• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do animals have free will?

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
In another forum, someone said that animals do not have free will, and this is one of the key differences between people and animals.How do you determine that animals do not have free will? Is it because they are not as smart as us? Perhaps if our time was completely taken up with searching for food, mates and avoiding being killed, we would appear to not have free will eather.The person who said animals have no free will also believes the Bible is to be taken litterally.So I wonder, did the serpent not decide to tempt Eve in the Garden?

Inky

Hmm...what is free will? Is it the ability to choose between a number of actions, and have the choice mean something significant? In that case I would say you have free will if you are able to predict the outcome of various possible actions, weigh your options, and make a decision based on that. Many animals have that.

JayHawes

Do animals have free will?

Well, to asnwer this question we must consider the fact that dogs freely choose to attack human beings....that should answer your question.;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't believe they do. Thier instincts are heavily seated in there bio-mechanical make up. That isn't the case for humans.

I think animals have free will there are plenty of examples of animals helping people, like when dolphins hold sharks at bay when swimmers are around or animals helping care for the young of a different species when they are abandoned. Animals are amazing and wonderful and I believe they no way more than we think, they have free will or else why would my dog cheer me up when I am sad or growl to defend me when a stranger comes too close? He changes and acts of his own free will I believe, he has dislikes and likes and makes many choices.

JayHawes

If free-will is defined as the choice to act a certain way, yes animals have free will. If they didn't we wouldn't be able to train animals for the roadshow circus.

Popeyesays

Animals have instinct, not rational thought. Rational thought is the basis of free will.

Regards,
Scott

kadzbiz

Do animals have free will? Well, to asnwer this question we must consider the fact that dogs freely choose to attack human beings....that should answer your question.

If free-will is defined as the choice to act a certain way, yes animals have free will. If they didn't we wouldn't be able to train animals for the roadshow circus.

I think that if a creature does something without reason, then it has no free will. If one has reason to do anything, then one is making a choice, exercising free will. If we had no free will, we'd be walking around like zombie robots.

Inky

Animals have instinct, not rational thought. Rational thought is the basis of free will.

Any evidence there? I've done some research in consciousness and intelligence related to the brain, body chemistry, and various mental disorders. Not an expert but better-read than most. I haven't seen any evidence that our thought processes are significantly different than those of a mammal such as a wolf or bear, in ways that relate to consciousness. They are about as "instinctive" as we are. The main unique point of the human brain is our use of symbols, because of the social reliance on language, but symbols are not rationality.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
No, animals do not have free will. Free will requires a knowledge of good and evil. It requires choice based on an understanding of what God wants and a conscious decision concerning whether to obey or disobey.

kadzbiz

No, animals do not have free will. Free will requires a knowledge of good and evil. It requires choice based on an understanding of what God wants and a conscious decision concerning whether to obey or disobey.

Rubbish. As soon as you can make a choice, you can exercise free will. It doesn't have to be a good or evil decision, for a dog it might be simply, "do I join my master for a walk today or not."

Also, by your definition, people who don't know of God wouldn't have free will.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Higher animals "think". They have rational thoughts, a concept of logic, and an ability to communicate beyond their species.

Anyone who has ever owned a primate knows this. Parrots too.

Freewill is an and/or process. It requires no god or religion to operate.

Freewill is the ability to weigh evidence and make a decision.

x

Popeyesays

Higher animals "think". They have rational thoughts, a concept of logic, and an ability to communicate beyond their species.

Anyone who has ever owned a primate knows this. Parrots too.

Freewill is an and/or process. It requires no god or religion to operate.

Freewill is the ability to weigh evidence and make a decision.

x

Exactly. When the line is crossed to subdue instinct to reason, then in my book you have human, how ever many legs or fins the species might have.

As to dolphins, primates, and parrots--the jury is out. Intelligence in another species is going to be hard to calculate by human standards.

Regards,
Scott

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
I was a monkey's uncle for several years. A stump tailed macque named Bam Bam.

If I shorted her on carrot sticks, she let me know pretty quick that my count was off. You could also see her sit and reason things out. Quite fascinating to watch.

x

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Rubbish? :sad: I'm devastated. You called my opinion "rubbish"?

As soon as you can make a choice, you can exercise free will. It doesn't have to be a good or evil decision, for a dog it might be simply, "do I join my master for a walk today or not."
I was speaking of free will in a theological sense. Yes, my dogs definitely do have free will in the way you're using the term, but I was thinking along a different line entirely.

Also, by your definition, people who don't know of God wouldn't have free will.
All people are born with a conscience. They are not all born with a knowledge of God, but are held accountable for their actions to the degree that they do understand right and wrong.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Rubbish. As soon as you can make a choice, you can exercise free will. It doesn't have to be a good or evil decision, for a dog it might be simply, "do I join my master for a walk today or not."

Or something simpler still, like when a cat decides to move from sleeping on the couch to go sleep on the bed.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
In another forum, someone said that animals do not have free will, and this is one of the key differences between people and animals.How do you determine that animals do not have free will? Is it because they are not as smart as us? Perhaps if our time was completely taken up with searching for food, mates and avoiding being killed, we would appear to not have free will eather.The person who said animals have no free will also believes the Bible is to be taken litterally.So I wonder, did the serpent not decide to tempt Eve in the Garden?

Well, I choose to consider my dogs relationship with me similar to mine and God's. I sin against God, but I can choose not to. My dogs disobey me, but I know they can choose not to also. I've seen them choose to do right, and I've seen them choose to do wrong. So, to answer your question from my point of view, I think they do have some sort of free will.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer

Some pets, particularly dogs, know when they are doing something that would make their owner angry. But if they think they can get away with it, they'll do it anyway.
Not exactly good and evil, but it is obedience and disobedience.

love

tri-polar optimist
Sometimes I think we give ourselves too much credit. We are in the body of an animal. I believe some animals know the difference between good and bad and can choose to do either. The will of most species is to protect their own. The ability to show compassion and extend love outside the family is not confined to two legs.