• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between paganism and new age

Queenspeak

Riverwolf, you are correct as far as I understand the matter.

In Snorri's Prose Edda, Gylfaginning, ch. 20, the statement is made that:
"The goddesses are no less holy, and their power is equal to that of the gods."

This is an oft-quoted statement in the Heathen/Asatru community so I felt it warranted inclusion. The reason that the reminder needs to come up so often is that the lore of the goddesses did not survive as well as the tales of the Gods. I believe this is due to the fact that the transcription/retelling of myths was largely done by Christian men of a male God and that certain biases may have factored in. No one really knows what was in the minds and hearts of the Christian descendants of the Icelanders though.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Riverwolf, you are correct as far as I understand the matter.

In Snorri's Prose Edda, Gylfaginning, ch. 20, the statement is made that:
"The goddesses are no less holy, and their power is equal to that of the gods."

This is an oft-quoted statement in the Heathen/Asatru community so I felt it warranted inclusion. The reason that the reminder needs to come up so often is that the lore of the goddesses did not survive as well as the tales of the Gods. I believe this is due to the fact that the transcription/retelling of myths was largely done by Christian men of a male God and that certain biases may have factored in. No one really knows what was in the minds and hearts of the Christian descendants of the Icelanders though.

Indeed. Something I want to do is write new tales featuring the Goddesses.