• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diwali

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I’ve read in the Wikipedia article about Diwali that some Hindus observe Yama Dīpaṃ on the second day. Do any of you know where in India or another country with a large Hindu population that this is the custom? Just to be different, I observed the YamaDīpaṃ on this second day of Diwali. Soon, the third day begins and I will worship Śrī. Whenever I become affiliated with a community, I will probably just do whatever they do.
Did not know that. Our community does not have this, though we observe DhanTeras. It seems to be a South Indian tradition (that is why 'deepam').
We do know of Naraka Chaturdashi, but our community does not observe it. Perhaps because our community is basically Shaiva (Kashmiri Brahmins). We do light the first deeyas (deepa, earthen lamp) on 'chhoti diwali' and yes, one deeya is kept at the back entrance of the house (if there is any) or otherwise in the bathroom.

BTW, Ayodhya set a world record of lighting 12 hundred thousand earthen lamps (1.2 million) at one time during this Diwali (correctly, Deepawali, line of lamps) on both banks of River Sarayu.

Deeya record at ayodhya - Google Search

Deepotsav-2018-15-.jpg

11bccl_5fafbabe4dfe8.jpg

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have also perceived the difference in the energy of a room after it has been cleaned. It's amazing.

I am not able to get the entire house spotless for Diwali, but now that the home construction is wrapping up, I have started the process of going through everything. No more cleaning just to make it look nice. I am going through every last nook and cranny and throwing junk away. My husband has some minor hoarding tendencies, and I am finding a place for everything, whether its in the home, or in the trash. No more floating items, or papers tucked in between books.

Hey JustGeorge! Pradakshina 108 times! That is a bit too much. We do it here just once, and probably the most devout will do it three times, but certainly not 108 times. Keep ready, you are going to recive a prize from the Lord.

I did get a prize! An amazing prize! A quiet two hour ride home(the kids were with a friend), and an apple to enjoy on the way. What more could a person want?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This was my little Diwali display. It lasted for about 10 minutes until something set me off to ruin the spirit, at which time I extinguished the lights, all the lights in the house, and dismantled it. I felt like a phony because it was so small and pitiful. :( Maybe there will be next year.

7E228D3E-DC66-4CC9-AB0B-B198B64D7EDF.jpeg

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Will depend on whether a North Indian is listening to you or a South Indian? Bengalis will probably pronounce it as "Tot twom Oshi". They generally speak with a rounded mouth. Variety is the life of India. :D

Heh. I didn't know that about Bengalis. :)

Speaking of variety being the life of India, it is apparent to me that this has always been the case. It used to be a land of many kingdoms. Now, it is a land of many states. Never 'one this' or 'one that' like some people might dream of.

I found a bag of rotten fruits nearby which I forgot to dispose of. After getting rid of it, I found that I could meditate better and easily now.

Theoretically speaking, Tamas is associated with that which is rotten, dirty and stale, and this is considered to prevent sattva necessary for devotion or meditation or auspicious activities.

I am glad you mentioned this. It is helpful and makes me want to be more vigilant about tamasic things in the home and anything else concerning myself.

Diwali is one of the most spiritually potent days.

As I observe this year's Diwali as my first one, I must say that it is certainly potent. The third day, Lakṣmī Pūjā, was one where I really felt the auspicious energy in the morning as I worshiped Śrī.

It seems to be a South Indian tradition (that is why 'deepam').

That is informative. Thanks. :)

BTW, Ayodhya set a world record of lighting 12 hundred thousand earthen lamps (1.2 million) at one time during this Diwali (correctly, Deepawali, line of lamps) on both banks of River Sarayu.

Wow. That is impressive. It is as if the foot of Visnu was on Ayodhya. :)

I have started the process of going through everything. No more cleaning just to make it look nice. I am going through every last nook and cranny and throwing junk away. My husband has some minor hoarding tendencies, and I am finding a place for everything, whether its in the home, or in the trash. No more floating items, or papers tucked in between books.

This is motivative! Thanks for sharing!

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
This was my little Diwali display. It lasted for about 10 minutes until something set me off to ruin the spirit, at which time I extinguished the lights, all the lights in the house, and dismantled it. I felt like a phony because it was so small and pitiful. :( Maybe there will be next year.

View attachment 57293

I feel that they were pleased with your display! If there is anything that was pitiful, it was my 'display.' An iPad mini with a digital picture of Lakṣmī, a tealight candle, a banana, and listening to a bhajan on YouTube was all I had. Even then, I offered her my worship to the point of almost getting tears. May she look upon you with her gracious countenance. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel that they were pleased with your display! If there is anything that was pitiful, it was my 'display.' An iPad mini with a digital picture of Lakṣmī, a tealight candle, a banana, and listening to a bhajan on YouTube was all I had. Even then, I offered her my worship to the point of almost getting tears. May she look upon you with her gracious countenance. :)

Thanks, and Her graces on you too. I always believe little tiny efforts are appreciated. I think the problem is that I let negative feelings, negative energy overshadow it. The bhava was gone. :(

It’s compounded by the fact that I was psyched about doing this, especially because I believe She sent some things my way today... food and more work. The guy I’m working for loaded me up with food from their chest freezer. He said they had more than enough, he didn’t want to transport it (I’m helping them move), and he knows I’m on a “tight budget” (ie, have no job).

So now that my meltdown is passing (I thought for years these are bipolar mood swings, they’re not... they’re autistic meltdowns and I ****ing hate them) the regret of dismantling it is setting in. Maybe I’ll put it back and ask Her forgiveness. I’m already tearing up.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Thanks, and Her graces on you too. I always believe little tiny efforts are appreciated. I think the problem is that I let negative feelings, negative energy overshadow it. The bhava was gone. :(

It’s compounded by the fact that I was psyched about doing this, especially because I believe She sent some things my way today... food and more work. The guy I’m working for loaded me up with food from their chest freezer. He said they had more than enough, he didn’t want to transport it (I’m helping them move), and he knows I’m on a “tight budget” (ie, have no job).

So now that my meltdown is passing (I thought for years these are bipolar mood swings, they’re not... they’re autistic meltdowns and I ****ing hate them) the regret of dismantling it is setting in. Maybe I’ll put it back and ask Her forgiveness. I’m already tearing up.

I am sure She will understand. <3

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I feel that it will be okay. She is, after all, Devī. :sparklingheart:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel that it will be okay. She is, after all, Devī. :sparklingheart:

So yeah, I set it up again and relit all the tea lights and diyas. I opened the shrine curtain too and lit its kuthuvilakku. :). It’s almost exactly like this, about 9” tall. I only light it during puja or if I have the shrine open, like tonight.

upload_2021-11-4_20-27-2.jpeg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not to worry, It’s not the easiest to pronounce. Western languages don’t have most of the sounds Sanskrit has.

I was sort of jesting. In all seriousness, I really don't know how off my Sanskrit is. I've been complimented, and corrected. There is debate as to quality throughout India, and there's regional dialect. Most figure the 'correct' way is the way they heard it in their region. What I meant to say is that I'm no judge. There are a lot of factors, like clarity and cadence.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
So yeah, I set it up again and relit all the tea lights and diyas. I opened the shrine curtain too and lit its kuthuvilakku. :). It’s almost exactly like this, about 9” tall. I only light it during puja or if I have the shrine open, like tonight.

Very nice!

Worse. My friends laugh.

You should hear me try to pronounce Mandarin words and names. I do it slowly because of the pitches, which I am not used to. In my experience, Sanskrit sounds are so easy when one understands how the tongue is to be positioned for each letter.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was sort of jesting. In all seriousness, I really don't know how off my Sanskrit is. I've been complimented, and corrected. There is debate as to quality throughout India, and there's regional dialect. Most figure the 'correct' way is the way they heard it in their region. What I meant to say is that I'm no judge. There are a lot of factors, like clarity and cadence.

Yes, that’s all true. I’ve had heated Internet discussions with people who pontificated on “proper” and “perfect” pronunciation being required or else mantras and hymns are almost useless. I disagreed with that for two reasons:

1. Everyone speaks with their own accent, personal and regional as you mentioned; everyone has certain quirks, even to the point of impediments. The mantras of a priest with a lisp (not necessarily the “th” sound, you probably know there are four types) are useless? Nonsense... IMO.

2. The person I was arguing with was just putting on airs. :D

Another quirk of language and how the brain processes it is that my stutter completely disappears when I chant or sing.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, that’s all true. I’ve had heated Internet discussions with people who pontificated on “proper” and “perfect” pronunciation being required or else mantras and hymns are almost useless. I disagreed with that for two reasons:

1. Everyone speaks with their own accent, personal and regional as you mentioned; everyone has certain quirks, even to the point of impediments. The mantras of a priest with a lisp (not necessarily the “th” sound, you probably know there are four types) are useless? Nonsense... IMO.

2. The person I was arguing with was just putting on airs. :D

Another quirk of language and how the brain processes it is that my stutter completely disappears when I chant or sing.

One of the priests here couldn't say 'sh'.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:( Maybe there will be next year.
View attachment 57293
Beautiful idols, beautiful flowers. Yes, it is not fair to celebrate Diwali alone. We did not have the lighting this time and crackers were banned this year. Mother left us this year. But my daughter and grand daughter, and a niece who is in Pune were with us at lunch. The tradition with us is that after Diwali puja, the elders should not leave the home (since Ma Lakshmi may come to us at any time). Children however are free to roam about. :D
My grand daughter presented us a simple but heavy 'kuthuvillakku' (lamp stand, 12 inches).
What I meant to say is that I'm no judge.
I judge, according to my way of pronunciation, but take it all in my stride. What I mean to say is that I judge but do not pass judgment. :D
.. my stutter completely disappears when I chant or sing.
Yeah, is not that surprising?

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
हरे राम हरे राम
राम राम हरे हरे
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण
कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे

Happy Govardhana Pūjā to all who observe it!