• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you ever notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Athanasius,

It's too bad you didn't just respond to the thread in question with exactly the same comments as you made in your OP of this thread. Somehow I suspect that that would have been considered acceptable. Go figure. :rolleyes: You could have even referred to the poster by name since you were responding to his post.

athanasius

On the contrary, I believe it's perfectly fair. This forum has the rules it has for a reason; and that reason isn't for something as petty as letting atheists offend you. Do you think no atheists were offended at your insinuation that atheists need to just chill and take antidepressants? You have your right to say things within the rules as much as anyone else. You can't be upset that someone states their opinion in a way that falls withing the rules unless you're willing to let someone be similarly upset and censor you if they're upset at your opinion.

If James would have read all my post he would have seen that I was only talking about a few athiest. I also have mentioned I have encountered some nice ones. Also I mention that there were bad thiest and nomatter what you believe Theist or athiest you should be respectful. I wrote this thread to show a example of doublespeak in many Secular societies. My case was proven.

Even through he technically used slanders to offendChristians and theist about our God, we could not do the same:) . I was the only one getting blamed. My case is proven! Ahem thanks for being part of this expieriment. It went well.

UnTheist

Athanasius,

It's too bad you didn't just respond to the thread in question with exactly the same comments as you made in your OP of this thread. Somehow I suspect that that would have been considered acceptable. Go figure. :rolleyes:
You believe anti-depressants solve the problems?

Aeiralo

Do you think no atheists were offended at your insinuation that atheists need to just chill and take antidepressants?

I, in fact, was.

My sister has had to take anti-depressants (I think she also went to a mental hospital for a bit) and I almost had too because I had depression for awhile.

Just because I don't believe in a imaginary omnipotent being up in the sky doesn't mean I need antidepressants.

I may need to chill, but its not because I'm atheist.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If James would have read all my post he would have seen that I was only talking about a few athiest. I also have mentioned I have encountered some nice ones. Also I mention that there were bad thiest and nomatter what you believe Theist or athiest you should be respectful. I wrote this thread to show a example of doublespeak in many Secular societies. My case was proven.

Even through he technically used slanders to offendChristians and theist about our God, we could not do the same:) . I was the only one getting blamed. My case is proven! Ahem thanks for being part of this expieriment. It went well.
Somehow I think you're not getting the point.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Religions can be "attacked" and debated here, but our members can't be attacked or flamed. It's in the rules.

This is a community- we should be here to support each other, not make hateful posts about one another.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I agree with you Feathers. But I also believe that peole should not be allowed to offend me or other Christians by starting a thread trashing my "God in heaven"(Sky Daddy as he so rudely calls him) shame on him. If I am at fault I apologize but so should he for offending me. :yes: :yes: :yes:

I respect that and I know one's first instinct is to be offended and to feel that they have the right to confront others on this. (Believe me, I know this! It took me a looooong time to stop, and I still sometimes find myself having to go back and delete posts I've written while angry.) If you feel offended or that another member has broken the rules in creating a certain post, the best way to tackle it is either to debate it directly in the thread or simply by hitting the 'report post' button. It's true that you might not see what happens to the user as a result of mods' discussion of the thread or post, but the issue is resolved as quickly and as justly as the group of us, each offering our own insight, can make what we hope is the best decision.

I know that this is simply my point of view as a former Christian, but if I remember the God in question well enough, He would not be offended by even a loved one speaking of him in a derogatory way. I imagine that He would trust in His children to not burden themselves by being angered on His behalf. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You said athanasius should respond with the exact comments he had in the OP of the thread. Two of those suggestions were: Chill and take Anti-Depressants.

Sorry if you meant something else.
This is ludicrous. So what if he said, "Chill and take anti-depressants"? Is that really anything to come unglued over? He could have replied to LeMaverik's OP with exactly the same comments as he made in the OP of this thread -- including the statement about anti-depressants -- and nobody would have had a meltdown over it. If he had quoted LeMaverik, he wouldn't have had to mention him by name and nobody would be jumping down his throat right now. I hope for his sake that that's what he does next time. Talk about people getting worked up over nothing!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I think everyone should "chill" for a minute or two, personally. This can only get uglier as people get more upset...

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Show me one post where I blew up in his face. I thought he was serious. And I got angry about it. But that's about it. I'm Sorry?

My post, if that's what you were referring to if not then ignore this, was not directed at anyone in particular, but to everyone.

yuvgotmel

Have you ever noticed there are alot of angry people/atheist on this web board. Take so and so for example. He writes a hate letter to God. I have no idea how old he is but he sounds just like I did when I was 15 and angry at God and anyone who told me what to do. I realize that many atheist and non-theist are not like that and are at least respectful and not full of anger, but I truly feel sorry for people like LeMaverick who have so much anger and hate stored up in their life. I wish the best for those people. I hope that one day they can be happy. Maybe a few anti-depressants would help

"hate letter to God" = the first step to freedom

I'm personally offended by this thread you started singling out a poster. Is this allowable? If I were to start a thread singling out someone on this board would it be allowed? Am I allowed to do that? Are the rules that flexible only to certain TYPES of posters?

Ever heard of religious abuse?

yuvgotmel

This is ludicrous. So what if he said, "Chill and take anti-depressants"? Is that really anything to come unglued over?

What if I posted a website written by a former Mormon and asked questions concerning the information contained therein???? The last time I did that, the post was removed!!!

Sounds like someone came "unglued over" a simple inquiry!!!!

This is the exact reason I have been very disenchanted with this forum. There is a deliberate and obvious unfair treatment around here.

Can I start a thread singling out a person or two?

Will this thread establish a precedence???

yuvgotmel

I'm sorry for keeping up this rant. But as a person with Asperger Syndrome, I don't see the clearly defined rules around here. I HAVE read the rules of this forum THREE TIMES even. And yet, I see the rules being broken or bended all the time without any regulation.

WHAT ARE THE REAL RULES AROUND HERE?

Can I use this thread as a precedence from now on? If this thread is allowed to stay, then it should be seen as a means of being able to bash posters on this forum, which I am more than happy to chip in my .02.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
There are probably things going on behind the scenes that we can't see because we're not moderators. I'm sure that the moderators do everything they can to keep the peace, but there are somethings that make it by the radar, and the mods can't be blamed for that, they're only human too with their own lives.

I've noticed that often it's not the post that offensive, but how the post was worded, and a lot of times if it can just be reworded then there's no offense to be had.

Just my experience anyway....

yuvgotmel

Well I guess it all depends on how tactful you are about the whole thing. :angel2:

Let me put this as plainly as possible. I have Asperger Syndrome, (also known as High-Functioning Autism). I do not understand "tactful" from not tactful.

What I have read of the so-called "rules" of this forum are being interpreted COMPLETELY differently to me than what appears others are doing on this forum.

Aeiralo

I'm sorry for keeping up this rant. But as a person with Asperger Syndrome, I don't see the clearly defined rules around here. I HAVE read the rules of this forum THREE TIMES even. And yet, I see the rules being broken or bended all the time without any regulation.

WHAT ARE THE REAL RULES AROUND HERE?

Can I use this thread as a precedence from now on? If this thread is allowed to stay, then it should be seen as a means of being able to bash posters on this forum, which I am more than happy to chip in my .02.

I have Aspergers Syndrome, also. And I am not lying, I would tell you to ask my sister who is on this forum, but she wishes not be revealed as related to me.

Rules are meant to be broken. And is there any clearly defined rules in the real world? Laws are broken and many people get away with it, claiming temporary insanity and the such.

You better not blame everything on AS. That's the cowards way out.

yuvgotmel

I have Aspergers Syndrome, also. And I am not lying, I would tell you to ask my sister who is on this forum, but she wishes not be revealed as related to me.

Rules are meant to be broken. And is there any clearly defined rules in the real world? Laws are broken and many people get away with it, claiming temporary insanity and the such.

You better not blame everything on AS. That's the cowards way out.

I'm not blaming anything on AS. I'm saying that what I read in black-and-white on the Forum Rules is not what I see on this forum. Several times people have told me "well it's all in the way you word things." What does that mean anyway? Is there any more specifics that can give me a clue as to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable? I read the Forum Rules THREE TIMES. And yet, what I see on the boards is not congruent. The Opening Post of this thread is one such example.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm not blaming anything on AS. I'm saying that what I read in black-and-white on the Forum Rules is not what I see on this forum. Several times people have told me "well it's all in the way you word things." What does that mean anyway? Is there any more specifics that can give me a clue as to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable? I read the Forum Rules THREE TIMES. And yet, what I see on the boards is not congruent. The Opening Post of this thread is one such example.

Perhaps you could PM a mod or an admin and ask that they go through the rules one by one with you, then you can ask them specific questions about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.