• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Different ways of being human?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I get the sense you're missing my point here and I'm not sure how to resolve that. I'm not talking about "ascribing meaning to atheism" I'm talking about recognizing the impact of atheism as a cultural subgroup on human culture and history. And for atheism that impact is hugely disproportionate to the demographics, so to be so dismissive of all that is, frankly, bizarre. But if you'd rather I believe the idea of atheism contributes nothing and zilch to human culture and history, I mean... okay? o_O

Atheism is nothing more than disbelief in gods. I live my life without impact of such a belief in the same way i live without impact because i don't collect stamps.

i really don't care until someone tries to tell me what i am.

I believe most atheists are of a similar mind though i can't speak for them.

The only impact i do see is the hatred, the threats, the misrepresentation, the bullpoop handed out to/about atheists by non atheists.

Could you please clarify how atheism impacts history and culture?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you please clarify how atheism impacts history and culture?

I'm hardly an expert in the subject but it looks like Wikipedia as usual has a pretty good collation here - History of atheism - Wikipedia. In Europe in particular, atheism was hugely influential as a driver of Christian religious reform and the Enlightenment. There's also the more contemporary New Atheism movement which has had a huge impact on modern culture. The cultural clout and history of atheism is something I should probably look into more because it's so interesting and has some crossover with the impact of contemporary Paganism as a counterculture (non-theist and atheist Pagans are a thing).

InChrist

Free4ever
Diffrent religions are simply different ways of being human.

Discuss.
You are probably correct, religions are about human efforts, preferences, etc,. But I think the point should be God/Creator; seeking and finding the truth about God.

Pudding

Diffrent religions are simply different ways of being human.

Discuss.
Different religions are simply different ways of being human?
What does your statement means exactly?

Do you mean that:
(1) Different religions are simply different ways of how human behaves?
(2) Different religions are simply different ways to let human become human?
(3) Different religions are simply different ways to let non-human become human?

If what you meant is (1), then i agree with you.

If what you meant is (2), then i disagree with you, because human is already human, so human don't need to join a religion in order to become human.

If what you meant is (3), then i also disagree with you, because non-human joining a religion cannot change their species to human, because their species is not human therefor they're not human, therefor joining a religion is not a way to let them become human.