• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divine Revelation to Humans

Super Universe

Defender of God
Over the course of human history how many times has there been divine revelation to humans?

Genesis?

Baghavad Gita?

Buddha's teachings?

Jesus and the books of the New Testament?

The Koran?

The Book of Mormon?

Urantia Book?

I'm sure there are more.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why does revelation necessarily have to be confined to what has been written? The prophets proclaimed, "Thus saith the Lord!" Revelation is heard, and spoken, and acted out, as well as written and read. Revelation continues in many, many individuals every single day. God does not just exist for us in the sacred writings, but in our very lives.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Super Universe said:
Over the course of human history how many times has there been divine revelation to humans?

Genesis?

Baghavad Gita?

Buddha's teachings?

Well, Buddha's teachings surely are not it, since Buddha was not divine. He was an ordinary human being who achieved supreme enlightenment. This is possible for all other humans as well, if they chose to work at it.

Opethian

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion

Edit: Oh and I'm writing on a little something myself too. If you want to become a new born Johanist, please donate 499 dollars to the bank account number I will supply you with after you mail me.

Opethian

Who is to say these are divine? Any why do we not stop to consider that the so-called reveleations are of any importance whatsoever? People hear the word "god" and instantly their heads go into the sand and they get all googely eyed. Heaven fordid he who thinks they are the twisted ramblings of the misinformed. Nope, not must in the way of revelation and a few measures short of being divine. If the Quran was removed for the list, I might consider calling the list "inspired".

Indeed, what if someone started saying things like the Silmarillion is the book of god, and Tolkien was its prophet. Why would this be any less credible than for instance the bible and Jesus? There's no way to check how credible these sources are, and yet people base their whole lives on them. It's kind of sick to be honest.

Ori

Angel slayer
Opethian said:
Indeed, what if someone started saying things like the Silmarillion is the book of god, and Tolkien was its prophet. Why would this be any less credible than for instance the bible and Jesus? There's no way to check how credible these sources are, and yet people base their whole lives on them. It's kind of sick to be honest.

I agree and disagree.

But not having definitive proof through sources is the very nature of faith.

It is only sick if religious convictions are justified for the use of war, terror, bigotry etc

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
:banghead3

Super Universe

Defender of God
YmirGF: Have you ever read the Koran? You can order it from Amazon.com. Don't be afraid. You should find a lot of it very familiar. It tells the story of Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, and Ishmael.

Opethian: My belief in God is not based on any book. It's based upon logic, and faith, but the faith came many years after the logic. The universe is so complex that it is illogical for it all to be accidental.

Opethian

Opethian: My belief in God is not based on any book. It's based upon logic, and faith, but the faith came many years after the logic. The universe is so complex that it is illogical for it all to be accidental.

Well, at least that's a lot better than most of the basic religions. I do have to disagree with you on the universe being too complex to be illogical to have been an accident. OK, you can conclude that you don't really know how it happened, but there's no way you can really say that it can't have arisen because of a quantum fluctuation.

Super Universe

Defender of God
A quantum fluctuation that seeds the universe with helium and hydrogen? Matter creating itself in perfectly stable atoms?

Then the spreading expanse of matter and electromagnetic energy created from this beginning also creates time?

All this without any devine intervention or previous plan?

It statistically defies logic.

nutshell

Methinks this might have been a better thread if limited to theists only.

Oh, well.

I'll just go stick my head back in the sand. That should make them happy.

Popeyesays

Super Universe said:
A quantum fluctuation that seeds the universe with helium and hydrogen? Matter creating itself in perfectly stable atoms?

Then the spreading expanse of matter and electromagnetic energy created from this beginning also creates time?

There were no stable atoms in the dense mass of energy which was the "Bang". It was full of quarks un associated with one another. It was not until the density was relieved that the quarks could combine into atomic particles, then into atoms of hydrogen, helium and a scatter of lithium.

Regards,
Scott

Super Universe

Defender of God
Sounds like the quarks is a pretty amazing thing. The perfect building block for a universe that can even create itself.

In all of our scientific research has a quark ever just so happened to create itself in a lab?

I wonder how this amazing quark made time? And even moreso, why?

I also wonder how these elements that joined together just so happened to create the mysterious thing that causes something to not only exist but become alive.

How does a quark or element do that?

finalfrogo

Any message based around compassion, love, peace, and gratitude is a divine revelation, because the universe (and ultimately God) are centered around these things.

may

The book of revelation , the last one in the bible means ...........an uncovering or an unvailing...........and it sure is being unvailed in this time of the end, many prophecies in the book of Daniel are connected to the book of revelation.And as for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about, and the [true] knowledge will become abundant Daniel 12;4....its all happening its being uncovered,for those who have insight.
And he went on to say: "Go, Daniel, because the words are made secret and sealed up until the time of [the] end. Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will certainly act wickedly, and no wicked ones at all will understand; but the ones having insight will understand DANIEL 12;9-10 Yes it sure is a revelation in this time of the end .........

mehrosh

YmirGF said:
If the Quran was removed for the list, I might consider calling the list "inspired".
Brother I see your problem with the Quran...But if you do not consider it as a divine revelation...it doesn't the least affects the truth....MANY people have problems when it comes to the discussion of the Quran...But as this thread deals with Revelations to Humans...I will take this oppurtunity to consider the final revelation from Almighty God and that is the Quran...Unchanged..We already know that the Holy Qur'an is the infallible Word of God, revealed to our Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhummed Mustapha (Peace be upon him) word for word, through the agency of the Archangel Jibraeel, (known as Gabriel in English), and perfectly preserved and protected from human tampering for the past fourteen hundred years! Even hostile critics of Islam have grudgingly vouched for the purity of the Holy Qur’ân: ;THERE IS PROBABLY IN THE WORLD NO OTHER BOOK WHICH HAS REMAINED TWELVE CENTURIES (now fourteen) WITH SO PURE A TEXT — (Sir William Muir)
If you claim that Quran is not from God and the True divine Revelation I challenge you to bring one single mistake in it......I will offer you a free copy of the Arabic Quran with English Translation

mehrosh

finalfrogo said:
Any message based around compassion, love, peace, and gratitude is a divine revelation, because the universe (and ultimately God) are centered around these things.
Many people can write down books covering the topics you have mentioned...claiming it divine or not is another topic

mehrosh

Super Universe said:

It is good to see science has advanced to tell us all this...the Qur'an told this to us more than 1400 years ago............"Haven't the unbelievers seen that the heavens and the earth were joined together (in one singularity), then we clove both of them asunder.” (21:30)....... Even hostile critics of Islam have grudgingly vouched for the purity of the Holy Qur’ân: "THERE IS PROBABLY IN THE WORLD NO OTHER BOOK WHICH HAS REMAINED TWELVE CENTURIES (now fourteen) WITH SO PURE A TEXT." — (Sir William Muir)