands dirty with it. Something to think about.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It's quite clear that providing any evidence isn't going to sway him, he won't accept it. It is imperative for him to hold the view he does for the view he has puts humans on a pedestal above other animals (and let's face it, he doesn't really view us as animals at all anyway). It's a religious necessity for him. He already tipped his hat earlier. He needs animals to be lacking in emotions, to be less than us, so that we are greater. He also seems to think that having emotions is some burden for us to trial through for god or something.

For the sake of argument let's say that animals can feel and display the emotion of love, what about the other emotions? Shouldn't they feel anger, hate, lust, envy, greed, sloth? If this is so can they be held legally responsible for their actions? Can their souls be saved? Animals are blessed with innocence, why in the world would you want to lay such a heavy burden as emotions on their existence.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've spent an entire day with a bunch of pigs on a farm. I've found them to have an uncanny and remarkable range of personality. They're not only extremely playful and intelligent, but can be super impatient when they recognize the feeder truck is coming but their troughs aren't filled in an allotted time for them. They display facial expressions, too. For real.

I've played hide-and-seek with them before. But it usually involved them nibbling on my boot after I've found them rather than them running away. When we say "squeal with delight", I bet you anything that it partially comes from the excitement that a pig communicates. With dogs being another animal that effectively and consistently shows joy and excitement, I've found pigs to be great communicators of joy, fun, and pure contentment.

I'd say of all the animals I've worked with or have spent a considerable time around, pigs are by far the most outspoken. :yes:

Also, when it comes time to load them onto the back of the truck to move them off an entire pasture or woodland, if they're fearful of getting on or if they're wishing to stay at their location, they are the most difficult animal to convince to walk up the ramp. :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's quite clear that providing any evidence isn't going to sway him, he won't accept it. It is imperative for him to hold the view he does for the view he has puts humans on a pedestal above other animals (and let's face it, he doesn't really view us as animals at all anyway). It's a religious necessity for him. He already tipped his hat earlier. He needs animals to be lacking in emotions, to be less than us, so that we are greater. He also seems to think that having emotions is some burden for us to trial through for god or something.

Well, we do possess the ability to reason and understand abstract concepts. We're the only species that's developed advanced technologies and built complex civilizations. Isn't that enough? Why not deny that other primates have opposable thumbs while he's at it?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Nice try. However, nowhere in this article does it say "Yep, animals have human emotions". There is of course a lot of "maybe's", and "we feel's", and "if you squint your eyes up this behavior might almost nearly be close to human emotion", but no one signs on to a real conclusion. Just try to find a credible scientific study that concludes animals have and exhibit human emotions. My money is on none exists.

Oh, too bad. I thought you actually did want an adult conversation. Because if you did, you would have seen all of the scientific articles mentioned and linked on that page.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Holy Crap. This article perfectly describes what's going on here:
Which emotions do dogs actually experience?

Church scholars insisted that people have souls, and the evidence they gave for this was the fact that humans have consciousness and feelings; animals might have the same mechanical systems, they argued, but they did not have a divine spark and, therefore, did not have the ability to experience “true” feelings.

Since much of the science of the time was sponsored by church-related schools and universities, it is not surprising to find that the researchers would not assert the existence of higher levels of mental functioning such as emotions in animals. To do so might have caused the church authorities to feel that the scientists were suggesting that an animal such as a dog might have a soul and consciousness, and flying in the face of church doctrine could lead to a lot of problems.

Then reason comes to the rescue!

Science has clearly progressed a long, long way beyond the thinking of Descartes and Malebranche. We have now come to understand that dogs possess all of the same brain structures that produce emotions in humans. Dogs have the same hormones and undergo the same chemical changes that humans do during emotional states. Dogs even have the hormone oxytocin, which, in humans, is involved with feeling love and affection for others. With the same neurology and chemistry that people have, it seems reasonable to suggest that dogs also have emotions that are similar to ours. However, it is important to not go overboard and immediately assume that the emotional ranges of dogs and humans are the same.

Lookee this!
Researchers have now come to believe that the mind of a dog is roughly equivalent to that of a human who is two to two-and-a-half years old. This conclusion holds for most mental abilities as well as emotions.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I was hoping for better from you, but alas. If you noticed in my post concerning my personal opinion about "morons", I mentioned no names. I called out no person. I pointed no finger. I simply voiced an opinion. If you or anyone else thinks they fit that profile, then that's on you. In my opinion the idea that animals have and express human emotions is ludicrous. I also feel that anyone who believes this fallacy is, at best, delusional. For the sake of argument let's say that animals can feel and display the emotion of love, what about the other emotions? Shouldn't they feel anger, hate, lust, envy, greed, sloth? If this is so can they be held legally responsible for their actions? Can their souls be saved? Animals are blessed with innocence, why in the world would you want to lay such a heavy burden as emotions on their existence. I think most people that believe animals love them are just trying to fill some deep seated void in their own lives. Again, before you sic your dog on me, this is only my humble opinion.

Of course they feel anger lust sloth :areyoucra have you ever seen a house pet?

My dog is the incarnation of sloth. Of course they can feel envy! Havent you seen animals trying to be pated as they see peoe hugging each other? My dog does that. He gets jelous.

About responsible, no, they are around as responsible for their actions as a toddler, which of course doesnt mean a toddler doesnt experience emotions but that it doesnt have the ability to properly process consecuences and see e gravity of many situations.