• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

divorce initiated by women (reposted from Reform DIR)

Tumah

Veteran Member
This makes me think of something else I read that I also found disturbing - that a husband can be forced to divorce his wife against his will under certain conditions, one of them being if they remaind childless after 10 years of marriage.
This is actually not completely correct. As of 700 years ago already, there is responsa from Rabbis claiming that although technically the husband should be forced to divorce his wife, no one has ever heard of such a case where the court actually did that. We don't do it.

This really rubbed me the wrong way. It seems, going back to a previous comment, that the whole point of marriage in Judaism is self-propagation of the people, not at all something between two individuals make in the image of God, with free will to enter into a loving commitment at will. That's how it sounds to me as an outsider.
That's not too far off. In more Orthodox circles, we find a spouse based on shared principles and goals, go on a few dates to make sure there's compatibility and get married.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This is actually not completely correct. As of 700 years ago already, there is responsa from Rabbis claiming that although technically the husband should be forced to divorce his wife, no one has ever heard of such a case where the court actually did that. We don't do it.

That's not too far off. In more Orthodox circles, we find a spouse based on shared principles and goals, go on a few dates to make sure there's compatibility and get married.

I can't decide on the rating for this one. The first part is informative. the last part is optimistic.

So I'm going with... Informa-tistic. :cool:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm finding this whole thread rather informative. Thanks bros :)
I can't decide on the rating for this one. The first part is informative. the last part is optimistic.

Just do what I do and use the optimistic rating for anything that's not any other rating.

Tumah

Veteran Member

The last part is also informative. We do do it that way!

At 83%, the share of married haredim over the age of 20 is much greater than that among non-haredi Jews (62%). This is explained by the younger age in which people get married within haredi society—yielding a rate of singles roughly half that of the general Jewish population (12% versus 23%). Another factor is the very low incidence of divorce and widowhood in the haredi community (5%), as opposed to the figure of 14% for the general Jewish population.
source (Israel Democracy Institute 2016)​

And it works!

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
I am perplexed by what I have read about divorce within Judaism. Even in Reform Judaism, which has female rabbis, it seems that women are still not allowed to initiate a Jewish divorce, but at best, may try to convince the jewish court to insist that the husband initiate it. I'm thinking here specifically about situations that involve domestic violence, as I've sadly dealt with several friends recently who were in this situation.

And then there's the situation of the missing husband who can neither be confirmed as deceased nor tracked down to initiate a divorce. This seems completely illogical to me, not to mention contrary to the idea that every person is made in God's image and therefore has the same basic rights as every other person.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it would be God's will to keep married women in a second class status?

I mean no disrespect... I'm looking into Judaism for myself and my family, so I have a personal interest in this.
Hi again, K! First always remember to put a dash between the G and d. We only do this to correct non-Jews !! Second, don’t worry about the Jewish court. If your hubby cheats on you, give him a good zets in touchas !!