• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference Between Catholic Church and Orthodox

I'm not Catholic, I'm in RCIA, and learning about the church. I've always heard the word Orthodox Church and did not know until recently that it is also comes under the Catholic umbrella, correct? That's all I know of the Orthodox church.

So what exactly is the Orthodox Church and how does it differ from the Roman Catholic church?

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm not Catholic, I'm in RCIA, and learning about the church. I've always heard the word Orthodox Church and did not know until recently that it is also comes under the Catholic umbrella, correct? That's all I know of the Orthodox church.

So what exactly is the Orthodox Church and how does it differ from the Roman Catholic church?

This can get confusing.

A lot of Churches with similar traditions refer to themselves as "the Church" or "the Orthodox Church." These include the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, and Chinese Orthodox. Since Vatican II, the Roman Catholic Church has been on much better terms with the other Churches, but none of them to my knowledge have re-unified with the Roman Church.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The Catholic Church as is known in the world media (and I'm sure most of the world) is talking about the Catholic rites (24 rites total - the most recent being of Anglican flavor) that are connected to Rome and submit to it's authority. We have everything from Eastern, Copts, Chinese, Russian, etc, churches within the umbrella of the Catholic Church. All of which belong to one of the 24 rites.

What AA is talking about is more akin to autonomous mega-churches who have no central authority. They have a Patriarchs that are like their Popes if you will. So for example, you'll have the ROC (Russian Orthodox Church) with their Patriarch and you'll have another Patriarch for the Greeks. Their churches are very much connected to their cultural identity.

As a side note. The autonomy you see in what is known as the Orthodox Churches was not absent in what is now known as the Catholic Church. We were a part of them and they were a part of us. The difference is that it was well known that Rome was "first among equals". It alone was the final decision, but it always tried to solve things through a consensus and council.

Hope that helps. :)

Biblestudent_007

To learn about the Orthodox Church ask an Orthodox priest.

To learn about the Catholic Church ask a Catholic priest.

To learn about Judaism ask a Jewish Rabbi.

To learn about Hinduism ask a Hindu priest.

To learn about Buddhism ask a Buddhist.

And so on . . .etc

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
but none of them to my knowledge have re-unified with the Roman Church.
Several groups within those Churches have re-unified, but of the ones with whom communion was broken, I don't believe any have fully done so...

Also, the Maronite Church never left communion with Rome. Along with one of the Churches in India.

kepha31

A Rite represents an ecclesiastical, or church, tradition about how the sacraments are to be celebrated. Each of the sacraments has at its core an essential nature which must be satisfied for the sacrament to be confected or realized. This essence – of matter, form and intention – derives from the divinely revealed nature of the particular sacrament. It cannot be changed by the Church. Scripture and Sacred Tradition, as interpreted by the Magisterium, tells us what is essential in each of the sacraments (2 Thes. 2:15).

When the apostles brought the Gospel to the major cultural centers of their day the essential elements of religious practice were inculturated into those cultures. This means that the essential elements were clothed in the symbols and trappings of the particular people, so that the rituals conveyed the desired spiritual meaning to that culture. In this way the Church becomes all things to all men that some might be saved (1 Cor. 9:22).

There are three major groupings of Rites based on this initial transmission of the faith, the Roman, the Antiochian (Syria) and the Alexandrian (Egypt). Later on the Byzantine derived as a major Rite from the Antiochian, under the influence of St. Basil and St. John Chrysostom. From these four derive the over 20 liturgical Rites present in the Church today.

A Church is an assembly of the faithful, hierarchically ordered, both in the entire world – the Catholic Church, or in a certain territory – a particular Church. To be a sacrament (a sign) of the Mystical Body of Christ in the world, a Church must have both a head and members (Col. 1:18). The sacramental sign of Christ the Head is the sacred hierarchy – the bishops, priests and deacons (Eph. 2:19–22). More specifically, it is the local bishop, with his priests and deacons gathered around and assisting him in his office of teaching, sanctifying and governing (Mt. 28:19–20; Titus 1:4–9). The sacramental sign of the Mystical Body is the Christian faithful. Thus the Church of Christ is fully present sacramentally (by way of a sign) wherever there is a sign of Christ the Head, a bishop and those who assist him, and a sign of Christ's Body, Christian faithful. Each diocese is therefore a particular Church.
The Church of Christ is also present sacramentally in ritual Churches that represent an ecclesiastical tradition of celebrating the sacraments. They are generally organized under a Patriarch, who together with the bishops and other clergy of that ritual Church represent Christ the Head to the people of that tradition. In some cases a Rite is completely coincident with a Church. For example, the Maronite Church with its Patriarch has a Rite not found in any other Church. In other cases, such as the Byzantine Rite, several Churches use the same or a very similar liturgical Rite. For example, the Ukrainian Catholic Church uses the Byzantine Rite, but this Rite is also found in other Catholic Churches, as well as the Eastern Orthodox Churches not in union with Rome.

Finally, the Church of Christ is sacramentally present in the Universal or Catholic Church spread over the entire world. It is identified by the sign of Christ our Rock, the Bishop of Rome, Successor of St. Peter (Mt. 16:18). To be Catholic particular Churches and ritual Churches must be in communion with this Head, just as the other apostles, and the Churches they founded, were in communion with Peter (Gal. 1:18). Through this communion with Peter and his successors the Church becomes a universal sacrament of salvation in all times and places, even to the end of the age (Mt. 28:20).
(google "catholic rites and churches" ewtn)