• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discrepancy 1: Genesis 1 vs 2

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
that's news to me.

You can change the bible as much as you want, to serve your needs.
However a person with minimum IQ will quickly reject it. Because it's YOUR bible, not THE bible.

The two creation stories in Genesis are different with differing events happening on the same days. They are parables not history and certainly not science. I can recommend some books if you are interested. The writers of the Genesis stories were attempting to explain why there was anything at all they were not so much interested in the how of it.

Last edited:

Xchristian

The two creation stories in Genesis are different with differing events happening on the same days. .

I told you I understand, but that's YOUR bible, nothing in THE bible suggests that.
Only YOU can't bear the fact this is a human book filled with errors, so you try to find an alternative book. I hope you understand that I sympathise with you.

Myth withdrawal took a long time for me, at one time I thought there was a conspiracy to detroy my little jesus by the whole world.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You failed to explain the discrepancy, I gave you a chance, and now you're blaming the bible itself!

I'm not blaming the Bible. I'm blaming people for assuming they can just pick up the Bible and fully understand it without actually doing the proper research. The Bible is not a simple work. The fact that there are discrepancies make this even more difficult.

I told you I understand, but that's YOUR bible, nothing in THE bible suggests that.
Only YOU can't bear the fact this is a human book filled with errors, so you try to find an alternative book. I hope you understand that I sympathise with you.
How do you know nothing in the Bible suggests that? In fact, if you study myth, and the meaning of myth, you will see that the two creation stories in Genesis were created for specific reasons. If you would want to discuss that more, I suggest we create a new thread.

Many Christians and Jews accept that the Bible is flawed. There are discrepancies. That doesn't mean they are filled with errors though. It means that a variety of people, with different perspectives, wrote the Bible. Of course there will be differences. But with the portions that are myth (such as the creation narratives), that doesn't mean they are filled with errors. It means that they had different meanings.

gnostic

The Lost One
Xchristian said:
You failed to explain the discrepancy, I gave you a chance, and now you're blaming the bible itself!

No, he's blaming your lack of study and knowledge on biblical scholarship.

gnostic

The Lost One
fallingblood said:
Many Christians and Jews accept that the Bible is flawed. There are discrepancies. That doesn't mean they are filled with errors though.

I wouldn't even call them errors.

Discrepancy, yes. :yes:

There are indeed distinction between errors and discrepancies.

The way I see it that two people (or 2 groups of people) were writing at different times, with different messages that they wanted to get across.

The two creation stories are the results of 2 different traditions. With 2 traditions, they would have different themes, resulting in 2 versions.

At some points, a third person or 3rd group attempted to weave both versions together, so that would account for the discrepancies.

I have encountered many such discrepancies in reading mythological literature.

gnostic

The Lost One
Xchristian said:
a Christian would blame the weather ... anything but the fact that the book is contradictory.

Actually, I think fallingblood knows quite well that there are inconsistencies or contradictions in some parts of the bible, and he usually acknowledge them. Christian or not, I think he is quite knowledgeable in biblical scholarship.

There are others who are terrible at scholarship, or they just blindly follow whatever were written in the bible or blindly follow whatever they have been taught in church.

fallingblood is not one of them.