• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Djust ask Dreadfish

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Do you check vital signs before pecking out a dead man's (or woman's) eyes?
Which wine do you prefer on such occasions?

I like to make sure they're dead first; I prefer non-violent meals. Pecking a live person's eyes just kills my appetite, what with the screaming and trying to smack and/or kill me thing.

I think a good Merlot helps to balance out the rotting-flesh nuance that carrion tends to have :shrug:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
What does dharma mean to you?

Dharma is a nice, neutral sounding word which is similar to tao, to me. Someone else actually asked me a similar question and there is a reply on the first page of this thread. I think you will find your answer there.

That sounds like Zen, so why does your profile say your religion is Dharma? It sounds like a contradiction to me.

[witty quip][/witty quip]

Zen is a practice of the way things are, and the dharma is the way things are, like tao. I could easily switch out Dharma for Tao as my religion, and actually i'd been wanting to do it these past couple of days :D And, traditionally speaking, ch'an (from which the Japanese zen comes), is influenced by both Taoism and Buddhism and regularly uses the term "the way", tao.

From said post, which is on the first page:

Life, especially in the context of Dhamma, is a matter of nature (dhamma-jati). This Pali word dhamma-jati may not corres*pond to the English "nature" exactly, but they are close enough. Take it to mean something which exists within itself, by itself, of itself, and as its own law. This sense of nature is not opposed to man as some Westerners would have it, but encompasses man and all that he experiences. We must understand the secret of the nature of life, which is to understand Dhamma.

Zen, is simply the way things are, naturally, without the conditioned perceptions of the mind which we take to be the way things are.

To recognize that, we practice staying at the center and letting things go their own way, without identifying until the dust settles. Like my signature quote and this, from the Hua Hu Ching, 10:

The ego is a monkey catapulting through the jungle: Totally fascinated by the realm of the senses, it swings from one desire to the next, one conflict to the next, one self-centered idea to the next. If you threaten it, it actually fears for its life. Let this monkey go. Let the senses go. Let desires go. Let conflicts go. Let ideas go. Let the fiction of life and death go. Just remain in the center, watching. And then forget that you are there.

So, to simply answer both questions, I choose dharma/tao as my religious identifier because they have a free, natural connotation without all that complicated frameworks that accompany having a religious identity.

It's just the way things are.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend DreadFish,

It sounds like your fingers clapping down on your palm; a kinda wimpy and lackluster clap. Sounds a bit like fapping.
A zen master would have hit you with his stick for such a reply.
Well, am sure you know it is a zen 'koan' and one is not supposed to give any reply as there is none cause it is the sound of silence or the anahat naad [chk the post on the subject] http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/161247-anahata-naad.html
Only those who hear it knows and at best he may smile to such a question or a shout!

Love & rgds

John Doe

Friend DreadFish,

And then maybe Dreadfish would drop him with one punch !

What would a zen master do then, do you think ?

(That question is for both yourself (even if there isn't one) and Dreadfish)

((:)D)))

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend John Doe,

It is for the zen master to respond, not me.
besides guess it should be just between two individuals in a zen monastery i.e. master and disciple and others have no role to even ask silly questions without getting the master's whack!

Love & rgds

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Friend DreadFish,

Well, am sure you know it is a zen 'koan' and one is not supposed to give any reply as there is none cause it is the sound of silence or the anahat naad [chk the post on the subject] http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/161247-anahata-naad.html
Only those who hear it knows and at best he may smile to such a question or a shout!

Love & rgds

Yes, I knew. That's why I made a humorous reply :D

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

(That question is for both yourself (even if there isn't one) and Dreadfish)

((:)D)))

Hmm, I'd punch the zen master if he existed ;)