• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all Pagans believe in literal deities?

Naya

Somnio, ergo existo.
Define "real."

Is a thought a real thing? Is an idea a real thing?

If it is, then a thing made of thoughts and ideas is a real thing.

I say yes to this, and in this sense, they are very real.

Does a thing need to be made of atoms and molecules to be "real?"

I say no. I once laughed my *** off at this girl who claimed that the Gods have DNA (and that genetic mutation due to inbreeding was responsible for Hephaestus' lame leg. I wonder what she would have to say about the DNA of the Egyptian animal-headed gods.)

Today, we see just how "real" Santa Claus is. Retailers know just how real Santa is on Black Friday. Santa is responsible for getting their businesses into the black (making a profit) on that day.

Santa is a thing made of ideas. This thing made of ideas is helpful to parents year round, because every time they tell their child, "Behave or Santa won't bring you anything," they evoke Santa's power over children. So long as the child believes in Santa, and so long as someone is out there doing Santa's work to pay up at this time of year, then Santa continues to be a powerful spirit.

However, when you bargain with gods and spirits, you have to pay them back - and Santa's payback comes at this time. So, everyone has to go out and buy gifts for their good children (and hopefully not buy gifts for bratty ones) in order to keep Santa being powerful. After all, if a parent tells a child to behave because Santa only brings gifts to good boys and girls, and then Santa doesn't deliver, then the child won't bother behaving the next time the parent tries to call upon Santa to make the kid listen.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I do.
But then also my view on what the gods are are not one that many people also believe.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My views on “god” are a little different then most. I believe that what humanity has been calling “god” for so long is really an impersonal energy, not a deity. I believe this energy flows through all things in the universe, and is the energy that one calls upon during rituals, and other things that have been deemed metaphysical or supernatural. It is the basic energy that holds the entire universe together; it is not good, and it is not evil… It is a force of nature that we have yet to understand. This energy is what gives us our consciousness and self awareness, and it is what departs us when we pass away. This departure of the energy after death is what has been seen as Chi, Prana, and the Soul, among other things. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed, this energy leaves us at death and is returned to nature (Nature being the universe, the stars, planets etc. as well as what is here on earth). It is what I believe gives Buddhism and other faiths the impression of a cycle of death and reincarnation. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed it has to be used again, right? I believe that the closest we ever come to “god” is in nature, away from modern society, because this is where the strongest concentration of this energy is. It is why so many Pagan/New Age religions follow a path structured around nature worship. I also believe that supernatural sightings (i.e. Ghosts), are also just strong localized manifistations of said energy.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I believe in literal Deities. I love Some and I am in love with One. ;) If They were not real I would be wasting a heck of a lot of offerings during rituals.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I believe in literal Deities. I love Some and I am in love with One. ;) If They were not real I would be wasting a heck of a lot of offerings during rituals.
I agree with you friend, and I also agree with the post above, in different ways.
When it comes to a creative force, a life force of the Universe. A Creature 'God' if you will it is the Universe, somewhat if a Pantheist there(though I think Animism fits in with it). And when it comes to Deities I am a (hard) Polytheist, I believe all 'gods' and 'goddess' exist. I see them has being some of the first beings to have ever of been brought into existent.

Noaidi

slow walker
I go down the route of deities being archetypes or representatives of aspects of ourselves and of Nature.

I’m going to throw a spanner in the works here. Why do some of you literally believe in deities if no evidence of their existence is available? If they were real, then they would be accessible to everyone. This is the main problem I have with theistic religions – if all gods and goddesses were real, their existence would be verifiable to everyone.

As you may have guessed, I take a very naturalistic (as opposed to supernaturalistic) view of the world. Some may read my question and think ‘here we go – another atheist demanding evidence’, but it is a genuine question. I’m not here to wind anyone up!

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Why do some of you literally believe in deities if no evidence of their existence is available?
Personally experience. But other then that I'm not sure what you expect to here friend. And yes I know for the most part that is not considered a good enough reason.

If they were real, then they would be accessible to everyone. This is the main problem I have with theistic religions – if all gods and goddesses were real, their existence would be verifiable to everyone.
They are accessible to everyone. It just might be that most people ether don't care or want anything to do with them. They're not going to force themselve on people that
don't want them to. Beside if you just take them as Archetypes then they are always available to you.

As you may have guessed, I take a very naturalistic (as opposed to supernaturalistic) view of the world. Some may read my question and think ‘here we go – another atheist demanding evidence’, but it is a genuine question. I’m not here to wind anyone up!
^_^ Nay, I didn't get any type of 'here we go' from your post ^_^

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I’m going to throw a spanner in the works here. Why do some of you literally believe in deities if no evidence of their existence is available? If they were real, then they would be accessible to everyone. This is the main problem I have with theistic religions – if all gods and goddesses were real, their existence would be verifiable to everyone.

Perhaps, but I don't get hung up on evidence as much as some other people do in terms of religion. I am a scientist, but I also know that we probably wouldn't know evidence from or of the gods if it were staring us in the face. Religion is a completely subject experience, and that is the evidence that I look for.

Erebus

I go down the route of deities being archetypes or representatives of aspects of ourselves and of Nature.

For me, it was difficult to accept the existence of my deities at first as after losing faith in Christianity I became a hardcore atheist. After some experimentation in more appealing religions (I guess in a way I was like you, an atheist pagan) I started experiencing odd things. Magic started to work well for me and various deities intervened in my life and dreams.
Now I'm the first to admit I have no solid, testable evidence of my deities, but after years of being influenced in various ways by them, it's difficult to write it all off as coincidence or wishful thinking.

Noaidi

slow walker
They are accessible to everyone. It just might be that most people ether don't care or want anything to do with them. They're not going to force themselve on people that don't want them to. Beside if you just take them as Archetypes then they are always available to you.

Okay, I agree about the archetypes always being available, because they are in your head and personify your experiences, but if I am open to real deities, what's stopping them from making themselves known to me?
This is why I describe myself as an atheist. I'm open to the possibility of deities - I just haven't encountered them (or if I have, how would I know?)

Noaidi

slow walker
Perhaps, but I don't get hung up on evidence as much as some other people do in terms of religion. I am a scientist, but I also know that we probably wouldn't know evidence from or of the gods if it were staring us in the face. Religion is a completely subject experience, and that is the evidence that I look for.

I like your answer, Gentoo. Perhaps I'm just adopting too much of an empirical approach to what is ultimately subjective.

Noaidi

slow walker
Thanks to all above who responded to my question. As I've just said to Gentoo, perhaps I'm looking "too hard" or from the wrong angle.

I agree with you, I feel the same. Before I was a witch I tried to believe in God, then once turning Pagan I found I STILL couldn't believe in a deity. I tried to but always failed to feel any presence. Although, one deity who I always felt attracted to was the Green Man. But as I am more animistic, I kinda see him as being the spirit of the forest and the trees and plants, rather than a god.

Noaidi

slow walker
Although, one deity who I always felt attracted to was the Green Man. But as I am more animistic, I kinda see him as being the spirit of the forest and the trees and plants, rather than a god.

Interesting. I also am drawn to the Green Man and see him as a powerful symbol of Nature. I have a clay plaque of him on my front door, and all the local kids think it's the devil!

Noaidi

slow walker
noaidi-albums-where-i-live-picture2099-green-man-duine-uaine.jpg

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
People are often afraid of things they don't understand, I imagine it's the same in that case.