• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discriminating words in the dictionary

uberrobonomicon4000

I was looking through a Webster’s college dictionary (4th edition) and found what I believe to be a discriminating term for Kahuna. Is says a Kahuna "in traditional Hawaiian society, a person with specialized knowledge of ritual, agriculture, navigation, sorcery, etc."

However, this isn’t the problem. The problem is with the second part of the definition.

It reads: “any person or thing to whom larger-than-life power or authority is attributed.”

Isn’t this discriminating? If not then can’t this be said about anyone who holds any type of power?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"The Big Kahuna" is a common slang term for a person of great importance or power.
What do you mean by "discriminating"?

uberrobonomicon4000

I was not thinking about Kahuna being used as slang, as it didn’t mention anything about Kahuna being used in casual or informal settings. I could only imagine the repercussions of someone calling their boss or employer a big a kahuna; as in “You big kahuna”. But in a casual everyday setting, I guess it would be perfectly suitable to describe someone as a big kahuna.

LoL – it just seems like a funny word to me now.

I guess by discriminating, I meant someone who professes (or claims) to have more power (or authority) than they actually do. But I guess there is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

Aside from that I have already come up with other uses for the word. :D