• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between paganism and new age

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow. That's deep. What brought you to that faith? Who is Asgard?

Asgard is where the Gods live. It's one of the Nine Worlds in Norse cosmology. Is this cosmology real? Probably not, but it's how the ancients saw the universe. It could be another plane or dimension.

Anyway...

I was always interested in Norse mythology - 'mythology' being defined as a body of stories, not used in a fairytale sense. I was born into Roman Catholicism but Thor was always a particular hero of mine. He was probably calling me for a long time, but I was either not hearing him, or ignoring him. I practiced Hinduism for a few years and dabbled in Buddhism and Taoism. But I began to feel a stronger and stronger pull towards Thor. I bought a resin replica of a famous Icelandic statue of him, dismantled my Hindu shrine, and enshrined the statue of Thor. One day all of a sudden almost as fast as a lightning bolt, I dedicated myself to him. That's why I say he grabbed me in a headlock. He's not subtle at all.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Wow. That's deep. What brought you to that faith? Who is Asgard?
Asgard is supposed to be a place. One of the Nine(important number) Worlds/Realms-

Asgard (Aesir-World)
Alfheim (Elf-Home)
Midgard (Middle-World/Earth)
Jotunheim (Giant-Home)
Vanaheim (Vanir-Home)
Nflheim (Mist-World)
Muspelheim (Fire-Home)
Svartalfheim (Ice-Home)
Helheim (Hel-Home)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
... and does it chap anyone else's butt, or am I just that small-minded, that in the movies the -heim syllable is pronounced like "high"? Hime-dall, Vana-hime. That's German pronunciation (not that there's anything wrong with German :p) but Old Norse /ei/ is like "hay" "Haym-dall", "Vana-haym", "Nifl-haym", Jotun-haym" (at least they got the /y/ phoneme right :D).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Asgard is supposed to be a place. One of the Nine(important number) Worlds/Realms-...

"Realm? Realm?"

"You think me strange."

"Yeah, I do."

"Good strange, or bad strange?"

(I swear I'm going to get out more. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, everything I have to say on the topic I said in that older thread. And anyone who dares call me a New Ager will get a very, very evil glare in their direction. Those who conflate the two I'll give benefit of the doubt and simply roll my eyes rather than the evil glare of death.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Asgard is where the Gods live. It's one of the Nine Worlds in Norse cosmology. Is this cosmology real? Probably not, but it's how the ancients saw the universe. It could be another plane or dimension.

Anyway...

I was always interested in Norse mythology - 'mythology' being defined as a body of stories, not used in a fairytale sense. I was born into Roman Catholicism but Thor was always a particular hero of mine. He was probably calling me for a long time, but I was either not hearing him, or ignoring him. I practiced Hinduism for a few years and dabbled in Buddhism and Taoism. But I began to feel a stronger and stronger pull towards Thor. I bought a resin replica of a famous Icelandic statue of him, dismantled my Hindu shrine, and enshrined the statue of Thor. One day all of a sudden almost as fast as a lightning bolt, I dedicated myself to him. That's why I say he grabbed me in a headlock. He's not subtle at all.
That's beautiful. Do you build a relationship with Him like a Catholic does with the Eucharist or is it a different way of worship?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Haha. Better be glad I'm in a good mood ;). Thanks though.
I'm feelin' generous today.
Nietzsche's Law;
If anyone, anyone starts talking about quantum physics in anything but the most basic manner, and you don't have to Google a thesaurus and keep the Wiki page up to follow it...you know more about quantum physics than they do. I am willing to guarantee it.

That's beautiful. Do you build a relationship with Him like a Catholic does with the Eucharist or is it a different way of worship?
We don't eat Thor, no.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm feelin' generous today.
Nietzsche's Law;
If anyone, anyone starts talking about quantum physics in anything but the most basic manner, and you don't have to Google a thesaurus and keep the Wiki page up to follow it...you know more about quantum physics than they do. I am willing to guarantee it.

We don't eat Thor, no.

lol.. Not the eating part... the connection that the Eucharist has... nourishment for the spirit and body. The devotion to the Eucharist... is there a similar devotion to Thor or not as intense?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

No, I'd say it's nothing like that in the Christian sense. While I show as deep a respect as possible for who he is, he is a big brother, a friend, a buddy, a helper, a protector, a body guard. It's not anything mystical. He's probably the most chill of the Gods. He likes to party, drink, eat. There are a few things that tick him off, but it's no different than knowing what any other friend or relative dislikes, so you don't do it. He doesn't like word games or snappy comebacks. He'd rather hit. :D He's got a quick temper, but he's quick to calm down and get back to partying. He's a regular dude... a million volts more powerful regular dude. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
;)Although rather foreign to me, I can understand that. You kinda get a feeling he's a big buddy and/or because that's his characteristic in mythology and history of who he is? Good you have a friend. One priest told me "get a guardian angel. Give him/her a name." I didn't know if he meant make him/her up or not...but everyone needs a friend.

No, I'd say it's nothing like that in the Christian sense. While I show as deep a respect as possible for who he is, he is a big brother, a friend, a buddy, a helper, a protector, a body guard. It's not anything mystical. He's probably the most chill of the Gods. He likes to party, drink, eat. There are a few things that tick him off, but it's no different than knowing what any other friend or relative dislikes, so you don't do it. He doesn't like word games or snappy comebacks. He'd rather hit. :D He's got a quick temper, but he's quick to calm down and get back to partying. He's a regular dude... a million volts more powerful regular dude. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
;)Although rather foreign to me, I can understand that. You kinda get a feeling he's a big buddy and/or because that's his characteristic in mythology and history of who he is? Good you have a friend. One priest told me "get a guardian angel. Give him/her a name." I didn't know if he meant make him/her up or not...but everyone needs a friend.

Yes, that's his history and how he's been seen through the ages. I think what the priest meant is not unlike the advice given to new Pagans looking for a deity, feeling a call, but not knowing exactly who it is that's calling. As I said, I knew immediately. Open yourself up to listen for the angel, saint or deity to contact you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's a good idea... though the last one, the deity never flied with me. I have too much of an Abrahamic influence to think of him or her any different than a supreme being. I'd say the closest I'd believe in a deity is personification of nature. I do pray a lot, mostly to family. Some people "send their prayers out into the universe." Although I wouldn't disrespect this thought.. it does sound kinda weird... I do that just don't call it that. My main goal is connecting with family and trying to make a physical relationship with nature and other people. It takes time and patience. A lot of listening and seeing the blessings that life gives out.

Truely wonderful when you experience the blessings itself. Does Thorbjorn (for some reason I can't remember the deity's name you used) give blessings?

Yes, that's his history and how he's been seen through the ages. I think what the priest meant is not unlike the advice given to new Pagans looking for a deity, feeling a call, but not knowing exactly who it is that's calling. As I said, I knew immediately. Open yourself up to listen for the angel, saint or deity to contact you.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a good idea... though the last one, the deity never flied with me. I have too much of an Abrahamic influence to think of him or her any different than a supreme being. I'd say the closest I'd believe in a deity is personification of nature. I do pray a lot, mostly to family. Some people "send their prayers out into the universe." Although I wouldn't disrespect this thought.. it does sound kinda weird... I do that just don't call it that. My main goal is connecting with family and trying to make a physical relationship with nature and other people. It takes time and patience. A lot of listening and seeing the blessings that life gives out.

That sounds a lot like Animism coupled with Deism. You might also look into Shinto.

Truely wonderful when you experience the blessings itself. Does Thorbjorn (for some reason I can't remember the deity's name you used) give blessings?

I'm Thorbjorn, he's Thor (not making fun of you, that was cute :D). He's actually the God who does all the blessings. He's quite generous. He blesses marriages, births, funerals. He uses Mjollnir, the hammer for the blessing by waving it over the baby, the bride, the funeral, or whatever event. In fact, blessings can be done in his name, just as a RC priest does. Except that Asatruars use the sign of the hammer. You make a fist (which looks like a hammer head) and draw an upside down T. Asatruars sometimes bless themselves (I do, anyway) like that.
  1. Make fist.
  2. Touch forehead, say "Odin"
  3. Touch center of chest, say "Balder (Odin's son, Thor's brother).
  4. Touch left side of chest, say "Freyr (another powerful God).
  5. Touch right side of chest, say "Thor".
  6. Say "Guide my spirit forevermore".

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm Thorbjorn, he's Thor (not making fun of you, that was cute :D). He's actually the God who does all the blessings. He's quite generous. He blesses marriages, births, funerals. He uses Mjollnir, the hammer for the blessing by waving it over the baby, the bride, the funeral, or whatever event. In fact, blessings can be done in his name, just as a RC priest does. Except that Asatruars use the sign of the hammer. You make a fist (which looks like a hammer head) and draw an upside down T. Asatruars sometimes bless themselves (I do, anyway) like that.
  1. Make fist.

Interesting. I'd never heard of that.

That sounds like a great thing to have, particularly for people coming into Asatru from a Catholic background. Where'd you come across it?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. I'd never heard of that.

That sounds like a great thing to have, particularly for people coming into Asatru from a Catholic background. Where'd you come across it?

I thought you'd never ask! I forgot where I got it, checking, brb...

Found it...

Q & A/Kindred Kreators

I also recite the little verse "Thor's thunder strike, and hallowed hold us with Mjollnir's might". That's written in runes on the base of my statue.

It was actually started in defiance or in reaction to the sign of the cross when the Northern Lands were being Christianized. You can also make the sign over a horn of drink, food or anything else.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Quite unintentional, but yea.. cute. That sounds like a pretty solid belief...you worship with other people or alone? (all these questions.)

I have to read what deism means. I do have many animist beliefs. At one time I did consider myself an animist then I thought, why need labels. After awhile, the labels help a bit. Okay, I give in, yes. I am an animist. Shinto.. hm. What bothers me is I miss the community of believers the Catholic Church provides. I like structure and family ties with those who are somewhat, at least, like-minded.

I like that, though. "Sign of the Hammer." Good to use when you are worshiping, for lack of better words.

That sounds a lot like Animism coupled with Deism. You might also look into Shinto.

1. Make fist.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Quite unintentional, but yea.. cute. That sounds like a pretty solid belief...you worship with other people or alone? (all these questions.)

Alone. Most Asatruars are solitary because of the small numbers of followers. There are a few kindreds (congregations) around, but for example none in my state that I know of. Sometimes a few people will gather at someone's house for a blót (pronounced bloat) or symbel. A blót is an offering to the Gods, or a God/dess, a symbel is a toasting gathering. Basically dinner and drinks, with a reverent but not solemn atmosphere. Understand, I've never attended one, I've just read descriptions of them.

I like that, though. "Sign of the Hammer." Good to use when you are worshiping, for lack of better words.

We do call it worship. After all, we are paying reverence and respect to the Gods and Goddesses. Even though I call Thor my buddy and big brother, he gets the respect he deserves. That is, while I may tell my human brother to eff off (wait, I do tell him that :D) or flip him the bird, I would never talk to any of the Gods that way.

Queenspeak

On the topic of New Age versus Neopaganism:

These two paths share some practices in common, depending on the specific Pagan path. An example might be using tarot cards.

However, Neopaganism is an umbrella term for various *religious* movements. The deities, cosmologies, and inspiration come from non-Christian sources.

The New Age movement retains a Christian outlook and cosmology (though some beliefs are not necessarily widely accepted by Christians) and has a special fondness for angels.

I would prefer not to be called a New Ager.

Queenspeak

On the topic of Asatru:

Asatru, Germanic Paganism, is also called Heathenry.

It is a revival of indigenous beliefs of Northern Europe as far as understood by modern practitioners via Archaeology, review of medieval texts, and comparative religious study. It is also informed by modern ethics, personal insight, and the law of the land where Germans, Scandinavians, and the diaspora now live.

It is characterized by worship of the Aesir and Vanir God/desses, faith in land spirits and house spirits and reverence for one's ancestors. It has characteristics of both hard polytheism and animism.

And, yes, think Odin and Thor, but also think Frigga and Freya! The goddesses were of equal might to the Gods!