• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diwali

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Namaste friends. Diwali is coming up in a day or two. What will you do to celebrate? What are some customs you have? I am going to try to celebrate it this year to the best of my ability.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We're going to decorate with string lights the first day(it would not be safe to light diyas around the house, as there are unruly children, 10 cats, and 3 dogs). Maybe go on an out of town trip to purchase a few goods for the week. Going to go to the temple the second day. The third, the plans are to do a home puja, and have a friend over for dinner and fireworks. The 4th the kids and I will make a mountain of goodies for Krishna, and the last we may drop off some cards to family.

I wonder if things will go as planned...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste friends. Diwali is coming up in a day or two. What will you do to celebrate? What are some customs you have? I am going to try to celebrate it this year to the best of my ability.
A thorough spring cleaning of the house. Decorations, devotional prayers and lots of yummy sweets. I also have my own little tradition of watching the old serialised Krishna TV show. That show was my childhood, even if I didn’t understand like 90% of the dialogue lol. The nostalgia is strong

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Happy Diwali to all!

Since Lakshmi is said to reside in Sesame oil, I will wake up before sunrise and apply a tiny bit of sesame oil to the hair and then will take a purificatory bath. Then I will wear new clothes. If time permits, will visit temple.

That sounds great! I bet I can find some sesame oil at my grocery store or at the holistic shop.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Happy Diwali to all!

Since Lakshmi is said to reside in Sesame oil, I will wake up before sunrise and apply a tiny bit of sesame oil to the hair and then will take a purificatory bath. Then I will wear new clothes. If time permits, will visit temple.

Thanks for sharing that bit of information about sesame oil. I have a bottle of virgin sesame oil, forunately. :)

The first day of Diwali in my location begins in less than five hours. In the morning, I will do some cleaning and set up a new candle. This will be my first Diwali.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We will have five-day Diwali festivities from this Wednesday to Saturday. Dhan Teras (lit. Money Thirteenth - the auspicious day to buy new things, especially utensils and house-hold items, even if it is just a set of spoons, or gold if one has money), Lesser Diwali, Diwali, Govardhan Puja (ritual feeding of animals, Kak Diwali and Kukur Diwali in Nepal for crows and dogs) and Bhai Dooj (a festival for brothers and sisters). This year, crackers have been banned in many places for the reason of pollution to the atmosphere.

Dhan Teras, Diwali, Govardhan, Bhai Dooj.
2596_dhan_4060.jpg
1508307382-8457.jpg

Diwali-puja-lucky-colour-Main.jpg
Delhi-bans-sale-use-storage-of-firecrackers-this-Diwali.jpg
cow-worship-day-in-nepal-kathmandu-shutterstock-editorial-11016693c.jpg
bhai-dooj_1508227190.jpeg

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

The last time i celebrated diwali was 7 years ago. Lit some crackers and decorated the house with lights. It was fun. Not sure if its going to happen again in my life. :(

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Enjoy the occasion with your Hindu friends (if there are any around your place).

I wish I had some! There is a temple about 2 hours from me, I always think, "wouldn't it be fun to go there and make friends?" haha.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I quite understand. Check what you can get from Youtube, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc. Last year (2020), Google had live Diwali videos from Hindustan Times, Wion and WildFilmsIndia.

Note: 5 lakhs is five hundred thousand. And the dark strip in the middle in this video is River Sarayu in Ayodhya, Lord Rama's city.
This is an interesting video.
This may perhaps be an even more interesting video (I am going to my daughter's place. My grand daughter has come for the first time after her marriage last month. I have not seen these videos :D).

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As usual I probably won’t do much, or anything, though Gods know I owe Maa Lakshmi a great deal, along with deep gratitude to Maa Saraswati and Sri Ganesha.

I’m thinking of making a small altar with their statues or pictures in the living room, with groupings of tea light candles, incense, maybe some sweet offerings. I‘ll probably light tea candles and some diyas all over the house. They burn for about 3-4 hours.

I put so many around that I still find the little metal cups days later. :D I can do at least that. Maybe I’ll make kheer. I have gram flour, butter, sugar, mixed dried fruits and nuts. I could try my hand at laddoos. I don’t know about going to temple though.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
As usual I probably won’t do much, or anything, though Gods know I owe Maa Lakshmi a great deal, along with deep gratitude to Maa Saraswati and Sri Ganesha.

I’m thinking of making a small altar with their statues or pictures in the living room, with groupings of tea light candles, incense, maybe some sweet offerings. I‘ll probably light tea candles and some diyas all over the house. They burn for about 3-4 hours.

I put so many around that I still find the little metal cups days later. :D I can do at least that. Maybe I’ll make kheer. I have gram flour, butter, sugar, mixed dried fruits and nuts. I could try my hand at laddoos. I don’t know about going to temple though.

I can't light lamps, my kitten will try to knock it over. But I have a room I want to turn into a Puja room at some point, no pets allowed!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't light lamps, my kitten will try to knock it over. But I have a room I want to turn into a Puja room at some point, no pets allowed!

Cats totally drink out of those lamps if given the opportunity.

We don't allow cats in our puja room for that(and other) reasons.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Shubha DeepAvalI to all
May any darkness (timirAndhakAra, adnyAnandhakAr) be dispelled
May the light of all lights (jyotishAm jyoti - BG 13 description of Bramh') be let in
divajyot.jpg

Please have some rava ladoos and chivDA.
ladoochivda-prasad.jpg

Sorry these are the only 2 home-made items that fall in the category of traditional DeepAvali snacks (pharAL). There is some Chakli from the store if you would like some. Enjoy.