• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dislike and distrust of atheists?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that a Christian theologian carrying out Biblical exegesis via reasoning from specific points of scripture, and specific documenting his thought process with recourse to God and various Biblical concepts can fairly be described as 'something to do with Christianity'. This is especially true if he is presenting remarkably novel ideas that are almost unheard of in any society. This is where we disagree.

No, it isn't, but I don't care to repeat myself any more.

That it was dependent on an uncommon cultural 'spark' explains why it took 10,000 years to develop as an idea despite all humans being born with empathy and reason. As a sceptic, I can't believe in the silver bullet of 'rational ethics' which explains everything like magic.

Then you haven't understood it.

I find it hard to dismiss as purely 'rational ethics' a Greek theologian making arguments based on scripture that starts from a fundamentally different philosophical axiom because of this, the 'rational' Greeks couldn't even conceive a world without slavery and they had absolutely no concept of Humans being born with fundamental rights.

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand - at least my half of it.

Why would they after all? Their mythos had no room for such concepts, as did their empiricism and scepticism. It took someone irrational to believe in something that is obviously untrue: we don't say all pigs are created equal and born with innate rights. Humans are not exceptional from any scientific perspective, we are just animals.

What is exceptional about us is our ability to create myths, stories and narratives that explain the world we live in. These myths affect all aspects of the way we interact with the world we live in for better or for worse.

These myths develop into cultures and world views which make people behave and think differently (as you see when you travel the world), and become internalised to the extent that people are not even aware of where many fundamental ideas in their society came from (and often think they are universal or simply 'common sense').

These beliefs make certain things possible and certain things impossible. For example, there is no concept of 'honour killing' in contemporary Northern European culture as they are not an honour based society. Self effacing humour in public is not really possible in societies that place a high values on 'face'.

Would you agree that culture and worldview make certain beliefs and ideologies possible, and others impossible (or at least highly unlikely)?

Do you believe that 'inside we are all pretty much the same', or that across times and cultures there is a wide diversity of ways of thinking? For example would you see the pre-modern mind as being very different to the modern one in how it sees the world?

DO you believe reason and empathy when governing human behaviour and morals depend on the myths we tell ourselves (i.e the ideologies we hold)?

It actually has a very narrow appeal throughout history though, pretty much limited to the modern West.

Go back in time and try to explain it in most societies and it would make no sense.

"Mr Caesar sir, don't you realise you have a duty of care to the barbarians?"
"Why is that?"
"We are all part of a common Humanity and are born with inalienable rights that you shouldn't violate"
":tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:"

"Mr Aurelius sir, if we all work together we can solve humanity's problems through our collective reason. Our world will keep on gradually getting better and better for ever"
"Hubris is neither wise nor virtuous my dear chap, one cannot conquer fate. One must have the moral courage to live knowing the world is beyond their control and understanding. That is what it means to be a man."

You are consistently making the mistake of choosing how you think Christianity ought to be defined and conceptualised in a normative sense, rather than looking at how specific people interpreted it in the past in a positive sense. You are also saying that because Christian A believes X, then Christian B can't believe Y.

Seeing as you are unwilling to accept a Christian theologian reasoning directly from scripture and explicitly stating his reasoning as being evidence for even a quantum of Christian influence though, it is unlikely you will consider the more subtle influences as having any impact whatsoever. I believe that culture has a big impact on ways people think though and that European culture cannot be neatly abstracted from its Christian (and Greek and Roman, etc.) influences.

Even if the influences were 'anything but Christianity', would you at least agree that: Universalism, Humanity, Progressive history & Rights that derive simply from existence are necessary for Humanism to exist and that they are not found in the vast majority of human societies throughout history?

Like I mentioned before, you can't have a concept of honour killing without an honour based society. If you are anything like me you can't even imagine how people who carry out honour killings must think and reason. I certainly can't empathise with them in any way or put myself in their shoes. Their actions are 'rational' according to their own worldview though, and can be motivated by empathy (for the family rather than the victim of course).

Would you also agree that just as honour killing makes no conceptual sense to you, many of the ideas on which Humanism is based would make no conceptual sense to people in most historical societies?

These topics interest you more than me. You keep coming back to them.- Greeks, Buddhists. It's about Christianity and humanism. Other topics are digressions.

Humanism is not an offshoot of Christianity, and owes it nothing, although the reverse is not true. That is my position. That is what I have been discussing. You have posted nothing to make me think otherwise.

But I have been forced to review my thoughts in the process - thoughts that have become more explicit in the process. I haven't had to make these arguments before.Today, I can make them more quickly and comprehensively.

What has your experience been like? Do you also feel like you made a case that your collocutor could not or did not refute? I would presume so.

No, it isn't, but I don't care to repeat myself any more.
Somehow, you still want to credit Christianity because Christians were involved. Non sequitur. Christians do things that have nothing to do with their Christianity. Recognizing the immorality of slavery is one of them.

This is what I was referring to. You were pretty unequivocal on this point, so unless you have changed you mind recently it still seems to relate to a fundamental point of disagreement regarding whether or not this explicitly stated reasoning from the Bible should be considered 'something to do with Christianity'.

Then you haven't understood it....Irrelevant to the discussion at hand - at least my half of it.

Can you humour me with answering a few yes/no questions (no need to explain your answers)

Yes/no: Using reason and empathy to construct ideologies and systems of morality is significantly influenced by cultural background

Yes/no: Cultural background can make certain ideas/concepts/values incomprehensible? (For example, honour killing is incomprehensible to most modern Europeans)

Yes/no: Even if the influences were 'anything but Christianity', (a) would you at least agree that: Universalism, Humanity, Progressive history & Rights that derive simply from existence and are based on the individual (not the collective) are necessary precursors for Humanism to develop and that (b) they are not found in the vast majority of human societies throughout history?

Humanism is not an offshoot of Christianity, and owes it nothing, although the reverse is not true. That is my position. That is what I have been discussing. You have posted nothing to make me think otherwise.

We fundamentally differ as I don't think Humanism can be credited for influencing things before it ever existed as a coherent ideology. Constituent parts of this ideology are found in many other ideologies, but their effects can't be retroactively claimed as resulting from Humanism/Humanist values any more than 6th C Mazdakism can be claimed as resulting from Marxist values despite some superficial similarities.

What has your experience been like? Do you also feel like you made a case that your collocutor could not or did not refute? I would presume so.

Honestly, it feels like you haven't really addressed the fundamental aspect of the argument. Your replies have mostly been comprehensive, but seem to repeatedly miss out the parts that deal with the key aspect which is written off as 'irrelevant' (even when they were replies to specific questions you asked i.e Buddhism).

These are the parts that deal with the question of why Humanism developed in Europe rather than elsewhere, and why Humanism is still mostly limited to Europe despite being around for centuries.

In general, due to a strong attachment to their own sense of rationality, Humanists tend to overplay our ability to impartially use reason to construct worldviews, and underplay (or dismiss) the role of 'irrational' cultural narratives and historical accident in shaping their ways of thinking. Without these cultural myths (whatever their origin), their worldview makes little sense which is why I've been referring to other cultures as examples. You argue that rational ethics chooses the values it wants and works out how to achieve them, but I'm still unsure as to what you think that made such values desirable in the first place (without resorting to a circular reasoning based on 'Humanist values').

As well as these myths, social structures that result from religion/ideology have an important role (the success of Confucianism in China was that it made for a stable society based on filial piety and one that tied the educated to the state. As such it failed to industrialise as it wasn't conducive to developing an upwardly mobile industrial class, and it was entirely hostile towards an individualistic concept of ethics or secularist separation of 'religion' and state).

Obviously there are a multitude of social, cultural and economic factors (both direct and indirect) that led to the development of Humanism. There are also potentially many paths that could lead there. But only one path did lead there, and it is pretty implausible that this path went straight through a Christian context yet remained completely uninfluenced by it in any way.

I know we won't agree on these points, as I seem to place a greater importance on cultural context of ideas than you do. Good discussion though :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How can secular folks contend with this disadvantageous position?

Does religion or lack of it really say anything about a person's character?

It doesn't really. Religion is no indication of a person's character or morals. This seems so obvious to me, I wonder why the disconnect.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Dislike and distrust of atheists?

Dislike and distrust of Atheism people and the like, is not appreciable, If they give reasonable arguments and don't deride and ridicule others. Please
As a human beings they must be respected and loved, however wrong one could be.
Regards

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you humour me with answering a few yes/no questions (no need to explain your answers)

Yes/no: Using reason and empathy to construct ideologies and systems of morality is significantly influenced by cultural background

Yes.

Yes/no: Cultural background can make certain ideas/concepts/values incomprehensible? (For example, honour killing is incomprehensible to most modern Europeans)

Yes.

Yes/no: Even if the influences were 'anything but Christianity', (a) would you at least agree that: Universalism, Humanity, Progressive history & Rights that derive simply from existence and are based on the individual (not the collective) are necessary precursors for Humanism to develop and that (b) they are not found in the vast majority of human societies throughout history?

Yes.

We fundamentally differ as I don't think Humanism can be credited for influencing things before it ever existed as a coherent ideology.

Yes, we disagree. Humanism was centuries in its evolution. At each stage, it's ability to influence was limited by its state of progress, but its essential principles that were extant made their mark.

Humanism has roots in far Eastern philosophies. If Paul's reason for tossing out the Old Testament laws was based on them being irrational and unjust, then he was using the rational ethics of humanism even then - not a feature of Christianity, but an infusion of a foreign type of thinking.

Of course, Paul's motives may not have been compassionate. It might have been a marketing decision, in which case it is unrelated to humanism.

Constituent parts of this ideology are found in many other ideologies, but their effects can't be retroactively claimed as resulting from Humanism/Humanist values any more than 6th C Mazdakism can be claimed as resulting from Marxist values despite some superficial similarities.

Honestly, it feels like you haven't really addressed the fundamental aspect of the argument. Your replies have mostly been comprehensive, but seem to repeatedly miss out the parts that deal with the key aspect which is written off as 'irrelevant' (even when they were replies to specific questions you asked i.e Buddhism).

These are the parts that deal with the question of why Humanism developed in Europe rather than elsewhere, and why Humanism is still mostly limited to Europe despite being around for centuries.

Your position seems to be that if something developed beside Christianity is the reason why, and served a necessary and constructive role. I still don't see that.

In general, due to a strong attachment to their own sense of rationality, Humanists tend to overplay our ability to impartially use reason to construct worldviews, and underplay (or dismiss) the role of 'irrational' cultural narratives and historical accident in shaping their ways of thinking. Without these cultural myths (whatever their origin), their worldview makes little sense which is why I've been referring to other cultures as examples.

I thought we were talking about humanism, not humanists.

But if you care to, yes, we are a rational people. Unlike our faith based counterparts, we esteem the use of reason (valid argument) applied to evidence.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You argue that rational ethics chooses the values it wants and works out how to achieve them, but I'm still unsure as to what you think that made such values desirable in the first place (without resorting to a circular reasoning based on 'Humanist values').

There is a consensus among humanists that we should strive to create a world that embodies certain core values such as justice, freedom, dignity, opportunity, and tolerance. The specifics of how to achieve those need to be tweaked out. Some choices have unseen consequences and are actually counterproductive. We test such ideas, examine their consequences, and make modifications accordingly.

As well as these myths, social structures that result from religion/ideology have an important role (the success of Confucianism in China was that it made for a stable society based on filial piety and one that tied the educated to the state. As such it failed to industrialise as it wasn't conducive to developing an upwardly mobile industrial class, and it was entirely hostile towards an individualistic concept of ethics or secularist separation of 'religion' and state).

How is that relevant to the relationship between Christianity and humanism. Why do I need to keep tugging this discussion back to that? Isnpt that what we're discussing? If not, what are you discussing?

Obviously there are a multitude of social, cultural and economic factors (both direct and indirect) that led to the development of Humanism. There are also potentially many paths that could lead there. But only one path did lead there, and it is pretty implausible that this path went straight through a Christian context yet remained completely uninfluenced by it in any way.

I know we won't agree on these points, as I seem to place a greater importance on cultural context of ideas than you do. Good discussion though :)

Yes, it has been a good discussion, but I think it's played out and has been for awhile. I don't want to ignore you, so I respond to your posts, but we've been going in circles repeating ourselves for some time now.

You wrote, "it is pretty implausible that this path went straight through a Christian context yet remained completely uninfluenced by it in any way."

Was that your position? That any slight influence of Christianity on humanism makes your case that humanism is an derivative of Christianity?

No. You claimed that Christianity had a necessary and crucial role in that process.

Maybe you're right. Not only do we put up billboards like "Reason is the reason for the season," which obviously reveals a Christian influence on humanism there, there was an effort to create a humanist winter solstice holiday like Christimas - HumanLight.

My position: Humanism influenced Christianity, not the other way around unless you want to include billboards and HumanLight..

Unless you can provide evidence of a Christian component to humanism, there is nothing more to say here. So far, you have only offered ideas like a sense of progress, a sense of humanity, a sense of the comprehensibility of the cosmos, and a sense of universality.

Sorry, but most of these are not Christian concepts, and humanism's version of them does not resemble Christianity's counterpart. We've discussed the wildly disparate visions of humanity, and government.

Where is the freedom of the individual, or democracy in the Bible? I still don't understand how you can claim that our modern views on these areas arise from the Bible. After thousands of words between us, my position is unchanged, and I'm guessing that yours is as well.

Isn't it time to put this to bed?. Is anything relevant still unsaid?

not a feature of Christianity, but an infusion of a foreign type of thinking.

As I noted previously, Christianity emerged from Hellenised Judaism. As such it was a feature of Christianity as Christianity was formed by a foreign type of thinking + Judaism.

The introduction of the foreign thinking preceded the formation of Christianity (and also left it receptive to further influence by Greek philosophy which you see throughout the evolution of Christian philosophy). Greek philosophy was never 'foreign' to Christianity, which is very important for the evolution of European thought (and my argument).

This is why my view of what should be considered as influenced by Christianity is significantly broader than your very narrow focus on scriptural literalism.

How is that relevant to the relationship between Christianity and humanism. Why do I need to keep tugging this discussion back to that?

Because the one of the key questions for me is why 18th C Europe rather than somewhere else. This requires analysis of both 18th C Europe and 'somewhere else'. Why were the necessary precursors present in Europe but not elsewhere.

Is anything relevant still unsaid?

just this...

Humanism has roots in far Eastern philosophies.

Which ones? By which route do you see them as ending up in Western philosophy? Why didn't Humanism develop there?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As I noted previously, Christianity emerged from Hellenised Judaism.
I'm sorry, not saying that some Christians weren't influenced but that it emerged from a Hellenized Judaism is purely an opinion.

Others would patently disagree with you as do I.

Last edited:

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
I'm sorry, not saying that some Christians weren't influenced but that it emerged from a Hellenized Judaism is purely an opinion.

Others would patently disagree with you as do I.

Yes, Hellenism did influence both Judaism and Christianity. a comprehensive article to explain the foundational debt Christianity owes Hellenism, and of course Judaism, which goes without saying, can be found here.

Christianity and Hellenism on JSTOR

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes, Hellenism did influence both Judaism and Christianity. a comprehensive article to explain the foundational debt Christianity owes Hellenism, and of course Judaism, which goes without saying, can be found here.

Christianity and Hellenism on JSTOR
I still don't see it.

Yes, the oracles had been silent, but revelation had been the norm throughout the history of the prophets. To say that revelation comes from Hellenism is to deny that revelation existed before the Greek empire in the Jewish culture.

In this quote:

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 6.40.00 AM.png

the statement is purely an opinion and its reference is parallel and not causative.

One site said that Hellenism is seen in the changing of the names like Saul to Paul. Again, that is to deny that God changed the names of Jacob, Abram and Sarai before Hellenism existed.

So I would still hold to the position of disagreement.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
I still don't see it.

Yes, the oracles had been silent, but revelation had been the norm throughout the history of the prophets. To say that revelation comes from Hellenism is to deny that revelation existed before the Greek empire in the Jewish culture.

In this quote:

View attachment 16791

the statement is purely an opinion and its reference is parallel and not causative.

One site said that Hellenism is seen in the changing of the names like Saul to Paul. Again, that is to deny that God changed the names of Jacob, Abram and Sarai before Hellenism existed.

So I would still hold to the position of disagreement.

what is it that you do not see? how Hellenism influenced both judaism, and christianity? how the author sees hellenism and judaism as forces that shaped christianity? that goes way beyond some name changes, what would either religious tradition be without the philosphical foundation of the hellenistic worldview? and then of course there is the debt both religions owe to the zoroastrians in regard to the duality of good and evil, a messiah, free will, day of judgement etc.
i hate to tell you, but christians did not invent the wheel. they are nothing special, just another group that follows a syncretic religious tradition vying for prominent position.

Kenny

Premium Member
what is it that you do not see? how Hellenism influenced both judaism, and christianity? how the author sees hellenism and judaism as forces that shaped christianity?
that goes way beyond some name changes, what would either religious tradition be without the philosphical foundation of the hellenistic worldview?
I understand the personal viewpoint of the author. But Hellenism started during the Greek world domination. My point was quite obvious in that the influences that he purported existed before the Greeks were in charge.

Maybe it was the Jewish history that influenced the Greeks?

and then of course there is the debt both religions owe to the zoroastrians in regard to the duality of good and evil, a messiah, free will, day of judgement etc.
If you say so. I always wondered what came first, the hen or the egg.

i hate to tell you, but christians did not invent the wheel. they are nothing special, just another group that follows a syncretic religious tradition vying for prominent position.
I don't know about vying for prominent position--I suppose there are those type of people in all sectors.

Not sure who invented the wheel.

But I follow Jesus Christ because of His power that changed my life and serve others for the same reason.

Last edited:

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
I understand the personal viewpoint of the author. But Hellenism started during the Greek world domination. My point was quite obvious in that the influences that he purported existed before the Greeks were in charge.

Maybe it was the Jewish history that influenced the Greeks?

If you say so. I always wondered what came first, the hen or the egg.

I don't know about vying for prominent position--I suppose there are those type of people in all sectors.

Not sure who invented the wheel.

But I follow Jesus Christ because of His power that changed my life and serve others for the same reason.

You find nothing judaic in hellenism, judaism was not influential in the formation of hellenism. here are some sources that describe how hellenism influenced the development of judaism
Hellenism & Judaism | My Jewish Learning
HELLENISM - JewishEncyclopedia.com

we know for sure that the Mayans did not invent the wheel. as to who did? it's a probably safe to say that some smart woman did it when she was forced to confront the fact that agriculture brought with it the burden of durable good. we know that ancient ME cultures had wheel to grind grain, used them for water wheels etc.

in regard to the expression "vying for a prominent position", i was referring to the need of any newly invented religion to try and jockey for position in relation to older, established traditions in order to gain converts and assert the idea that they got this whole god thing right and by comparison, other got it wrong. new groups all need to establish identity and legitimize their cause. else they fall by the wayside.

Kenny

Premium Member
You find nothing judaic in hellenism, judaism was not influential in the formation of hellenism. here are some sources that describe how hellenism influenced the development of judaism
Hellenism & Judaism | My Jewish Learning
HELLENISM - JewishEncyclopedia.com

I am aware of all the proposed opinions on the matter. Certainly one could come to that conclusion if one wants to. But I find it more alone this line:

1) I believe that Hellenism influenced Christianity
2) I find the basic beliefs of Hellenism and see if it is in Christianity
3) I found that which is the same
4) Ergo - Hellenism influenced Christianity.

(Gnosticism is a Hellenistic belief system that TRIED to influence Christianity and was dealt with in scriptures.)

However, I differ in the approach.

1) There are some Hellenistic beliefs that run parallel to Judaism and Christianity -- and may even be the same
2) Those beliefs existed scripturally before the Greeks had any influence
3) Ergo - it wasn't Hellenism that created the Christian/Judeo belief system.

we know for sure that the Mayans did not invent the wheel. as to who did? it's a probably safe to say that some smart woman did it when she was forced to confront the fact that agriculture brought with it the burden of durable good. we know that ancient ME cultures had wheel to grind grain, used them for water wheels etc.
:D Thanks for adding humor.

in regard to the expression "vying for a prominent position", i was referring to the need of any newly invented religion to try and jockey for position in relation to older, established traditions in order to gain converts and assert the idea that they got this whole god thing right and by comparison, other got it wrong. new groups all need to establish identity and legitimize their cause. else they fall by the wayside.

That is one approach. Perhaps, like you say, some religions were invented that way.

However, Christianity started with an empty tomb, 500 witnesses of the resurrected Christ that cold have easily been debunked by saying "here is the body", 3,000 converts in the first day of its message done by uneducated people and 5,000 not too long after along with thousands of others in a short period of time.

We have statements of the fact from sources that were anti-Christian. And we have thousands of more documents than the Iliad for critical review.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
KenS, I never said that hellenism created the judeo-xtian belief system. I pointed out that hellenism influenced them. for that matter, Zoroastrianism was an earlier and just as strong influence.

in regard as to how xtianity started, it was founded in judaism and became christianity only because of the influence of hellenism. before Saul started moving into the roman empire and thereby through the hellenistic world, it was just a little movement, referred to as the jesus movement. without saul, it would not have been anything and just wilted away like so many other messianic cults.

Kenny

Premium Member
KenS, I never said that hellenism created the judeo-xtian belief system. I pointed out that hellenism influenced them. for that matter, Zoroastrianism was an earlier and just as strong influence.

in regard as to how xtianity started, it was founded in judaism and became christianity only because of the influence of hellenism. before Saul started moving into the roman empire and thereby through the hellenistic world, it was just a little movement, referred to as the jesus movement. without saul, it would not have been anything and just wilted away like so many other messianic cults.
I would have to completely disagree on all points.

It was founded because God said in Genesis 3 that a Messiah was coming. It was decreed in Deuteronomy way before Hellenism. It was in prophecy in Psalms much before the Greeks were prominent and so many other pre-Greek era.

And it was going strong a LONG time before Saul ever became Paul. It wasn't just Paul but also all the Apostles who took it to the world.

WHERE DID THE DISCIPLES GO? | History of the Twelve Tribes of Israel

The only reason you speak of Paul is because of the records in scripture that we have which gives you the illusion that only Paul spread the Gospel

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
what we have here is a clash between historic development of a belief system and a believer's defense of said religious tradition's mythology. no need to debate this since belief and faith are not amenable to a factual discussion.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
what we have here is a clash between historic development of a belief system and a believers defense of said religious tradition's mythology. no need to debate this since belief and faith are not amenable to a factual discussion.
Faith is a subject matter which is both factual and current and is used by the world.

However, you are right in that there is a clash between historic development and the difference in viewpoints between mythology and truth.

Last edited: