• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between Druidism and Druidry?

Theweirdtophat

I hear that the words can be used interchangeably and that they are basically the same thing but others said there are differences. Saying that Druidism is the religious practice since "ism" usually means an idea or religion like Judaism, Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, ect. and that Druidry is a practice in itself such as Alchemy, Wizardry, Carpentry as the "y" usually refers to a practice of some kind.

I was wondering if anyone knew the differences. If there is any.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I hear that the words can be used interchangeably and that they are basically the same thing but others said there are differences. Saying that Druidism is the religious practice since "ism" usually means an idea or religion like Judaism, Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, ect. and that Druidry is a practice in itself such as Alchemy, Wizardry, Carpentry as the "y" usually refers to a practice of some kind.

I was wondering if anyone knew the differences. If there is any.

The way I have heard it used and use it my self, is: Druidry is the philosophical aspect of being a Druid, One can be a Christian Druid, Norse Druid, Pagan Druid, in those instances Druidry is what is being practiced. Whereas Druidism, is the religious practice of Druidry in and of itself.

Two organizations that represent these definitions is the Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA) representing Druidry as a philosophy only.
And Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF) representing Druidry as the religion of Druidism.

Theweirdtophat

Honestly I find it confusing if one says they practice Druidry but do spiritual practices as I thought Druidry was more philosophical, not religious. But really I always thought Druidry was a craft or practice. For example, someone who practices Druidism may not practice "Druidry" as in the magical side of it. Sort of like with Wicca that even though many Wiccans practice witchcraft there's quite a few that don't and Wicca is a religion not a practice while witchcraft isn't a religion but it's a practice, like Shamanism. There is no religion called Shamanism as that predates organized religion by a mile. There have been many religions that have had shamans though.

Really I always thought Druidry was more of a practice than just a philosophy. But it seems many use Druidism and Druidry together and basically think it means the same thing but with different words.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh, I use the term "Druidry" because I think it sounds better. That, and it's rare I see "Druidism" used at all, so it just looks awkward and wrong to me... kind of like "Wiccaism." It's just not how folks refer to the religion.

Similarly, "Heathenism" sounds funny compared to "Heathenry".

Theweirdtophat

It's strange because some say Druidism is the religious side because it has the "ism" at the end like Buddhism and Jainism but then Shamanism is really more of a practice and it's not a religion. Many Shamans have their own beliefs. Also despite that "isms" are usually referring to ideas or religions there is Christianity, which is not a practice but a religion. It's not called "Christianism" or at least I've never heard it called that. And of course other religions that don't have "ism" or "y" at the end of it, like Islam.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, since you changed it, I hope people don't think that you and I practice remotely the same kind of Druidry. I haven't gotten the impression that we do.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Pretty sure all three of us practice completely differing forms of Druidry :p

"...if you ask the same question of three Druids, you'll get at least five different answers." -John Michael Greer

Theweirdtophat

Well, since you changed it, I hope people don't think that you and I practice remotely the same kind of Druidry. I haven't gotten the impression that we do.

Of course we don't. Just like if there were two members labeled "Christian" one can be Catholic while the other is Orthodox. I could also be described as a Celtic Animist. Even if we did practice the same kind of Druidry, which we don't., what would it matter?

Toten

If Druidry is the practice and Druidism is considered the belief and/or the religion, what is the difference between Druidism and Celtic Paganism? Druids were very present in Celtic Pagan society and one would assume they basically had the same religion as the common Celtic folk, especially since they were considered their religious leaders.